NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

• Paid Members

The Balor turn was completely unexpected and a nice turn of pace for him. It was nice to see something different to the usual clobber from behind with him hitting the overhead kick to Gargano, the connection with the kick looked stiff as hell. He looked a star at the end and added some intrigue into his intentions. 

• Paid Members

I’ve seen a clip of the Balor turn and it’s spectacularly well done. Comes completely out of the blue and Undisputed Era’s violent attack on Ciampa as Finn calmly watched on was a great visual. 

Again though, the commentary works directly against it. Nothing kills a shocking surprise like Ranallo obviously reciting his pre-prepared lines.

”Talk about shocking the system!”

Get in the bin, Mauro.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

I always love a heel turn where the wrestler turning visually crosses a line from one side of the ring to another. It's like a more subtle, but generally more impactful, version of the old "remove your t-shirt to reveal a different t-shirt" trope. I'm rarely ever a fan of the Pelé kick, but what a superb use of it. 

Only downside is that it almost definitely means we're getting Undisputed Era in Wargames again, and I'd like to see someone else get a shot in it - it kind of highlights how static the upper card of NXT is in a lot of ways (particularly compared to in the past, where someone would generally have a logical narrative arc up to the main event, and then be called up to the main roster), that TakeOver War Games will be headlined by the Undisputed Era three years in a row, and that the saga of Johnny Gargano and Tomasso Ciampa has been going on even longer. 

• Paid Members

That turn is absolutely fantastic. Looked brilliant. One of the moments of the year.

I'm partly devastated that they've used it here when it could have been a brilliant big-time angle on the main shows and partly relieved because I know they'll follow it up here.

• Paid Members

Excellent turn there. Loads of subtle stuff going on too, where we aren't sure if Balor turned for his own sake or if he's planning to side with UE at some point. Hell, I was even able to stomach Mauro for a few seconds before he shattered my insides with his inane verbiage.

Edited by Accident Prone

Yeah, definitely a great turn. Enjoyed that and didn't see it coming at all.

Other than that, thought Riddle and Grimes was a solid match, and the North American title match was what you'd expect from those 3 guys if you like that sort of thing. Felt a bit messy in places like they were all a bit dizzy.

Really solid show - good matches throughout.  The two Horsewomen are still so, so green though - no wonder they didn't go for the 4 on 4 match ultimately with Ronda.

The NXT roster is as solid as it's been for a few years - the top of the card has some legitimately impressive characters now.  We've not even seen Dream for a few weeks!

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Loki said:

The NXT roster is as solid as it's been for a few years

Are were looking at it as a development territory these days or as WWE's own indy promotion? If it's the latter then I agree, it's solid enough. They've got a lot of the best indy talent around doing indy stuff (like AEW too) and when it's good, it's great. What I don't see are many guys/girls that are going to go and be really good on Raw or Smackdown for them. having someone as ridiculously talented and insanely marketable as Balor ending up back here just hammers that home.

I really like Riddle and Dream. They've both got something uniquely brilliant about them. Shayna is clearly brilliant too, though still here for some reason. Then I'm really struggling. Dunne and Ciampa are great talents but not sure they cut through. Aichner and Barthel are a cracking team but we've seen too many teams go nowhere. Someone like Priest or Dijakovic might get somewhere but you look at Alistair Black on the main shows to see how tough it is to get someone that good over with their constraints.

Anyone's chances you fancy?

On the main roster? Hmm.  Keith Lee's got the size and charisma I think.  And Bazsler as well.

In terms of NXT as its own show though, I just see a lot of depth.  

Look at the women's division - Shayna, Io Shirai, LaRae, Rhea Ripley and Bianca Belair are all top talent and characters.  And then you've got Mia Yim, Dakota Kai, and a load of others that are decent as well.  Best female roster out there surely?  The top of the men's division - Lee, Balor, Dream, Ciampa, Cole, Riddle - lots of distinct personalities and styles.

In terms of upcoming guys - don't hate me, but I still see real upside in Jackson Ryker.  He has a great, scary look.  He's been wrestling a fair old while now though, so I don't know if they just think he's at the right level, or think he's not good enough to push up the card.

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, Loki said:

Keith Lee's got the size and charisma I think.

I like him. But I think with his size and shape, he's got mid-card comedy act written all over him.

Cole

Ugh.

In terms of upcoming guys - don't hate me, but I still see real upside in Jackson Ryker.  He has a great, scary look.  He's been wrestling a fair old while now though, so I don't know if they just think he's at the right level, or think he's not good enough to push up the card.

He was Gunner, right? I really like him, always did. But they clearly don't see that much in him. He's not young either.

I think the guys with distinct characters would do okay on the main roster, despite their limitations in-ring or more 'Indy' style for some of them.

Undisputed Era would all be fine as a package

Damian Priest reminds me of Baron Corbin in feeling more of a main roster heel character than an NXT guy.

Dominik Dijakovic and Keith Lee are interesting ones. I'd say Dijakovic is more likely to survive the transition to main roster, simply because I can't see where Keith Lee fits in when they haven't even been arsed to do anything with Big E yet properly as a singles guy.

Ciampa would be fine as a heel while Gargano would likely drown as the clean cut babyface simply because they can't book them properly.

Riddle and Dream should be fantastic wherever they are but you just never know.

The women are probably easier to transition - Shayna especially. As long as Aliyah never gets the call up.