DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

The Fan

Haven't seen it probably since the late 90s, and got prompted by that Travolta trailer for his new one.

I’m a complete De Niro fanboy and thought the film holds up well, but Gil isn’t particularly that menacing, not when compared to Max Cady. But a cracking cast (forgot Del Toro was in it), and I always enjoy watching Ellen Barkin. 

I also rewatched Lost In Translation and still love it. Scarlett Johansson singing The Pretenders is one of the sexiest things ever put on film, and it’s not even that sexy. 

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

The Fan

Haven't seen it probably since the late 90s, and got prompted by that Travolta trailer for his new one.

I’m a complete De Niro fanboy and thought the film holds up well, but Gil isn’t particularly that menacing, not when compared to Max Cady. But a cracking cast (forgot Del Toro was in it), and I always enjoy watching Ellen Barkin. 

Weirdly, I also rewatched The Fan this week, I thought Wesley Snipes was pretty decent for his part and while you're spot on about De Niro compared to his role in Cape Fear, I liked the slow boil with him cracking as things fall apart. It's not Michael Douglas in Falling Down or anything, but De Niro makes it believable.   

No mention of Crawl yet? As Devon Malcolm would say, it's "good fun". Girl gets trapped in a basement and has to fend off alligators. I liked it but I was hoping for a twist or something that didn't come. I dunno, it's done well, but it would have been nice if it had gone a bit more into parody mode seeing as it was a genre flick and it's 2019. I preferred the director's previous film, Piranah 3D.

Edited by Brewster McCloud

• Paid Members
Just now, Brewster McCloud said:

No mention of Crawl yet? As Devon Malcolm would say, it's "good fun". 

I haven't even seen it yet, Wendell, give me a chance.

Another good film to check out, no matter my sinister multiple personas, is Child's Play. For a remake 80s horror, I thought it was pretty good. I don't hold the original in particularly high esteem, but I thought the new version diid a really good job of balancing humor with some effective nasty bits. And it got the job done in 90 minutes without being all "important". After watching Stranger Things 3 I'm a sucker for effective 80s nostalgia, and the Child's Play remake did the whole "at-first-hostile-group-of-kids-banding-together" thing very well. 

Just watched Looper again for the second time. That scene where Seth is having his fingers, nose and feet amputated while at the same time old Seths body parts are disappearing one by one is complete bollocks!

• Awards Moderator
3 minutes ago, 5pints said:

Just watched Looper again for the second time. That scene where Seth is having his fingers, nose and feet amputated while at the same time old Seths body parts are disappearing one by one is complete bollocks!

It's a great visual and concept but yeah don't think about it too much as the logic of the entire film is completely wrong! 

• Paid Members

I really liked Looper, Rian Johnson's record is so far unblemished. Knives Out is one of my most anticipated films of the year.

Rewatched Dead Man's Shoes and Grosse Pointe Blank today, always great when a film is as good as you remembered it being and they both were. Regarding the latter, George Armitage really should have made more films because Miami Blues was fantastic too.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

It's a great visual and concept but yeah don't think about it too much as the logic of the entire film is completely wrong! 

There's a great line in the film "this time travel crap, it fries your brain like an egg" which is just an utterly genius line that excuses anything the film wants to do. Because in any film if you think even slightly too much about the logic of time travel it never makes any sense and the plot logic quickly falls apart. 

• Paid Members

I've yet to watch Looper, due to me completely falling out of love with Bruce Willis after I paid to see him half arse his way through the last Die Hard. Fuck off, Bruce.

I finally got round to watching Creed 2 last night (thanks Netflix). It survives what was looking like a ropey start to be another good addition to the Rocky story. As much as Sly still wears the Rocky suit effortlessly, MBJ is almost a perfect casting for the role of Apollo Creed's son - cocky, charismatic and he'd make a Sun reader swoon. The big lad that plays Drago's son is terrifyingly great too.
These Creed films have been a tremendous surprise, so far. I remember when the first Creed film got announced and I turned my nose up at it, expecting Stallone to undo the work he did on the underrated Rocky Balboa (supposed) finale, but two films in and it's going well. Neither film gets close to capturing Rocky at it's best, but it's a good time.

• Paid Members
38 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

Stuber

Great fun with Big Dave, although the scrunched up face did make me think he'd just had a face lift.  More laughs than I'd expected and a nice pick me up.

I realy want to see this, but it's all ready been relegated to the 22:30 slot at my local so it's gonna have to be a watch at home for me. Fucking Lion King