Racist / Homophobic / Offensive Things Your Family Has Said

Devon Malcolm

• Awards Moderator
My Step-Mother recently stated that there's no such thing as homosexuality, they're just doing it for attention.

I can't quite get my head round this... half of me finds it inexplicably hilarious, but the other half is curious to know how she came to this conclusion...

• Paid Members

Another gem from my mum was to my sisters eldest step-daughter. She is 18 and has been described by my mum as "Lesbian on occassion" because sometimes she has a boyfriend and sometimes a girlfriend. A few weeks ago when they came round to our house for dinner she was greeted with the question "Do you like cock today or what?" Needless to say that the awkward silence that followed was broken only by the sound of me trying not to laugh and everyone else trying not to look at each other.

• Paid Members

Late to the party here, but I always give my Mum stick for certain racist terms she uses. She didn't realise they were racist until I pointed them out. Aside from the obvious ones like wog box, paki shop and 'order in a chinky', my favourite of hers is COON CUPS. That is what her Mum used to call brown cupcakes!

One of my colleagues helps out in his father's Indian restaurant when they have a very busy Friday night. As a result, another colleague will always come up with curry and Indian jokes right out of the 70's which I find very uncomfortable.

"If all the spaccers in the country went to do their fucking shopping at the same time they would not need this many parking spaces. Not that they need them, people are paid to do their shopping for them and they could fucking walk like everyone else. It's a waste of time giving them all spazz chariots and parking spaces it really is"

That is actually a very salient point. People do do their shopping for them.

While we all know people who use the badges properly, the amount of blue badge abuse is off the scale. Sit outside a supermarket for a few minutes and see young people stick a blue badge on their dashboard because they managed to get their mum's/dad's/grandparent's badge registered on their car. I knew a wastrel who basically spent his mother's mobility allowance on trying to impress his friends by being their personal taxi service.

Another gem from my mum was to my sisters eldest step-daughter. She is 18 and has been described by my mum as "Lesbian on occassion" because sometimes she has a boyfriend and sometimes a girlfriend. A few weeks ago when they came round to our house for dinner she was greeted with the question "Do you like cock today or what?" Needless to say that the awkward silence that followed was broken only by the sound of me trying not to laugh and everyone else trying not to look at each other.

See if Steve's stepmother had said that bisexuals were doing it for attention, I don't think it would have made this thread.

• Paid Members

When visiting my grandparents once I was wearing a t-shirt with Richard Pryors face on it. My nan asked 'Which one's that then? Daley Thompson?'

A few years ago at the Download festival a mate commented about the disabled viewing platform 'They get an awesome view don't they?' to which we all replied 'Yeah but don't you think that's fair enough?'

• Paid Members
Eastenders was banned in the Bifkin household for several months due to the sickening antics of these two gay benders.

_44781263_colin_barry_bbc_226.jpg

Two men, kissing and cuddling? Whatever next!

This reminds me, due to my Dad's racism, Kenan and Kel was banned in our house.

Edited by Wretch

When visiting my grandparents once I was wearing a t-shirt with Richard Pryors face on it. My nan asked 'Which one's that then? Daley Thompson?'

That's a harking back to a time when the only black faces on television were Lenny Henry (honorary white), Daley Thompson and Paul Danquah from Jackanory.

That's a harking back to a time when the only black faces on television were Lenny Henry (honorary white), Daley Thompson and Paul Danquah from Jackanory.

Then Rustie Lee turned up. A black WOMAN with a laugh like a hyena giving birth.

• Paid Members

My mum has on occasion used "half caste" which makes me wince. She also used to refer to the two blokes who owned a local pub as "Darren the queer" and "Ray the gay". Lovely. She doesn't do it malisciously though (not that that's an excuse) but coming from Wales most people have a "the something" after their names.

My mum's friend is still known as "Linda the cafe" despite her not owning a cafe since 1986. There's a family known as "the coals" because the father used to deliver coal so he's "Lyn the coal", his wife is "Sandra the coal" and the kids are Ross and Ryan the coal respectively. There's also "Betty the shop", "Wilf the shop" and "Brenda the shop" although it gets confusing as they all relate to different shops... I digress.

There's also a "Helen the lesbian" we know.

I remember when I was in Hawaii a couple of us had hired a jeep for the day and drove around Oahu. We went to Pearl Harbor, a pineapple plantation and some stunning beaches. On the way back into Waikiki after a very long day we came to a sudden stop as some Japanese tourists just walked into the road in front of us. One of my friends had fallen asleep in the back of the jeep sprung into life and shouted, "Run them over! I've been to Pearl Harbor and I'm ANGRY!" As this was a jeep then they obviously heard him. We just cringed and then drove on with our heads in our hands - except the driver of course.

Lastly, this:

My Step-Mother recently stated that there's no such thing as homosexuality, they're just doing it for attention.

really made me laugh! :D

Edited by Monkee

• Paid Members

Slighly off topic, but what's the score with Gollywogs these days? are they still deemed innapropriate? or is it fine since they were rebranded as simply "Gollies"?

I ask because anyone who's been on a day trip to Skegness will know they are rife in giftshops. That, and on a visit to the cemetary this past Sunday, someone had left a collection of them at a nearby childs grave.

• Paid Members

I think they're deemed offensive regardless of shortening the name. I remembered this story from the BBC last year about a woman who had one in her window and the neighbour reported her to the police - LINK