Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

Didn't Batista sign a 2 year WWE contract? Not that it would matter much, Rock was under contract when he made his Hollywood transition. Then he got mad when WWE let his contract just expire in late 2004. Who knows how things might have been different had WWE made a courtesy call to him? We might have gotten him back a bit sooner as a guest host of Raw or something.

• Paid Members

Batista's return was fucked, he's currently one of the most acclaimed things in one of the biggest hit movies for ages yet two months ago he was in WWE and the audience didn't give a shit. Having him win the rumble was a terrible idea, all anyone cared about was Daniel Bryan and it completely overshadowed Batista's comeback. They should've given him a non title feud going into 'mania. I wonder what will happen if he goes back post Guardians of the Galaxy, will people still boo him? I'm sure if he came back in a few weeks and hadn't been back for mania people would love him.

Bret Hart's got a bit of a chip on his shoulder about the performance center, he reckons that half the trainers there are shit and it's all just mates looking after mates with the jobs there. Brookside's always had a great reputation as a trainer though, hasn't he?

Yes. When it comes to technical wrestling and understanding the initial foundations of applying it into a match there are none better. He also has a very encouraging and positive atitude in the training arena too.

Edited by andrew "the ref" coyne

A small note, went to the Secret Cinema Back To The Future event over the weekend in London with the event being set in Hill Valley 1955, the fictional radio station playing out was doing fictional requests, one was played out saying Bray Wyatt had contacted the station and would like a request for his Sister Abigail and followed on with playing "He's Got the Whole World" it was nice to notice this wrestling reference in such a big setting that many people did not even notice or know about

• Moderators

Rick's last paragraph sums it up perfectly. Every time Jericho returns, he erodes what made him enjoyable. Bit by bit. I think I would be happy if I never saw him in the ring again. The idea of thinking that 10-15 years ago would have been alien to me.

Yeah, he's really Foley'd it up, hasn't he? I used to love Jericho.

Speaking of Big Dave, has there ever been a proper Batista vs Lesnar match? They should do that for Wrestlemania.

The only time I've ever seen it was Lesnar v Leviathan from OVW, it's on the Here Comes The Pain BluRay. Don't think it ever happened in WWE the first time round as they were on different brands, but I could be wrong

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

The new Paul Heyman DVD is fantastic. I'm amazed how he turned into such a slimey, smelling looking cunt. from age 5 until he was in his early 20s he was the spit of Michael Keaton. Around the mouth and eyes he looks so much like him. Especially in the Championship Wrestling from Florida and Memphis footage. Which apparently is where he got the name "Dangerously" from, after the Johnny Dangerously movie. Then he starts to look very Barrymore by the time he gets to the AWA. You can totally see why people loved working for him. Half of what he says you wonder if its true or not (he's very over the top, as if he's coughing up hyperbole), but it doesn't matter because he's so entertaining in his story telling. The DVD really gets going from the WCW years. Theres a great section on the Dangerous Alliance. The talking heads are shot in a dark room with a blue light shining on them. Which makes Dusty Rhodes look a picture. Dusty has never looked worse than close up under a blue light. He looks like absolute shit. Has to be ill. Everyone is on here, though. From Punk to Raven to Gabe Sapolsky to RVD. Good and bad is dished out in regards to Heyman.

The footage and the pictures are amazing. Like seeing the Lawler/Idol haircutting angle in fine quality, as opposed to VHS or youtube versions of it. Stuff you've never seen backstage from ECW. This chapter is the highlight of the whole thing. So much of it is backstage stuff of Heyman going about his work. Its amazing to see his jacked up or fat grown men standing there with there hands to their side as he's giving them their instructions. Just brilliant footage. Especially the bit where he's pretty much holding Rhino's hand through a promo he was about to do in ECW. Its a fine example how most of the people from ECW did their best work there. The most incredible bit is where he's step by step helping Val Puccio in his delivery. Every word out of Puccio's mouth is interupted by Heyman making him do better. Like Heyman is telling him "you can do better than that, make it louder". That promo was my favourite part of the DVD. It just make you realise how good Heyman is at making dog shit like Big Val Puccio do something above his limited skill level. I mean you've heard it for years, but you dont see it step by step as its going on like you do here. There's another part where he's telling Danny Doring how its the first time he's seen him truly believe in himself during a promo, and Doring is looking as if Heyman is his Dad or something. A big example of him as a motivator. You can actually see in Dorings face that he would have ran through a wall for him at that time.

My favourite quote from this was when discussing Smackdown in 2002 and he said "we took superstars who were never seen as main eventers before and thrust them into the spotlight without sacrficing the box office of Brock Lesnar, the Undertaker or Hulk Hogan" which I always found great about that period. It had Brock, Angle, Benoit, Guerrero, Matt Hardy, Edge, Haas, Benjamin and Rey, yet still had the likes of Undertaker, Hogan, Roddy Piper and Vince in major storylines. The balance of the young established names and legends was the best I've seen. Far better than on Raw where it was all fucked up and far better than how TNA tried managing their young and old roster.

Excellent documentary. you get a whole different viewpoint of him as a boss, performer and a member of creative. Best documentary they've done in years.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

AHH. I read the first sentence of your post and I'm refusing to read any more! I am the biggest Paul Heyman mark going and I can't wait to watch his DVD. Glad to see you liked it but I'm trying to avoid any 'spoilers' if you can call them then.

Actually, I know I shouldn't do but if someone could point me in the direction of a not-so-legal place to watch it until mine arrives then I'll be very happy. Don't ask "well what's the point in buying the DVD then" because I'll have had my money's worth out of it after the fifteenth time of watching it!

• Paid Members

Is it established that Curtis Hughes has a bad attitude or something?

He never seemed to stay long anywhere but I'm currently working my way through 1993 Wrestling Challenge episodes and he's got a great look and would have really fit in that type of product post-Hulkamania.

• Paid Members

AHH. I read the first sentence of your post and I'm refusing to read any more! I am the biggest Paul Heyman mark going and I can't wait to watch his DVD. Glad to see you liked it but I'm trying to avoid any 'spoilers' if you can call them then.

Actually, I know I shouldn't do but if someone could point me in the direction of a not-so-legal place to watch it until mine arrives then I'll be very happy. Don't ask "well what's the point in buying the DVD then" because I'll have had my money's worth out of it after the fifteenth time of watching it!

If you're into wrestling, it's not torrentially hard to find. In fact it's xtremely easy.

My favourite Heyman producing story is the first night Austin was in ECW during which, Heyman revealed to him 19 years later, he intentionally kept putting his promo recording back and back and back until he did it last at 5am, at which point he had all the frustration and fury Heyman wanted to capture.

• Paid Members

Is it established that Curtis Hughes has a bad attitude or something?

He never seemed to stay long anywhere but I'm currently working my way through 1993 Wrestling Challenge episodes and he's got a great look and would have really fit in that type of product post-Hulkamania.

There's all sorts of brilliant stories about Hughes losing his job at various times, some of which may even be true. They include getting kidney disease, working stiff against Ken Shamrock, being addicted to visiting S&M clubs, and suffering from narcolepsy during matches.

Bit annoying reading that. I'm still waiting on my bloody pre-order!

I ordered mine last Wednesday, got an email to say it had been dispatched on Thursday night and was expecting it to be here by Saturday although think I am just too used to SilverVision's service! It has arrived today though.

It seems to be quite popular, as I see the Blu-Ray is now out of stock at WWEDVD.co.uk and any orders placed since Monday won't be going out until later in the week.