Racist / Homophobic / Offensive Things Your Family Has Said

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Following on from this:-

http://ukff.com/index.php?s=&showtopic...t&p=2710090

My dad once frightened away a Labour Party candidate who knocked on our door for the 1997 general election by shouting at him "NO I WON'T BLOODY VOTE FOR YOU! BLOODY POLITICIANS ARE ALL QUEERS AND LESBIANS!"

He didn't ask if he would he would be counting on his vote. Poor sod looked absolutely terrified!

When I started working in HMV, it was the early 90's. my aforementioned mum was amazed that one of my co workers was gay. Once she popped in to see me while she was in town and the fellow came up to the counter and said, in his slightly camp voice "I'm just nipping on my lunch, Keith, see you in a bit" and walked off. My mum had an excited look on her face and, you know whenever Homer Simpson feebly masks his mouth and whispers very loudly? Well she did that, leant over the counter and said "Is he the gay"? Pronouncing every word as if I was deaf so I could lip read.

There is loads and loads of racism and homophobia to experience when you grow up in a catholic household.

I can't think of any close relative of mine who I haven't heard say "He's a nice kid, for a paki/blackie" about someone.

I've got a cousin whose daughter adopted a Chinese baby. She was showing me photos of him and telling me which ones he looked Chinesey in and which ones he looked "normal, like us" in.

• Moderators

"Dickie Darkie across the road" is how my dad likes to refer to the black gentleman who's moved in across the road.

My favourite accidental racism is my mum being easily confused and so thinking Coloured is the accepted term, and Black the evil racist one.

• Paid Members

My mother, on Asians : "I'm not racist, I just don't trust them." Bad experiences blah blah product of her generation stock crap excuse.

Her boyfriend, quoted verbatim : "I freely admit, I am a racist. I don't like blacks." He also flew into a rage the other day when a gay fella on TV talking about relationships/families asked the question "what's normal?" Rather predictably the words "not natural" were used, and how man-with-woman was "normal" and anything else was not because no babies can be produced.

Yes, I am moving out soon.

• Paid Members

Some of my flatmates are notorious for it. They think that African people are always caked in BO and that Indian people smell of curry because they "eat it all the time". They say these without the slightest bit of self awareness.

• Paid Members

As a child, I witnessed my Grandfather sending a black man the wrong way after he'd asked directions.

My Dad's side of the family are unbelievably racist (well, the men anyway), but the majority of them are dole scroungers anyway. Y'know, "dey took er jewbs" type arseheads, who despite having child after child haven't made the effort of getting off their arses in several years to look for work.

There is loads and loads of racism and homophobia to experience when you grow up in a catholic household.

Even more so in an Irish catholic household, unfortunately.

My mum had an excited look on her face and, you know whenever Homer Simpson feebly masks his mouth and whispers very loudly? Well she did that, leant over the counter and said "Is he the gay"? Pronouncing every word as if I was deaf so I could lip read.

My Grandmother done something similar at a wedding a few years back. About five minutes in and after realising the priest is speaking with a Northern Irish accent, she turns to my Mum and says "Tanya, I think that priest . . . . Is he a Protestant?"

Edited by Wretch