DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

She was by far the best thing in it. But awful CGI, Eddie Marsden and a shit script which made the whole plot of the film completely redundant by the last scene meant it was a waste. Not a patch on the first by a long stretch.

Sorry, man - just can't agree. The CGI didn't bother me - they'd already made a joke about budgets and whatnot, and where it really mattered, i.e. Cable, it looked fine to me. Script, I didn't notice anything particularly bad, I found it snappy, grotesque, and hilarious. The plot, I enjoyed. It's formulaic after a fashion, but I thought it was executed well enough, and I just loved the X-Force bit; it was very "that".

Aside from his politics, I don't really mind Eddie Marsan all that much, mainly because almost everything I've seen him in, he was too minor to notice. The only other thing I saw anything of that he was significant in was Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, and I thought he was decent in that.

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Sorry, man - just can't agree. The CGI didn't bother me - they'd already made a joke about budgets and whatnot, and where it really mattered, i.e. Cable, it looked fine to me. Script, I didn't notice anything particularly bad, I found it snappy, grotesque, and hilarious. The plot, I enjoyed. It's formulaic after a fashion, but I thought it was executed well enough, and I just loved the X-Force bit; it was very "that".

Aside from his politics, I don't really mind Eddie Marsan all that much, mainly because almost everything I've seen him in, he was too minor to notice. The only other thing I saw anything of that he was significant in was Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, and I thought he was decent in that.

The bit which I felt the CGI was shocking was the car chase, most of the effects were fine, but that was awful (I’ve seen it at the cinema and again with the wife at home and that scene is near PS2 levels). The jokes about the budget were because they were double what they got for the original, which led to the original director quit. 

The film is a revenge flick. It’s the whole basis of the film. Yet the end of the film reverses the cause of the revenge, making the film redundant. The x-force bit was fun, I agree.

Eddie Marsden, good actor, shit person. I can’t seperate the two, in the same way I can’t enjoy Kevin Spacey films or Benoit matches. If I hate the person, I can’t separate the act.

anyway, I’m glad you enjoyed it, I wish I could have

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

What has Marsan done to out him in that unenvisble category?

He's a centrist dad but at least he doesn't post about superhero films in the wrong thread.

Scum

This was the only film I wasn’t allowed to watch when I was younger and I remember my Dad going off at my sisters when they showed it to me, like he had never done before. 

Haven't watched it for a few years and it’s still one of the most harrowing films I’ve ever seen.

Fell asleep watching last night and finished the last half hour this morning. I’ve had cheerier starts to a Saturday...

• Paid Members

Teenage DEF had the VHS of Menace II Society along with a whole slew of other 90's African American gangster movies that followed Boyz N The Hood. With the exception of Boyz N The Hood I haven't gone back to these movies since upgrading to DVD in 2000. Last night 36 year old DEF got a little nostalgic and rented Menace II Society from Amazon. Yep it's a tough sit. I actually liked it slightly better than I thought I was going to but at 98 minutes it felt like it was 20 minutes too long, dragging hard at around the hour mark.

I was also sort of taken aback by just how negative a representation of African Americans it was. Obviously these types of movies are inherently specifically about inner city gang culture but nobody in it is particularly likable and for the most part every character is a chore to be around. They make horrible life choices or are utterly deplorable, often for no real reason. It feels pretty like a terrified middle class white guy's prejudice nightmare, rather than a genuine reflection of African Americans. There's also little to no humour or charisma in it which lends it to be wholly one dimensional. Once you get to the tediously inevitable tragic ending your begging for them all to get shot just to get it over with.

Teenage DEF was before The Wire. 36 year old DEF will stick to The Wire. 

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

If you want a grown up representation of that genre set in the modern age then I wholeheartedly endorse Blindspotting as recommended on here by D-Mal. It's bloody great.

I noticed that on Netflix last night.

Cheers, I will give it a go next week.

• Paid Members

Seeing as Netflix have slowly uploaded some really great films over the past month or so, I'm trying to make my way through 'My List'.

Last night was American Made. Needless to type, Tom Cruise is good value as the smooth talking chancer. Overall it's a good movie with very little to bitch about, other than it never really dares to approach anything outstanding, instead being a pastiche of similar films they've pinched from (whether that be the soundtrack).

3 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Scum

This was the only film I wasn’t allowed to watch when I was younger and I remember my Dad going off at my sisters when they showed it to me, like he had never done before. 

Haven't watched it for a few years and it’s still one of the most harrowing films I’ve ever seen.

Fell asleep watching last night and finished the last half hour this morning. I’ve had cheerier starts to a Saturday...

Now you've got the banned BBC TV version to watch too..

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, DEF said:

Teenage DEF had the VHS of Menace II Society along with a whole slew of other 90's African American gangster movies that followed Boyz N The Hood. With the exception of Boyz N The Hood I haven't gone back to these movies since upgrading to DVD in 2000. Last night 36 year old DEF got a little nostalgic and rented Menace II Society from Amazon. Yep it's a tough sit. I actually liked it slightly better than I thought I was going to but at 98 minutes it felt like it was 20 minutes too long, dragging hard at around the hour mark.

I was also sort of taken aback by just how negative a representation of African Americans it was. Obviously these types of movies are inherently specifically about inner city gang culture but nobody in it is particularly likable and for the most part every character is a chore to be around. They make horrible life choices or are utterly deplorable, often for no real reason. It feels pretty like a terrified middle class white guy's prejudice nightmare, rather than a genuine reflection of African Americans. There's also little to no humour or charisma in it which lends it to be wholly one dimensional. Once you get to the tediously inevitable tragic ending your begging for them all to get shot just to get it over with.

Teenage DEF was before The Wire. 36 year old DEF will stick to The Wire. 

I think Menace II Society is a pretty fucking terrible film. Compare it to something like Boyz N The Hood which is so full of warmth, love, sadness and tragedy. Menace feels like exploitation in comparison.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

He is obviously a worse person than Walt Disney was.

Walt Disney has some dodgy stuff in his history, depending on whose version of his history you believe.

Eddie Marsden publicly airs his elitest views. Also, I’ve never shared my views on Walt Disney. Because frankly I am more a fan of the company post him anyway. 

1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Eddie Marsden publicly airs his elitest views. Also, I’ve never shared my views on Walt Disney. Because frankly I am more a fan of the company post him anyway. 

I've not seen any of his elitist views other than the dinner party>a pub one which was a comment he says was taken out of context but even so,  it hardly puts him alongside double murder suicide and noncey fiddler fayre. Most actors are fucking dicks on some level.