Sign in to follow this  
Devon Malcolm

DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Christ, I hope I look like that when I'm 50.  Hats off to your training regimen, Devon.

20 minutes ago, Loki said:

Christ, I hope I look like that when I'm 50.  Hats off to your training regimen, Devon.

Was so disappointed to go back a page and not see an actual photo of a super ripped 50 year old Devon he'd posted.

I did mean facially, not bodily. That's the first time anyone's ever used 'training regimen' in association with my name, and almost certainly the last.

Rocketman is surprisingly very enjoyable. Yes, it suffers from the same "so, I just sat down at the piano at this scene and whipped out Candle In The Wind" hammy stuff most biopics do, but it's good fun for a film about a bloke losing his mind to the music business.

Some interesting choices, in terms of how they shot the songs in musical sections - they're the best part of the film, along with the costumes and them not trying their hardest to downplay Elton's sexuality.

You get the sense John is/was a bigger knob than the film lets on (painting him as a sympathetic figure), but that is to be expected.

watched two films today.

American Animals was one that I had missed on it's limited run and has turned up on Amazon Prime. I avoided trailers and the true events so went in cold and found it really well made and enjoyable.

Then I saw Aladdin. A film I had to see bacause Disney Podcasts but I thought looked fucking awful. I can say however it is probably Guy Ritches best work in the last decade (he says not having seen the Sherlock films) and is probably the best live action remake they have done. Really think the marketing has let it down and it wouldn't surprise me if its a bit of a flop but I thought it was brilliant. Even Will Smith was pretty good, and we know how shit he is (insert link to thread here)

On 5/22/2019 at 3:01 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

It is shit but at least the visuals would be quite something on a big screen.

Just saw Beats, which was superb. Shame it's been hawked around as a Trainspotting-alike, because it's a fair bit different and great in its own right. Soundtrack is better too.

Really excited to see this as only just found out it's based on a one man show I saw a few years back (the show was hillarious and the guy performing it was fantastic - he'd be doing a conversation jumping between gurned up raver and policeman like it was nothing). 

Netflix put two more new ones out today.

Rim of the World probably could have been a good laugh but McG predictably fucked it, undoing most of the goodwill he built up with The Babysitter.

The Perfection was absolutely cracking though. I was really interested to see what Allison Williams would do after Get Out but she's arguably even better in this. Completely potty, wobbles a bit near the ending but the final shot is an all-timer. Great companion piece to Whiplash too.

Glass.  All I could think about was poor Scotty, he must have been broken and devastated after this :( 

Just now, Keith Houchen said:

Glass.  All I could think about was poor Scotty, he must have been broken and devastated after this :( 

Remains the only film I walked out of because I had the shits, which was entirely fitting.

Detective Pikachu was a film of two halves.  The first half was elbow in the ribs from the Mrs you're making a scene from laughing too loudly good.  The mystery solving second half was not so great.

PG rating scene description spoiler

Doing a Reservoir Dogs petrol dousing, but getting that PG rating by doing it in mime to a Pokémon was beautiful.

Edited by johnnyboy

On 5/12/2019 at 7:17 PM, Onyx2 said:

I thought Detective Pikachu was fine, an amusing distraction...  I didn't think it was dark at all...

The darkest bit would have, at least I would have hoped it would have, sailed over the heads of kids and was ostensibly played for laughs:

The "petrol" soaked interrogation.

See You Yesterday

I really enjoyed this, as a fun little time travel caper and it has one of the greatest people in the world in a cameo, but I must have switched off in the last 20 minutes as I didn't understand the ending at all.

Rim Of The World

Again, enjoyed it, and the hokey effects (puppets???) just added to it to be honest, rather than took anything away. I suspect McG's tongue was firmly in his cheek.

Standard alien invasion fare, but I thought the four kids had good chemistry and all seemed to be having a good old time. Tonally, a bit all over the shop though.

The Fugitive

Cant remember if I’ve ever seen this before (new meds’ means my memory is absolutely shot at the moment) but this is absolutely superb. A film I couldn’t take my eyes off. I love Harrison Ford so very, very much.

Training Day

I don't think I've watched this since it first came out but Denzel truly deserved that Oscar for his performance in it. Him in this film is everything Will Smith wishes he was as an actor.