Racist / Homophobic / Offensive Things Your Family Has Said

Devon Malcolm

I feel bad for laughing at this thread but some of the stuff said because people are ignorant of the real,meaning is downright hilarious.

My family are all really tolerant, I have a sister in a civil partnership and a nephew who's also gay. My brother in law who passed away last year was a racist though, regularly referring to black footballers as monkeys. My wee boys gran, his mums mum is even worse. She's quite happily tells people she doesn't like blacks or their smell.

• Paid Members
My sister and my three year old niece went to a local convenience store owned by an Asian family.

When entering said shop my niece piped up saying "Mammy why is that genie sat in the corner?" pointing to an old gentleman wearing a turban.

Ha, that's lovely.

My sister was with my nephew (he was about 4 at the time I think) in town once and she said they passed a group of Asian women in burkas. My nephew at the top of his voice shouted "look Mummy, ninjas".

• Paid Members

My dad has always been slightly to the right of the KKK.

When he had his stroke, his parting words at the end of visiting time was always "See you tomorrow as long at the night staff haven't put me in the pot.

He was incredibly offensive to one of the male nurses who was gay, shouting "RAPE" whever he was trying to change him. I got to know the nurse quite well, to the point that he said that if he didn't say something, he was going to have to report it. In the end, the nurse said to him "If I really wanted to, I could bugger you relentlessly, and there would be nothing you could do about it. It just so happens that you are a particularly ugly bastard, so beleive me, you are safe.". Hero.

He mellowed slightly, to the point that he one day said to one of the cleaners "Tell you what, you coons don't half work hard. All credit to you.

He

Someone in my family always jokes the Somalians are bringing out a second face next year.

I think the first time it ever really struck me was when I was in my teens and one of my cousins (I forget which- I've got hundreds) was dating a black guy. My mum was all up in arms about it and trying to disguise it and when I asked her why it was a problem her response was 'well, no white man will ever touch her again now'. Even as a relative youngster that really shocked me as mum had always been such a hippy, tolerant type.

She might have meant "no white man will ever touch the sides again now."

• Paid Members

My family is fairly tolerant, or so I mostly thought.

The whole ideology has never ever been an issue for me personally. Within the past 10+ years my mum has remarried to an awesome chap ,(who's family happen to originally be from Jamaica), who has really looked after my mum, and have had a child together as well, so I finally had a sibling after 16 years as an only child.

Its only ever little things, but other members of my family had said (out of ear shot of my mother) that my grandad would be going crazy, if was still alive. It always struck me as weird, as whilst you'd get the occasional line such like "lets pop down the paki shop", it wasn't really a issue that I'd personally heard from him as a child.

According to my actual dad, the overall "tolerance" thing seems to have taken about 4 generations to eventually work into our family. He mentioned to me that his grandfather was terrible for it, with the level of racism/homophobia you'd expect from a chap of that time. My dad's dad, whom is still alive and well, again is "OK" but the odd line slips out here and there, which again I always put down to the era he grew up in. My dad is reasonably good , but on occasion will say something not in an offense way, although is still slightly un-PC.

Then again coming back to me, it was never really pointed out to me that anybody who is different in skin colour, sexual preference or otherwise, was ever any different than myself, and as such I've never had any issues.

As a whole only until recently had I really seen first hand, anybody being really Racist. Some random guy started chatting to me in a bar a few years back, and starting banging on about people taking jobs, (Polish etc), but it soon escalated to "but you know who I really just HATE........them N..", and off he went on some crazy little rant about any body with a slightly dark skin colour. It was only when he'd finished, that I mentioned about my own family, to which he appeared to shit himself. He promptly left the bar soon afterwards. If anything I was to shocked to even bother having a go at him, and presumed one day he'll say something like that in ear shot of somebody who will take it out on him.

I think bigotry in this country has moved away from the simplicity of the colour of your skin, and more towards your national origin. You hear people banging on about immigrants more than the blacks, and by immigrants they mean africans, arabs and eastern europeans. It's still racism, but of a more subtle kind, and based not on ignorance of physical differences as much as social intolerance.

That being said, I do think racism is dying out in the main. Most people of our generation have been brought up in a broadly multi-ethnic society, and the instinctive prejudices of our parents and grandparents looks pretty quaint now.

• Moderators

There's still plenty of casual racism in my generation in my family... It's pretty broad stuff though, and I don't think they'd be hostile to any particular races if someone brought one home, and several of my cousins have married white people (and a couple in the older generation, too). If any they'd probably be less comfortable with black people.

The thing that would probably cause the most tension would be a muslim though. Also I have no idea how they'd react to someone being gay.

My immediate family is open minded though. Completely so at my generation, and pretty much there in the older generations.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

i have heard the saying

"Im the nigger in the wood pile" used before

A nigger in the woodpile (or fence) is an English figure of speech formerly commonly used in the United States and elsewhere. It means "some fact of considerable importance that is not disclosed

• Awards Moderator
i have heard the saying

A nigger in the woodpile (or fence) is an English figure of speech formerly commonly used in the United States and elsewhere. It means "some fact of considerable importance that is not disclosed

• Moderators

Didn't Garth Crooks use this on live TV once? Italia 90?

Just Googled this (like I should have done at the start). It was Geoff Hurst saying it with Garth Crooks sat next to him. Amazing. And one of those things lost in the pre-internet era. Someone must have taped it :(

Edited by Astro Hollywood

• Paid Members

Didn't Garth Crooks use this on live TV once? Italia 90?

Just Googled this. Apparently it was Geoff Hurst saying it with Garth Crooks sat next to him. Amazing.

Oh! I'd always thought it was Crooks who said it himself! Wow.

Frank McLintock was binned from Soccer Saturday a few years ago for referencing Agatha Christie's Ten Little Niggers on air.