NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Ciampa would be fine as a heel

I really like Ciampa but I just worry that's too small for them to commit to him. He shouldn't be but their perception is always that guys of that size are. Hopefully, he's brilliant enough, like Daniel Bryan, to overcome it.

8 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Gargano would likely drown as the clean cut babyface simply because they can't book them properly.

NXT couldn't book him properly, let alone WWE.

2 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

I really like Ciampa but I just worry that's too small for them to commit to him. He shouldn't be but their perception is always that guys of that size are. Hopefully, he's brilliant enough, like Daniel Bryan, to overcome it.

Is he small?  Is he smaller than Seth Rollins, top Raw star, for example?  I know their billed height is different but I always though Ciampa was 6 foot.

• Paid Members
48 minutes ago, Loki said:

Is he small?  Is he smaller than Seth Rollins, top Raw star, for example?  I know their billed height is different but I always though Ciampa was 6 foot.

They're all small. Ciampa's not quite as small as Gargano or Shorty G but he's not that big. Would love to be wrong, he's an excellent character worker.

• Paid Members

Super fun that on the week when AEW had their weakest show NXT had its best.

The commentary is still absolutely toxic and continuously drags down everything but this was an otherwise good show with great matches and a fantastic main event angle.

Their women's division pisses all over AEW's. Between Ripley, Shirai, LaRae, Belair and Shayna they've got a really solid top level of women. Bringing Kairi and Asuka back down should be fun, too. I wonder if Io will join forces with Asuka and Kairi now that - unbelievably - all three are now heels. But yeah, good stuff all round. Ripley in particular looks like a future Wrestlemania Main Eventer. Her and Tyler Bate strolling around with so much talent at such young ages is preposterous.

Cracking Triple Threat match. It'll never fly on the main roster but seeing these big maniacs nearly kill themselves is a tonne of fun.

For the longest time I just assumed Cameron Grimes was some shitty, generic home-grown guy so I barely paid any attention to his matches. So, imagine my surprise when he had that belter with Matt Riddle seemingly out of nowhere! I had no idea he was actually good! Great match and a good angle to bring Tyler Bate into the fold. I don't know why it took them this long to fly Tyler in. He's absolutely brilliant and maybe the most attractive male on the roster not named Finn Balor.

And speaking of Finn Balor, fuck me. That turn is probably the best thing I've ever seen him do. Absolute masterpiece. The way it comes out of nowhere, the way he immediately changes his facial expression and demeanor, the way he barely looks at the Undisputed Era or Ciampa, as if all he cares about is how much he hates Gargano (and frankly, given Johnny's character the past year or so, who can blame him?), I thought this was outstanding. I also loved this clip of a kid trying to attack Balor afterwards, only for his dad to hold him back. You were lucky this time, Finn!

Pro-wrestling at its best. I also thought the Broadway line he uses here is perfect. Whoever came up with that deserves a raise. He looks like a bigger star here than he has done in years.

The most intriguing thing about the whole show though? This Matt Riddle/Goldberg thing. The way they're playing on it, letting Matt do the Jackhammer and the commentators acknowledging the Goldberg-style chants Riddle was getting, combined with Matt's shit-eating smirk to the hard camera at the end...they've got me. I'm hooked. This feels like Chris Jericho trolling Goldberg in 1998 all over again. Could they actually be planning on paying this off? After all, they need something big to help those ratings, and anyone with ears knows there's nothing that's coming out of Mauro Ranallo's mouth that hasn't been pre-written and over-rehearsed, so there's got to be something to it. Fuck, even if they just did a complete 1998 repeat and had Goldberg eventually come out one time and Spear him on the ramp. There's something special here. It's going to kill me if nothing comes of it.

Edited by Supremo

Riddle / Goldberg: there was a section on the most recent Goldberg documentary thing on the Network where the two of them ran into each other backstage (totally by accident of course, not planned in any way). The way that scene played out told me WWE will be doing something between them at some point. 

• Awards Moderator

Really good show. They were on the verge of losing me but I’m invested again now. 

Fantastic opener with Ripley and Belair. I’d definitely agree that NXT’s women’s division is the best around right now. Is the Asuka/Kairi return a one-time thing? Did they keep the “women’s tag titles can be defended on any brand” thing after the draft?

I didn’t like Riddle and Grimes though. Felt they skipped straight to the finishers and then did those for ten minutes. The triple threat was the better one of that kind of match.

Balor turn was exquisite. I’d already had it spoiled for me by the homepage of YouTube (that’s what you get for watching NWA Power and AEW Dark on there) and confirmed by rick mentioning it in the Dynamite thread, but it was still a great moment to see.

11 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

Yeah they must be doing something surely? Would Goldberg really do anything with NXT? Or do we assume Riddle appears on the main roster at some point for it?

Chuck them both in the Royal Rumble and give them a couple of minutes while everyone else has a lie down. Gets their ‘thing’ over and done and as (most likely) neither mans winning the Rumble match, your not feeding one to the other for the sake of it

15 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

t just want to say that every time Mauro goes 'The Girl with the Shiniest Wizard' it makes me want to throw something at my TV..., and it's not even that it's Mauro.
Seriously what sort of stupid fucking nickname is that? Fucking ridiculous.

Millennial wrestling fan isn't she? All about Harry Potter and Keiji Mutoh.

I don't mind it. She's the right age to both be able to get away with the Potter reference and to have grown up with easy access to Japanese wrestling and the American Indie scene via YouTube. It suits her personality as well.

2 hours ago, BrodyGraham said:

Millennial wrestling fan isn't she? All about Harry Potter and Keiji Mutoh.

I don't mind it. She's the right age to both be able to get away with the Potter reference and to have grown up with easy access to Japanese wrestling and the American Indie scene via YouTube. It suits her personality as well.

No. It's utter shite!