Racist / Homophobic / Offensive Things Your Family Has Said

Devon Malcolm

A few that came to mind recently. My uncle lived in West Dulwich before it got tidied up and my grandparents, who lived in a very white middle class area, used to take my sister and I to see him. On the journey over, my grandad used to take great pleasure suggesting we play a game where we "do the world a favour and run wogs over ". If you could "run over a spade", you'd get a point but you could get "bonus points if you run a paki over". In hindsight, I am horrified that this is what I was exposed to growing up. Strangely, my cousin did a similar thing about 10 years ago, who's 15 years older than me and has no excuse.

My aunt, without a trace of irony or humour, explained to me that homosexuality is unnatural and would lead to the destruction of our society. She said that all the great civilisations that liberalised attitudes to homosexuality fell as a result, including ancient Rome and ancient China. It was also the root cause of the destruction of Atlantis, that famed fictional continent. I'd always tried to keep an open mind when she'd discuss spiritualism and palmistry and fortune telling but the fall of Atlantis being linked to homosexuality was the last straw.

Also, has anybody else found white Australians to be fairly casually racist towards Greeks and Italians?

Watching Deal or No Deal (not my fucking choice, if I was on that, I'd just go through the boxes in numerical order just to take all the fun out for the people who watch it).

As would I. It's a game of chance, FFS!

Also, has anybody else found white Australians to be fairly casually racist towards Greeks and Italians?

And the British. A mate of mine worked over thee for a couple of years, and said that the racism against him and his wife on a daily basis was pretty rough.

My contribution comes courtesy of my Stepmothers now deceased mother. We were going somewhere in the car, four of us, on the motorway. In the middle distance a minibus was broken down on the hard shoulder with it's passengers, all school children stood high up on the grass verge out of harms way. As we got close, she started to say "Oh, isn't that a shame that those poor children have had their day ruined". As we got closer, and she could make out faces, she followed up with "Doesn't matter, they're only Paki-doodles"!

• Paid Members

I blame this thread entirely for the story i'm about to tell. It's clearly brought to the surface my sub concious inner racist.

Leaving work yesterday evening, and one of my former team members, a sweet, lovely African woman was stood in the rain waiting for her husband holding an empty Tupperware pot.

Without realising how offensive it may seem, I told her that she didn

OFF Topic: Re 'Deal or No Deal' literally the only slight 'tactic' involved is that you are statistically unlikely to get more than 3 of the same colour in a row. But again that's just statistics as it is a game of bloody chance.

ON TOPIC: I used to watch Ready Steady Cook with my Nan. Upon Ainsley Harriot touching anything.

Nan: "uggh look at his black hands in the food. Look at him sweating."

Me: "So the white chefs don't sweat?"

Nan: "Yes, but in cleaner way"

To this day I have no idea what she meant.

My Gramp on my Mam's side has always been pretty racist for as long as I can remember. He still to this day refers to Black People as Coons or Nig-Nogs. I remember once we were talking about my R.E Teacher defending the Islamic Religion and he said without a shred of humour "Wait till they get her down an alley and rape her, then she'll see what they are like". He also pretty much hates all other foreigners and homosexuals and believes Elton John should have been "drowned at birth". Same goes for the Royal Family but that's a different story.

I have a mate who has no earthly idea that the word "chinky" is perceived as racist or at best, politically incorrect.

At the end of nights out, he regularly goes out of his way to say to the nice young lady who works at our local Chinese Takeaway: "It's not a proper night out if it doesn't end with a chinky!" as he thinks he's complimenting her place of work.

• Paid Members
ON TOPIC: I used to watch Ready Steady Cook with my Nan. Upon Ainsley Harriot touching anything.

Nan: "uggh look at his black hands in the food. Look at him sweating."

Off topic a bit in relation to the above:

My great-nan was very similar and would the above line. Although in her defense it was nothing to do with his skin colour, more that he really does touch the food waaay to much.

It was more of a cleanliness issue.

• Paid Members

My Nan and my girlfriend were watching Dancing On Ice this past Sunday. They were discussing the previous week, during which Gareth Thomas (the rugby player who came out as gay) was unable to perform due to suffering from motion sickness. However, my Nan recalled it quite differently. In discussing the incident she calmly, and without any hint of irony, described how he was unable to perform, and therefore had to withdraw from the competition, because he had AIDS.

Edited by Supremo

A scene with my Grandad a few weeks ago.

Granddad: Sam, did you read in the paper (he means The Sun which no one in our family except him reads) there's a town in England now where whites are the minority?

Me: *disinterested* Oh yeah?

Granddad: Bloody shocking.

Me: I'm not really bothered.

Grandad: What? How can you not be bothered?

Me: Well, skin colour doesn't matter.

Grandad: WELL IT BLOODY MATTERS TO ME MATE!

...I've been married to an Arab for the past 2 years. :(

That'll be Leicester where the Indian community is officially larger than the white European community. And it's awesome. The number of excellent curry restaurant is immense.

P.s. I am fully aware of my positive racism.

Since coming to Melbourne the casual racism is off the charts here. For me I often get one of two racist comments. Either "hah! Your a dirty pommie! Lol! Only kidding here's a beer." or "your one of those fucking pounces aren't you?!?"

The most bewildering one was upon hearing my British accent, a drunk melbournian called me a "paki". Yeah... Don't know why either.

Edited by andrew "the ref" coyne