Wrestling Pod Casts / Radio Interviews

uk_wrestle_fan_1981

• Paid Members

Brookside was always the best soap. Went places others wouldn't. Damon being stabbed was the most harrowing thing I'd seen in my life up to that point. Margeret kissing Beth was the horniest. Digging up Trevor Jordache was terrifying. Proper emotion from Brookie.

Did once get me ribbed mercilessly for weeks when I announced I fancied the arse off Jackie Corkhill. I meant Dixon.

When I was a kid my uncle took me to see the set where the row of shops was built. Only got to peer over the fence though. Went to the park where the "Why don't you?" clubhouse was too. In my memory they were nearby but they probably weren't. It's been about 25 years.

Edited by tiger_rick

• Paid Members

Best thing about Brookie is that 90% of the cast are probably still waiting for a phone call to say "we're back lads!" They're like the ECW regulars who went down with the ship. I guarantee most of them didnt move on to better things and would do a reunion show tomorrow.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

I remember my Mum recording brookside when it started. She thought it was gonna run a few episodes like Thorn Birds. She amassed tapes and tapes because it didn't end. Eventually I taped over the first one with cartoons and she gave up.

• Paid Members

I was all over Brookside during the Jordache era- Anna Friel kissing women and then burying her old man under the patio. That was soap tv at its best and edgiest in a believable way.

Sunset Beach was equally soap tv at its very best, but for different reasons (i.e. it was hilariously awful).

Why is everything else not affected then? Why does 15 million watching NCIS? Why does The Walking Dead which is on cable too also get over 10 million viewers weekly?

Other things are effected though.

Take Seinfeld for example. Season 9, which ran through 1997 into 1998 when wrestling was massive compared to what it had been, ratings for that series hovered around 30m-38m through the course of it with the exception of the penultimate episode which drew 58.5m and the finale which drew 76.3m.

NCIS and The Walking Dead can only achieve those numbers in their most mental and wildest dreams. There's more choice than ever before both on traditional TV, home media and via online outlets.

They're also only 1hr long (including the adverts) and on in blocks throughout the year. Raw at 3hrs is like asking the audience to watch the uncut version of Batman v Superman once a week. I'm one of the biggest Batman fans you'll ever meet, but no way am I watch that 52 times in a year

Why does the NFL dwarf everything on TV.

Because that's a real fucking sport

People's habits haven't changed at all. Millions in America on a daily basis are quite happy to sit in front of their TV.

Of course habits are changing. That's why you get entire series going up in one go on streaming/OnDemand services. Fortitude on SKY recently is a prime example. Sure it's on week to week in whatever time slot it has (I don't know off the top of my head), but alot of people will have watched the whole thing already. Want to watch The Sopranos, The Wire, Game of Thrones etc? It's all there, every episode whenever the viewer wants to. They don't have to depend on people sitting at a specific time as much as they used to, and that's how everything will be eventually.

Stranger Things, one of the most talked about shows in the world last year, watched by millions and its not on the fucking telly.

Mr Robot, another huge show, premiered online/VOD before moving to TV.

And that's before you even get talking about people torrenting stuff

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

One that creeped me out was when Max Farnham killed his wife, kept the body in the house for ages and carried on living as if nothing happened and popping down the shops and talking to neighbours and stuff. I can't even remember how that storyline ended.

Ron Dixon blowing half the street up by using a dodgy cooker to heat up his tin of baked beans was quality television as well.

Brookside also had Jennifer Ellison and her fit curly haired sister. Brookside was the best soap.