Devon Malcolm

DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

I watched the mockumentary Tour de Pharmacy the other night. An HBO thing taking the piss out of doping in cycling. It's silly but very funny. Some of the jokes don't land but the cast is all-star and really elevates it. John Cena, Jeff Goldblum, Andy Samberg, dolph lundgren and more..

It's only 40min long. Well worth a watch.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

2 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I watched the mockumentary Tour de Pharmacy the other night. An HBO thing taking the piss out of doping in cycling. It's silly but very funny. Some of the jokes don't land but the cast is all-star and really elevates it. John Cena, Jeff Goldblum, Andy Samberg, dolph lundgren and more..

It's only 40min long. Well worth a watch.

They did a tennis one called 7 Days in Hell which is similarly silly. Worth a look if you liked Tour.

I decided to go and see Amazing Grace after John Wick. It's a completely unfussy presentation, which features just the footage that was filmed - no narration and little in the way of tricks. Essentially it presents the performance and what happened that day, and nothing else. I'm not really much of a fan of gospel music, but the performances are so energetic and Aretha Franklin is such a force that it was impossible not to get swept up in it. Initially, I groaned a bit because I thought it was a proper documentary (the trailer is very clever), but stayed till the end and enjoyed it.

I have recently watched Snowpiercer (really good) and See You Yesterday (meh) on Netflix.

Snowpiercer, fantastic performance from Tilda Swinton. Is there anything else from the last five or ten years with a really good east-meets-west feel that's on Netflix?

9 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

I have recently watched Snowpiercer (really good) and See You Yesterday (meh) on Netflix.

Snowpiercer, fantastic performance from Tilda Swinton. Is there anything else from the last five or ten years with a really good east-meets-west feel that's on Netflix?

The same director did Okja, that might fit the bill for you. It's not quite as good but still very much so.

Went on a bit of a movie kick over this weekend

Watched Offerings last night as I'd recently picked it up on Bluray, half way in I wish I hadn't as it was pretty woeful even by 80's slasher standards with a killer that seemed to be a shit hybrid of unmasked Jason, Michael Myers and Leatherface

Then today on Netflix I watched Return of the Living Dead, which is one of my favorite zombie movies, Birdman which I've been wanting to see for a long time and didn't disappoint and Robin Hood Men In Tights, which I haven't seen since I was younger and never stopped laughing at throughout

Rewatched TOP SECRET yesterday as I saw a discussion on it online. My word I think it might just be the Zuckers finest hour. It's utterly packed with jokes. I love those films.

On 5/20/2019 at 12:48 PM, Factotum said:

Rewatched TOP SECRET yesterday as I saw a discussion on it online. My word I think it might just be the Zuckers finest hour. It's utterly packed with jokes. I love those films.

I really hated this when I rewatched this around Christmas. With these sorts of spoof films, I find they either absolutely knock it out of the park or totally fail. Didn't laugh once at it.

One for fellow Ben Foster junkie @Scott Malbranque, just watched Galveston. Pretty good crime thriller, this, and the main man is as good as ever. Probably needed to be a bit longer to flesh out the story more but it's still really good. Melanie Laurent should be a director to watch going off this and Breathe, which is an *amazing* film.

I really hated this when I rewatched this around Christmas. With these sorts of spoof films, I find they either absolutely knock it out of the park or totally fail. Didn't laugh once at it.

I have judged you

Rocketman

I'm not a huge fan of Sir Elton, but I thought this was terrific.  I could not place who was playing his mum until the credits rolled and at that point I realised why she had aroused me so.

I liked Bohemian Rhapsody, but this was head and shoulders better if I were making a hierarchy of recent music biopics. 

One tiny point that will either make no difference to you or result in possible face chewing off... The songs are matched to the narrative rather than the chronology.  An example that isn't in the film: 1975 in a hip London club someone says to Elton, "wow you can really feel the love in here tonight" and then they all break into "Can you feel the love tonight" from The Lion King that was released in the 90s.  75% of my brain went with it, but 25% wanted me to check Sir Elt's discography as it was sure song X hadn't been recorded at this point.

Edit: I fucked the spoiler up so I removed it. Needless to say BR holds the upper hand in that regard.

Also, after this and Eddie the Eagle Taryn Egerton should just do biopics as he's excellent in them.

Cameo spoiler

One tiny point that will either make no difference to you or result in possible face chewing off... The songs are matched to the narrative rather than the chronology.  An example that isn't in the film: 1975 in a hip London club someone says to Elton, "wow you can really feel the love in here tonight" and then they all break into "Can you feel the love tonight" from The Lion King that was released in the 90s.  75% of my brain went with it, but 25% wanted me to check Sir Elt's discography as it was sure song X hadn't been recorded at this point.

Edited by johnnyboy

Watched Speed Racer tonight. The usual experience with a Wachowskis film - yeah this looks great but I hate everything else about it.

Apart from Roger Allam, in this case.

It is shit but at least the visuals would be quite something on a big screen.

Just saw Beats, which was superb. Shame it's been hawked around as a Trainspotting-alike, because it's a fair bit different and great in its own right. Soundtrack is better too.

Furie has just been added to Netflix, notable for being one of only a handful of Vietnamese action films ever made. Really, really good, can't imagine many not having a good time with this. Veronica Ngo is great in the lead.

Also watched Baywatch, which was surprisingly not at all shit. Zac Efron looks about 50 in this though.