Racist / Homophobic / Offensive Things Your Family Has Said

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
my dad once said a few very unsavoury things about Rory Underwood when he scored against Wales. I was about 9 at the time and sat there in shock.

Are we supposed to guess?

• Paid Members
My mother once told me that my Grandmother used to describe a certain hue of brown as being "nigger brown".

Yep. Was apparently in official use, too. My mum said her secondary school uniform was dubbed that colour - was on the label or whatever it is came with it.

Sure it wasn't the name tag of the lad wearing it?

Could be. Might be why he grew up to be so bad-tempered that people changed his nickname to "Bad News".

• Paid Members

I remember someone on here mentioning "Barry the Downo", and laughing my head off, but for the life of me can't remember who it was. garynysmon?

• Paid Members

This thread just reminded me of an incident years ago when I lived with my parents.

I got in early from work one day and thought I was home alone so went straight upstairs and put some music on. I didn't realise my grandad was stopping over and had gone for an afternoon nap in the bedroom next to mine. So there I was listening to NWA and my grandad bursts in all groggy and dishevelled. And I imagine quite startled by the words of Ice Cube blasting in his ears as he entered the room. He stopped and looked at me for a second and just said - "You and your fucking coon tunes. Turn it down a bit will you? Good lad."

It was totally unexpected, like I said, I didn't even know he was there. And to this day it's the only time I've ever heard him swear or use any type of racist term. He has no recollection of it now but it will stay with me to the grave.

• Paid Members
Very possibly, sort of like the Simania's word filter on Real In Memphis where the word "Rangers" is changed to "dirty orange bastards", making the word "strangers" into "stdirty orange bastards". The Gay word filter came to light before the Beijing Olympics.

It wasn't me that set that one up, we had 2 Celtic supporting admins on RIM and Terje. I could've always changed it back though....

Ashamedly me and my pals used to refer to a guy with a leg handicap as "Spazi D". His real name was Darren. He had that disability where one of their legs is side on, so they walk really fucked up. We also thought of a list of things it would be "funny" to see him do. Skateboarding was the almghty winner. We were about fifteen at the time , so hopefully it doesn't make me look too bad.

• Paid Members
My mother once told me that my Grandmother used to describe a certain hue of brown as being "nigger brown".

Yep. Was apparently in official use, too. My mum said her secondary school uniform was dubbed that colour - was on the label or whatever it is came with it.

I used to work in a hardware shop and old ladies always used to ask for Nigger Brown paint. It was its actually name, they used to bring in the old tins to colour match. When we explained it was now called Conker Brown they refused to believe it was the same colour.

• Paid Members

A good mate of mine (this topic has evolved past family right?) left me utterly stunned a couple of years back when he casually stated "Well, it's official, my sister is now a wog socket". Never heard the phrase before or since.

Edited by Miamivenis

My brother's a tiler and his black tiles are still "Negro", for what it's worth.

They could just be imported from Spain, I know a lot of ceramics are.

It's an affectionate name for tiles in hispanic countries.

Beat me to it.