NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

7 hours ago, Otto Dem Wanz said:

Really surprised to hear the hatred for McGuinness on here, I thought he was fine and by far the best of the entire commentary team.

What a match between Dunne and Bate and the ladder match (and turn) was really well done. 

The crowd was excellent too despite the lurking threats of fappery throughout the night.

Jim Ross was fucking awful, he sounded like a videogame commentary on the rare occasions he got through a phrase without forgetting the names of the wrestlers.   If that's the best he can do nowadays, he should probably stick to the BBQ sauce business.

McGuinness is growing on me, or probably he's just getting better.  NXT is definitely less compelling since Cory left though.

I know everyone loved the UK Championship match, and I thought it was ace, but personally I preferred the Roode-Itami match.  It's the first time I've been impressed by Itami, though he looks like he's still suffering with injuries.  Roode is the best heel in the business right now, for me, he made his opponent look great despite a clean win.

Roode v McIntyre for the next few months will keep me happy.  

I'm guessing Bate and Dunne have met numerous times on Progress/Rev Pro/Fight Club Pro (the ones you've likely seen) etc shows among the probable 100 times they've faced off in singles action. How did this NXT match rate up there? I'm not sure how they top it!

When you have a match as incredible as Bates/Dunne how on earth are people noticing if JR was bad on commentary or not?

I was that into the match that I never even noticed him or Nigel, it was superb.

I enjoyed the whole event really, the Takeover events certainly have a big time feel to them, but it is much easier to create that on 1 hour of TV a week. The whole roster felt like stars, if the next Takeover has Roode/Drew & the DIY match then that's me sold again.

• Awards Moderator

I still cannot fathom that Tyler is 20. His wrestling instincts are impeccable. I've only seen his WWE matches, is he good when not wrestling familiar foes like Mandrews and Dunne? 

21 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

I still cannot fathom that Tyler is 20. His wrestling instincts are impeccable. I've only seen his WWE matches, is he good when not wrestling familiar foes like Mandrews and Dunne? 

3 years ago (when he was 17!!) I saw him in Dawley, Telford against Jay Lethal. He was always going to be a star...

https://youtu.be/_vpFVLZ3088

Interestingly Mandrews and Dunne were on the same card.

Bate will be back in Dawley in a couple of weeks. Must be insane wrestling in Chicago one week and then just a few weeks later, being back in Dawley in front of a couple hundred..

Edited by mrtrickio

• Paid Members

I enjoyed Dunne/Bate but I don't even think it was the best match of the night let alone a MOTYC. I agree with whoever it was that said it felt like an exhibition match and while it was certainly good I felt like it basically followed the same story and structure as every other big WWE match these days. It was definitely lacking that special something for me.

Roode/Itami I enjoyed a lot even though I'm not much of an Itami fan. But Roode just carries himself and wrestles like a proper main event star and I really got hooked into this. it told a proper story and didn't break down into the same dives/loads of big spots kick outs/trade punches/more big spots that you see endlessly. Just put Roode on the main roster and give him the title already!

The ladder match was match of the night and the true MOTYC coming out this show. Brilliant story, didn't feel ike a glorified spotfest like most ladder matches of the past 10 years, and dramatic in the best possibly way that wrestling can be.

Bate is a phenomenal talent no doubt. I saw him have an epic match with Zack Sabre Jr last year at my local social club and from that moment I was hooked. He can tell a great story and his move set is both exciting and technical. Hailing from Wolverhampton I have never had much to be proud of but we seem to be in the hub of wrestling activity at the moment and if any of you have the chance to visit Fight Club Pro it is well and truly worth it. 

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, mrtrickio said:

3 years ago (when he was 17!!) I saw him in Dawley, Telford against Jay Lethal. He was always going to be a star...

https://youtu.be/_vpFVLZ3088

For those who don't click the link, he's just as muscular as he is today when he was 17! Did he start training at 13 or something? Dad owned the gym?! Absolutely mental.

5 minutes ago, Rob Lowe said:

For those who don't click the link, he's just as muscular as he is today when he was 17! Did he start training at 13 or something? Dad owned the gym?! Absolutely mental.

Also a very impressive mustache! Damn, puberty must have hit that boy like a ton of bricks. I hit it early myself, but it just gave me a deep voice and hair on my nuts at 11.

Just came in the topic to say that I'm very jealous of you UK guys for having this amount of talent in your local scene. Bate vs. Dunne was a fucking amazing match. The fact that they're 20 and 23 respectively blows my mind. Bate has such great fire, confidence and power, while Dunne has a strong claim to being one of the best heels in the company already. He doesn't go for laughs or adulation, he's just a nasty bastard. One of the best matches I've seen in quite a while.

Thought Itami had his best NXT match so far. Roode was great too, although that ending was almost a valiant babyface one for the brand's top heel.

The ladder match was a great spectacle. Thought it was a curious choice to go on last- in a brief moment of insanity, knowing Ciampa had an injury scare and they were in Chicago, I thought maybe they got Punk back as a surprise partner. Then I gave myself a slap and thought, okay, maybe Scott Dawson. Then Ciampa walked out with Gargano albeit gingerly, and I didn't know what to think. Great match, the double dives and the ladder to Johnny's face! Wow! Very sad about the DIY split, glad that Ciampa got the negative response- apart from the director needing a kicking, choosing to focus on adults in the crowd having a laugh over it. At least there were plenty more adults chanting, "Fuck you Ciampa."

We know from the CWC that Gargano vs. Ciampa will be amazing, but after that... I thought DIY had way more mileage as a team than they will as singles competitors. I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time.

Roddy Strong, between the video packages and that damn finisher! is growing on me. Apparently the move is called The End of Heartache, as a big KSE fan, I approve.

Really, the only low point was the women's match. It needed Ember Moon badly. We had the champ, who has essentially turned heel but still gets a mixed reaction; we have the heel Nikki Cross and the brand new face Ruby Riot who is still finding her feet. It needed a proper established face. The gulf is massive between Asuka and everyone else. If Asuka's staying in NXT for a while longer for the tours and stuff, I'd have her do a Legend Killer tour. The Asuka vs. Mickie match was the most intriguing match she's had in forever. Asuka vs. Lita, Asuka vs. Victoria, Asuka vs. Beth, so much potential! But I digress.

NXT Takeover, you've done it again. There's yet to be a bad one, right?

Fight Club Pro had British Strong Style v The Elite, lucky west midlands sods! Do FCP ever go down souf? Or have an OD service? 

Edited by sj5522