DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

The little voice in my head that makes me watch terrible films on Netflix made me watch The Dark Tower tonight. Tower of shite, more like. Awful. 

I didn't mind it, actually. I'm sure it's a terrible adaptation but it was a breezy enough 90 minutes.

• Awards Moderator
48 minutes ago, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

Whatever you do resist the urge to put that pile of shit on, I did it last week and it's an hour and a half I'll never get back

Too late! I don’t know why, but I’m halfway through it and I’m actually quite enjoying it...

• Paid Members

The Dead Don't Die is one of the biggest disappointments this year. Given the cast and Jim Jarmusch's recent output, I was willing this film to be good, but it never gets going at all and is a bit of a slog. It's a lot of deadpan piss takes on the tired genre that may be clever but are never as funny as they need to be.

There is also a couple of 4th wall breaking gags that are clunky and not very good.

Sigh.

5 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Just saw Yesterday. Typical Richard Curtis fan. Far too predictable and found it average. In terms of music films, it’s no Rocketman 

I was put off by the poster I see on practically every bus, it's just Tamwar Masood pulling a face.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

I was put off by the poster I see on practically every bus, it's just Tamwar Masood pulling a face.

He’s not bad in it for a first lead role. But it’s so fucking generic. And Ed Sheeran is a shit actor

• Paid Members

The Dead Don't Die is pretty much what I expected from a Jim Jarmusch zombie film. It's just that the two things don't mix at all and it ends up being insubstantial as a whole. It's still funny though and the cast are brilliant.

Stuber is a really enjoyable buddy cop film, as I expected. Shame they don't do more with Iko Uwais and Karen Gillan, but Big Dave is an absolute treasure and those rotters who booed him at that Royal Rumble deserve their letterboxes shitting through. Looking forward to seeing what @Scott Malbranque makes of it.

The Little Hours

Fucking hell, what a mess of a film. A cast of Aubrey Plaza, Alison Brie, Dave Franco, Molly Shannon, Nick Offerman, John C Reilly, Jemima Kirke. What an absolute waste. I couldn’t work out what it was trying to do.

I will sit through some shit and not mind (all those Netflix romcoms for instance) but I’m angry that I wasted 90 minutes on this.

On a more positive note, I watched The Edge of Seventeen again and have decided it’s in my top 10 of all time. I just love it.

• Paid Members

Rewatched Atomic Blonde last night. It's still somewhat disappointing but quite enjoyable, it would be better without the constant needle drops and John le Carre plot.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Jacko said:

Just been to watch stuber didn’t have high expectations going in but was far funnier then I thought it would be, Big Dave is the man 

Super, I’ll check it out next week. Jaws tomorrow then Lion King Friday which looks shit

• Paid Members
On 7/16/2019 at 5:10 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

Stuber is a really enjoyable buddy cop film, as I expected. Shame they don't do more with Iko Uwais and Karen Gillan, but Big Dave is an absolute treasure and those rotters who booed him at that Royal Rumble deserve their letterboxes shitting through. Looking forward to seeing what @Scott Malbranque makes of it.

You know me and my love for buddy cop flicks so well, boss. I really, thoroughly enjoyed it. I spent the guts of the flick smiling with childlike abandon, and I'd watch it a couple more times when I can watch it on my sofa, so job done. Not quite up to KKBB (obviously) or even The Hitmans Bodyguard standard, but far better than most buddy action comedies that have been circulating for the last two decades and the chemistry between Nanjiani and Big Dave was lovely.
A few dialogue misfires aside (Although none by Big Dave. That man's comic timing is top shelf stuff), and I was conflicted about Iko Uwais - because I don't like seeing him as a baddy, yet he was very fucking good at it - Stuber gets a solid hord'n from me.

Big D really is a fabulous specimen, isn't he? He can really elevate anything he's in these days. He was the one of the only good things about Guardians of the Galaxy 2 and I loved Final Score so much, I've watched it thrice. It's my go-to hangover movie.

I haven't watched either Escape Plan sequel though. And I don't want to, either.

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, Scott Malbranque said:

You know me and my love for buddy cop flicks so well, boss. I really, thoroughly enjoyed it. I spent the guts of the flick smiling with childlike abandon, and I'd watch it a couple more times when I can watch it on my sofa, so job done. Not quite up to KKBB (obviously) or even The Hitmans Bodyguard standard, but far better than most buddy action comedies that have been circulating for the last two decades and the chemistry between Nanjiani and Big Dave was lovely.
A few dialogue misfires aside (Although none by Big Dave. That man's comic timing is top shelf stuff), and I was conflicted about Iko Uwais - because I don't like seeing him as a baddy, yet he was very fucking good at it - Stuber gets a solid hord'n from me.

Big D really is a fabulous specimen, isn't he? He can really elevate anything he's in these days. He was the one of the only good things about Guardians of the Galaxy 2 and I loved Final Score so much, I've watched it thrice. It's my go-to hangover movie.

I haven't watched either Escape Plan sequel though. And I don't want to, either.

Glad you enjoyed it!

I also enjoyed Final Score, it was one of those actioners that definitely needed someone in the lead who was embracing how daft it was, and he definitely did. What I like about him as well is that he doesn't have action star ego, he doesn't mind being beaten up on screen unlike Seagal or Norris.

I watched Escape Plan 2. I won't be watching 3.