NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

• Paid Members

I won’t hear a bad word said about Montez Ford. All the super experienced talent across both NXT and AEW last night and he was probably the most charismatic of them all. He might be the most exciting prospect going today. Can you even imagine what he’ll be like in his prime?!

• Paid Members

I felt this show dragged. At 2 hours and fifteen minutes, it's too long. The length of the weekly show is likely to mean the TakeOver shows are going to get significantly longer as well. 

I was glad to see the tag match was the main event, as NXT tag title matches rarely fail to disappoint. As well as that, Ford and Dawkins looked like proper stars during their entrance. 

Adam Cole Vs Riddle didn't do anything for me at all. I'm putting that more on Cole, as his matches generally have me feeling cold (similar to Gargano - they just do way too much). A high angle German suplex, where Cole landed slap bang on his head, only to pop back up and hit a brain buster on Riddle. No Ta. I liked the use of the cast in the finish though. He should keep that for several months after it would be necessary, ala Owen Hart's cast and D-Lo's chest protector. 

They did a good job of setting up the title picture going forward as well, with riddle losing through Cole's cheating, Balor showing up followed by Ciampa's return. 

12 hours ago, Supremo said:

I won’t hear a bad word said about Montez Ford. All the super experienced talent across both NXT and AEW last night and he was probably the most charismatic of them all. He might be the most exciting prospect going today. Can you even imagine what he’ll be like in his prime?!

Probably feuding with Dolph Ziggler.

46 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

They're all like that in Undisputed Era as well.

I wouldn't say that the tag guys are as bad as Cole and Strong are. I don't know if they've had singles careers before or anything but they seem to have a good grasp on old school tag wrestling psychology etc.

• Paid Members

Strong, Fish and O'Reilly all feel like they've actually developed as characters and performers since they debuted, Adam Cole still feels like the same prick he was on day one.

In his last match with Gargano I was practically screaming "sell something!" at the screen, and his little bunny hop Canadian Destroyer is the worst move in wrestling.

He was on an NXT show in the UK where he did his daft catchphrase, the crowd chanted "ONE MORE TIME", and he did it again. You're a heel, you daft sod, don't give them what they want!

The only really good thing he's done on NXT is a promo where he said, "if there's a Mount Rushmore of NXT, it would just be my face four times", despite standing right next to his three mates.

• Paid Members

Watching the show at the time, it felt like they were spunking their load bringing in both Finn and Ciampa to be future Title challengers to Adam Cole. Felt really Russo-y to do both returns on the same show. The ratings coming back the way they did all but confirmed it. It would've made far more sense to save Finn for later down the road. Plus, it would've also given him more time to grow his hair out, since he's nowhere near as sexy with the shaved head.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

Really annoying watching AEW and NXT how little wrestling there is. The opening to Dunne & Burch really highlights it. What the fuck ever happened to locking up, adopting a fighting stance and giving some impression that it's a wrestling match.

I watched this yesterday. Fun little match. Features quite a few high spots and a good pace for '93 but watch how they work back to the fighting stance constantly and Janetty uses holds to ground the Kid. They work the highspots from there. Such a lost art save for the odd guy.

I like Matt Riddle a lot and I liked him even more for being one of a handful of guys not to come out wearing fucking black. NXT already looks dingy without every fella wearing black trunks, black singlet or black trackies. Street Profits get some credit too.

Funny how much this show parelleled AEW. This felt like a Takeover. Match. Match. Match. Match. Only the Dream segment stood out, similar to SCU on AEW. And the big debuts/suprises are the big hook. Maybe that's the future of wrestling TV. I'm not in love with that.

Can't comment too much on show quality, I only flicked through the highlights.

Glad others see Adam Cole as the shitarse he is. I've only just found out that other boring bastard Roddy Strong beat Dream too! What a fucking travesty.

• Paid Members

Meant to add - Found it interesting that Mauro kept saying they were limiting the commercial breaks. Given the rating wasn't great in key demos, that's not good news for USA if they're also working with limited commercials.

12 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Meant to add - Found it interesting that Mauro kept saying they were limiting the commercial breaks. Given the rating wasn't great in key demos, that's not good news for USA if they're also working with limited commercials.

I'm probably wrong, but it felt like there were more commercial breaks then ever when I was watching it.

On 10/4/2019 at 10:45 AM, Supremo said:

Plus, it would've also given him more time to grow his hair out, since he's nowhere near as sexy with the shaved head.

His haircut freaked me out a bit. Has his hairline completely gone to shit since SummerSlam, or does he use hair plugs when it’s a bit longer?

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, King Pitcos said:

His haircut freaked me out a bit. Has his hairline completely gone to shit since SummerSlam, or does he use hair plugs when it’s a bit longer?

I think its been bad for quite a few years, but he cleverly sweeps and gels his hair to minimize it. You notice it at the end of a long match when he sweats it out (well I do anyway, because my hairline is equally bad and I cry less when I see his.)

• Awards Moderator

NXT does have a different feel to it now it’s two hours. They’re still doing a good job building to future episodes but I wonder how long it’ll be before the strain of double the programming affects them. For example, it’s a little thing but I’d have liked Dunne vs Burch as a short snappy TV match without an ad break, which a month ago it probably would have been.

I enjoyed Cole vs Riddle, more than any of the Cole-Gargano Takeover matches, even though it was movesmovesmoves and I don’t normally like that. I think the fact Riddle isn’t Johnny Kickout meant I could buy into some of the near falls a bit more.

Finn being back surprised me - as long as they don’t let it feel like a demotion he’ll be fine. Ciampa was less of a surprise even though they’d said he’d be out for a year - is he cleared then? I liked that he stared at Goldie for ages before looking at Cole. Triple Threat with him, Cole and Balor could be fun.

Baszler vs LeRae was probably my favourite match on the show - great heel work from one, great babyface work from the other.

Noticed they plugged Gulak-Rush next week as for the ‘NXT Cruiserweight Title’. Putting aside the fact that’s a bit weird considering NXT’s other male champions are both also cruiserweights - is that 205 Live done? There was no new episode on the Network as of last night.