NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

• Awards Moderator
14 hours ago, BrodyGraham said:

Millennial wrestling fan isn't she? All about Harry Potter and Keiji Mutoh.

I don't mind it. She's the right age to both be able to get away with the Potter reference and to have grown up with easy access to Japanese wrestling and the American Indie scene via YouTube. It suits her personality as well.

What's the Harry Potter reference? I know those books quite well and can't recall shininess really coming into it. Is it just because it has 'wizard' in the name? Because I think the move was a thing before Potter...

17 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

What's the Harry Potter reference? I know those books quite well and can't recall shininess really coming into it. Is it just because it has 'wizard' in the name? Because I think the move was a thing before Potter...

Well yes, hence Mutoh. I always took it as a riff on the titles of the books, plus her merch on the Indies was Potter themed if I remember correctly.

• Awards Moderator
Just now, BrodyGraham said:

Well yes, hence Mutoh. I always took it as a riff on the titles of the books, plus her merch on the Indies was Potter themed if I remember correctly.

What Potter title does 'The Girl With The Shiniest Wizard' riff on? Sounds closer to a Stieg Larsson book to me.

51 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

What Potter title does 'The Girl With The Shiniest Wizard' riff on? Sounds closer to a Stieg Larsson book to me.

Perhaps, but the first shirt on her Pro Wrestling Tees page would suggest a certain influence. 

The point is that it seems like a perfectly reasonable nickname for a girl in her early twenties who worked a very indyriffic style and has a relatively happy go lucky character. Her whole schtick was quirky, likeable girl next door and the nickname is fun. As part of the Nixon Newell package, it worked and considering that Tegan is basically Nixon without the B*Witched entrance, I don't mind it.

12 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

It's a fucking pony nickname in any event, regardless of what she likes to watch at home. 

I've always taken it as she does the Shining Wizard better than anyone else so hers is the shiniest... wizard...?!
It's just an utterly shit nickname that produces a boiling, irrational hate in me whenever it is uttered.

• Paid Members
41 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

It's just an utterly shit nickname that produces a boiling, irrational hate in me whenever it is uttered.

This is an evergreen statement for whenever Mauro opens his mouth, to be honest. The love he gets online is genuinely confounding.

Apparently Poppy is showing up on tonights show, I like Poppy and her music but I'm really not sure what they're trying to achieve here. She has a decent sized rabid fanbase but are they going to tune in to a wrestling show to see her? And is there much of a crossover of fans already there?

At least it's someone who's current, that makes a change/

Edited by Merzbow

I don't watch NXT regularly, but the Finn heel turn video popped up on Youtube for me. Great turn, best thing Balor has done in years on TV. He looked a proper star again. But fuck me, that Mauro is an annoying bastard. He sounds exactly like the mock Vince commentary voice Punk used to do back during his commentary run & the summer of Punk. What an annoying bastard, just shutup and let the turn speak for itself you twat.

Really good show for me. One that reminded me of the best of NXT and why they deliver a strong show when they stick to old-school simplistic booking.

They've done extremely well to develop the depth of the womens division recently. I'd never really considered a War Games match for them, but it all came together really well. Io looked like a megastar during that opening and so she should. Everything linked efficiently to the tag title match and there's a lot of credible women in NXT at the moment. Admittedly the Rhea/Tegan stuff hasn't exactly reached an ideal conclusion but it's not the end of the world. Crazy to think the journey Asuka and Kairi have been through on the 'main roster' to get back to this point though. Give them some real fucking music please.

Enjoyed the short but sweet promo videos. Always something I wish they did more on Raw/Smackdown.

Finn delivered probably the most memorable promo since he's been with them. Funny how quickly things can change.

Thorne/Reed was fine. They've still got a lot of talent on board that they need to build up so I'm okay with not every match being full of stars. Both guys have a solid upside.

Bate/Grimes was as good as it could be with a short amount of time. Not a huge story involved but a fair showcase of both mens talents. These are the ones you want to be building the future around, especially Bate.

Great main event I thought. The rebuild of Keith Lee has been a great effort all round. 

• Paid Members

Who the fuck is this Finn Balor lad and where has he been all these years? Sweet Jesus. Easily the best promo I’ve ever seen him cut. Absolute superstar. Loved the TMZ stuff beforehand too. Wednesday Nights are where it’s at right now. This war is bringing the best out of both companies and making that dross that’s put out on Monday and Friday nights look worse by the week.

Ranallo’s still shit though. 

Edited by Supremo

9 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Happy with a women’s War Games match rather than having Undisputed Era do it for a third straight year, or at least I’m assuming they’re just having the one War Games match

I assumed the ending with Ciampa was confirming a War Games match for the guys, although I don't think they have yet.