Racist / Homophobic / Offensive Things Your Family Has Said

Devon Malcolm

They are the same colour as us now. In the 80's, John Junor wrote a piece about "If only the Irish were green, then we'd know".

That's along the lines of why Racism can be clouded now. As Butch said,when they say immigrants, they mean Muslims. Before, they meant darkies.

I didn't mean in relation to clouding of racism. I was asking what makes xenophobia -- in terms of national slurs rather than fear of foreigners, and in cases where race is irrelevant -- more acceptable than racism. Why is saying, for example, "Irish/Americans/Polaks shouldn't be allowed in here" any better than "blacks/Asians/yellows shouldn't be allowed in here"? Or to use more real-world examples, what makes "yanks are fat loud thick cunts" more acceptable than "pakis stink of curry"? A lot of people who'd condemn the latter would parrot a version of the former without thinking twice. Pigmentation or flag, it's all prejudice against circumstances of birth.

• Paid Members
I’ve just head a song on the radio that had the lyric “with a grip just like a Scotsman on a five pound note”. I don’t even recognise that particular stereotype.

What, that Scots are stingy? It's a pretty old and infamous stereotype. Dickens' Ebenezer Scrooge is the most famous representation of it. From my own experiences, I've never found it to be particularly true.

Edited by Carbomb

I've had non-whites / kiwis / people of aboriginal descent call me a pommie bastard in the last year and a half.

Is it in a particularly vicious or intentionally insulting and derogatory manner, when they are spouting shit like this?

There used to be an Australian guy in the shipyard round here; a real fun loving guy affectionately known as

To pick at the definition of racism, there needs to be a word which describes prejudice or discrimination against somebody of a different nationality based on the belief that each nationality possesses certain characteristics specific to them. Nationalism isn't it.

Nationalism is being prideful of the country you belong to.

Xenophobia is a dislike or fear of people from other countries or of that which is perceived to be foreign or strange

The lexicon is lacking. Xenophobia is a phobia, it's an irrational fear. Racism isn't a phobia. That's my point.

• Moderators
Australians taking the piss out of you for being English isn't racism.

What makes you think those individuals were white? Trust me... I've had non-whites / kiwis / people of aboriginal descent call me a pommie bastard in the last year and a half.

Yeah, I don't think you understand how this works (to absolutely no one's surprise). It doesn't matter if they were a different race to you because the insult doesn't have any racial connotation.