Racist / Homophobic / Offensive Things Your Family Has Said

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
That'll be Leicester where the Indian community is officially larger than the white European community.

It's larger than the "White European" community (28.3% to 5.6%) only if you don't include "White British" in that category. It's true that the White British are no longer a majority in the sense of being over 50% of the city's population (it was 48.5% in 2011) but they're still the most numerous, with five of them for every three Indians. So they're only outnumbered if the statistics are looked at as "White British" and "Not White British".

There's a chart on this page of the City Council's website (I can't embed it because its dynamically generated) that shows the overall picture when all the various White categories are grouped together.

To pick at the definition of racism, there needs to be a word which describes prejudice or discrimination against somebody of a different nationality based on the belief that each nationality possesses certain characteristics specific to them. Nationalism isn't it.

• Paid Members

We have a new girl at work from Australia. She mentioned 'bush-men' the other day, and was asked if she was talking about Aboriginals.

She almost shouted with gleeful disgust "No, not Aboriginals! They poo their pants!".

She's studying psychology, by the way.

To pick at the definition of racism, there needs to be a word which describes prejudice or discrimination against somebody of a different nationality based on the belief that each nationality possesses certain characteristics specific to them. Nationalism isn't it.

Nationalism is being prideful of the country you belong to.

Xenophobia is a dislike or fear of people from other countries or of that which is perceived to be foreign or strange

• Paid Members

I was at god-awful work do on Wednesday where we were subjected to musical bingo. I went because I'm making an effort to be more sociable at work but considering I can't stand 90% of them I'm doing well by attending 2 events this year. Anyway, the host of this musical bingo was an annoying squeaky 12-year-old red coat reject woman with ADHD. When you won a line or house in the bingo you either won a shit prize (giant sunglasses, a bird house, some cupcakes) you could gamble for the star prize of [/drumroll] a bottle of wine. But the gamble was that you had to do something cringeworthily embarrassing (at least I thought it was but all the other dickheads there thought it was great and did what was asked in a totally unnecessary OTT way) such as a dance-off, getting an After Eight off your forehead and into your mouth the quickest, etc. For one round the gamble was a rap-off where two people had 'won' and had to battle each other for the wine. One contestant happened to be black whereby the host announced that he had an unfair advantage because he was black! There was a big intake of air around the room but luckily the giddy woman saved the day but reassuring everyone that it was ok for her to say that because she's black herself.

She wasn't.

• Paid Members

For a second I thought the sentence in your sig was part of your post. Until I remembered you're a girl.

Does anyone ever enjoy work dos? Everyone I speak to who has one coming up has a look of complete dread in their eyes. Even the ones who really enjoy their jobs.

I enjoy my job and I hate them.

We do have monthly get togethers at work which is arranged by invite only with a select bunch of us, they are usually fun, but general ones where everyone is invited are horrible.

Most the people I work with (other than the select few who meet up regularly) are very white middle class, they seem to use work dos as an excuse to ask me ridiculously ignorant questions about Indian culture.

Just reminded me of a classic. Three of us Barrow Islanders had been having a little feud with some Walney Islanders. We were only about 14, round one of the Barrow Island lad's houses and were discussing strategy for the forthcoming fight between the two sects. One of the Barrow Island representatives was a half Chinese lad that got really sore if his race was ever mentioned at all, but suddenly, the other lad's Dad bursts into our fight strategy meeting and gives it:

"Well, you lads will be all right with Chris on your side wont you..."

**queue a puzzled silence from us lot**

"You know... Kung-Fu"

Complete with hand movements and everything. Tight to the poor lad's face. Hard not to laugh but feel bad for Chris at the same time in a situation like that.

How so?

They are the same colour as us now. In the 80's, John Junor wrote a piece about "If only the Irish were green, then we'd know".

That's along the lines of why Racism can be clouded now. As Butch said,when they say immigrants, they mean Muslims. Before, they meant darkies.