DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Watched Catch Me If You Can again last night. I wonder if he hadn't made the movies he'd made up to and including Jurassic Park how he'd be regarded as a filmmaker for the last 25 years. Loads of really solid and enjoyable films like this, but nothing great. He'd be the new Peter Hyams, which is a huge compliment.

3 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Watched Catch Me If You Can again last night. I wonder if he hadn't made the movies he'd made up to and including Jurassic Park how he'd be regarded as a filmmaker for the last 25 years. Loads of really solid and enjoyable films like this, but nothing great. He'd be the new Peter Hyams, which is a huge compliment.

Funnily enough, I re-watched CMIYC again the other week. I thought it held up pretty well and I have no problem with Spielberg making films for the masses. I also caught the epic documentary about him on HBO which was good without throwing up any real criticism or revelations - his family life has had a massive impact on his work, but not negatively. Fine with me. With Raiders, Jaws, ET and Schindler's List he cemented his place in the pantheon. It really doesn't matter what he does now - he could remake Saw and still go down as one of the GOATs.

The fact that he churns out films like CMIYC and Munich during the down swerve of his career goes to show how bloody good he is. He's hardly making Rocky and Bullwinkle is he.

I think I prefer his less showy films as well. In a blockbuster industry he helped shape he's one of a dying breed of film makers who can release a story/character driven film and have it shown to a decent degree.

What I really need to do (apart from fucking off from the forum forever because I'm a prick and the worst poster ever etc) is sit my wife down and make her watch E.T. If she don't like that film, then we're getting divorced. She's getting at least a raised eyebrow if she's not into it. 

• Paid Members

Not really deserving of its own thread as it's only IndieWire, plus the decade's not even over yet ffs, but they've published their top 100 of the 2010s.

https://www.indiewire.com/gallery/best-movies-of-2010s-decade/

Like all lists it's of no real importance but this one's quite good in highlighting a few films that largely got ignored, and there are a few here I've not heard of at all. No Villeneuve at all though, so fellow Denis fans might want to bow out.

• Paid Members

We should just be thankful Speilberg is still churning out good (if unremarkable) work, when you consider how many top directors appear to lose it when they get their bus pass. I always check out his work with the hope we get something remarkable once more but while usually always enjoyable, you're left wanting more.

I was excited for Ready Player One because it was the first film in a while where he was working with pure fiction. Sadly, it led to a bit of a muddled effort.

So long as he doesn't mess up Indiana again. 

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

We should just be thankful Speilberg is still churning out good (if unremarkable) work, when you consider how many top directors appear to lose it when they get their bus pass. I always check out his work with the hope we get something remarkable once more but while usually always enjoyable, you're left wanting more.

I was excited for Ready Player One because it was the first film in a while where he was working with pure fiction. Sadly, it led to a bit of a muddled effort.

So long as he doesn't mess up Indiana again. 

I enjoyed Ready Player One despite its obvious flaws.

I'm not looking forward to West Side Story for obvious reasons but he's been pretty consistent the last few years. Bridge of Spies, The Post, Ready Player One and even The BFG were worth seeing.

• Paid Members

Large chunks of Ready Player One are very enjoyable and show Speilberg still has it, in regards to adventure and ideas within such adventure. However, parts of the script were annoyingly clunky.  It's in no way a bad film.

I winced a little when he was announced to direct West Side Story because musicals are a thing again, but I'll definitely check it out. Just annoying it caused him to delay the new Indiana Jones film.

10 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I personally rank Saving Private Ryan and War Of The Worlds up there with his best.  War Of The Worlds in particular, the first hour or so of that is incredible film making.  I don't know of another director who's able to embed you inside the action as well as Spielberg, it's a mastery of every facet of the art that allows him to do that.

The Adventures of Tintin is also far and away the best 3d film ever made, as well as being a fantastic and faithful adaptation.

I think we often almost don't notice how good Spielberg is as a director because a) we expect it and b) we're too busy being entertained to notice.

EDIT: War Of The Worlds lost out to King Kong for the Oscars for Visual Effects, Sound Mixing and Sound Editing that year.  That makes me very angry, they're not even in the same league.

Edited by Loki

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Loki said:

The Adventures of Tintin is also far and away the best 3d film ever made, as well as being a fantastic and faithful adaptation.

As someone who watches far too many 3D films, it's not. Not a patch on Avatar, Hugo, Gravity or Dredd. That doesn't stop it being a wonderful film. It was my favourite Spielberg film in at least a decade. The fact it pretty much flopped in the US was massively disappointing. I really wish Peter Jackson would pull his finger out on making the sequel (which I believe due to international box office was still on the table)