Devon Malcolm

DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Yeah, they always were. And the "Cinematic Universe" idea, for pretty much everyone but Marvel, is really no different to what Toho have done with the Godzilla franchise since the 1960s, and arguably just an extension of the "Frankenstein Vs. The Wolf-Man" Universal Monsters crossovers of the '50s. 

Marvel have just realised that they can do what they did with comic books, and make you feel like you need to have seen all of them to understand the new one. Like how old Spider-Man comics would have a line of dialogue with the foot-note, "see Incredible Hulk #62". 

24 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Weren't lazy franchises already a thing anyway?

Of course, but not on the scale they're being done now. 

2 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Of course, but not on the scale they're being done now. 

Yep, we've had shit with franchises, just look at horror films for the best examples, but I didn't need to catch up with Saw 5 to get the full gist of Friday The 13th part 42.  Even Freddy Vs Jason may have been a "Multiverse" type but you could watch it as a standalone if you like awful films.

You can watch the comic films as standalone as well. I don't bother watching them all, just the ones that look appealing. I'm sure there's some things that might've sailed over my head bit nothing that materially impacted the plot.

5 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

You can watch the comic films as standalone as well. I don't bother watching them all, just the ones that look appealing. I'm sure there's some things that might've sailed over my head bit nothing that materially impacted the plot.

I disagree.  I've seen about half of the Marvel ones, mainly because my girlfriend is a fan, but I still had to ask her who characters were and their significance in the last two and why so and so didn't like each other etc.

16 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

You can watch the comic films as standalone as well.

Can you? I can't see how you could watch the most recent Avengers one without having seen the previous two, Captain Marvel and a bunch of other stuff from what I can gather, but ok.

Well obviously to watch Avengers you will need to have seen the other Avengers movies. They're sequels. But I don't think you need to have seen all the other characters' solo efforts.

4 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Can you? I can't see how you could watch the most recent Avengers one without having seen the previous two, Captain Marvel and a bunch of other stuff from what I can gather, but ok.

You can save time by watching either a 15 or 30 minute video put together to get you up to speed to watch the standalone film, or save even more time by not watching the film at all.

29 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

You can save time by watching either a 15 or 30 minute video put together to get you up to speed to watch the standalone film, or save even more time by not watching the film at all.

I think, as well, there's a misunderstanding of the criticisms of these universes and a downplaying of the concerns of those who don't like them. You criticise the constant flow of these films and the cinema space they are taking up at the expense not just of smaller, independent films but larger budget Hollywood productions and you're either labelled as a killjoy or someone doing it as a 'personality trait'.

I don't doubt there are plenty that fit into those categories. And while I can absolutely see the appeal these films have had for so many people, there are repercussions for the film industry as a whole if we allow Disney to homogenise cinema as it is being allowed to. That's my concern. Short term fun is not more important than long term consequences. There have been a string of box office disappointments in the last year and a half that can certainly be attributed, in decent part, to the fact that there is always a Marvel or other comic book film in the cinema.

The only redemption of any comic book film is that Gregg Turkington had a cameo in Ant Man.

It is fucking bullshit though. we've only the one cinema in Wrexham now, and Odeon, and of the 7 screens at least 3 are usually taken up with the latest superhero tosh and many films worth viewing don't get a look in. The government should ration super hero films. One a year.

That's a superb idea. Also, all British National Cinemas (as they will be called) to show Mike Leigh's Nuts in May in perpetuity.

Edited by PowerButchi

I'm sure your concerns are at least somewhat warranted Devon. You know far more about this stuff than me. I don't even go to the cinema.

But I do maintain my belief that you don't have to see all the superhero films to be able to enjoy any of them.

Hollywood always runs anything good into the ground.

I think we may have all forgotten how fucking terrible comicbook movies were up until Iron Man.  With the odd honourable exception, every film was a complete reboot of the character and thus entirely backstory and exposition.  Every film lived isolated from all others and any major bad guy introduced was killed off by the end of the film.

All of which completely ignored what makes comic books great - character development.  Nobody ever reads one comic book, you buy them every week and read them relentlessly during your adolescence (or further if you are a geek).  They have characters and relationships that span years, decades, intricate weavings of stories that create a compelling universe.

This is what Marvel did so well - decide to tackle film making like it's a tv series or book series.  The subtle interweaving of franchises, returning characters and most importantly they got past the origin stories into actual interesting shit.

All of this made a lot of money, and so the handle cranks round and we get a half dozen Marvel movies a year which is WAY too many.  I completely get Gladstone's annoyance, to watch either of the last 2 Avengers movies you basically needed a PhD in Marvel Cinematic Universe.  Now I'm hoping they go back to individual movies (albeit with continuity between them) as I'm mighty tired of watching 30 minute long CGI spaff fests.  More Thor / GOTG style light comedies please.  We are talking about comic books after all.