NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

That UK Championship match was something else. Incredible story telling, incredibly moving, in shock. I don't want to hear bollocks like "oh they'll never make it, Pete Dunne will never be main roster, blah blah" that was Fucking special.

Those two lads just took the opportunity of a lifetime and stole the show. Seriously that was insane.

20 years old. JesusĀ 

• Awards Moderator

Great show. Bate and Dunne was astonishing, I can't see anything topping that as my match of the year. Got completely sucked in, gasping and shouting at every big move and strike exchange and near fall. Amazing stuff.

Liked the Ladder match, some of the stuff DIY put themselves through was crazy. That ladder shot that nearly took Gargano's head off.... fuuuuck. I was totally taken in by the turn at the end, thought they were just doing an 'appreciate the valiant losers' ending, but no! Again, sucked in, hand over mouth in shock as Ciampa destroyed Gargano. What a bastard.

Title match was fine, didn't care much for the women's match, but the opener did a very rare thing and made me care if Roderick Strong won or not. I think that's maybe happened once before in about 2006. I applaud NXT for that.

In short, this show made me care about what happened. I knew there was a reason NXT was my favourite.

Ā 

Oh, and the crowd weren't too wanky either. Hurray!

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, gadge said:

Gutted that Hideo Itami didn'tĀ step up but even his match had a great finish.Ā 

What do you mean by didn't step up? I thought this was easily Itami's best performance since coming to NXT. He's been a huge disappointment so farĀ but this felt like, if he continues to have matches of this quality, this could definitely be a turning point for him.

I was overjoyed when the CM Punk chants got booed into silence. Fuck off with that shit. It's just a shame the "You Deserve It!" and "This Is Wrestling!" chants don't get similarly shut down.

Speaking of Punk...

320.jpg

This image was all over Twitter this morning. I saw it before watching the show and completely fell for it. Obviously turned out to be a fake, but Punk has been gone for so long and the landscape and climate of WWE is so different now, that I'd really enjoy a Punk return. You have to imagine the longer he sits out the bigger his eventual asking price could be.Ā 

6 minutes ago, Supremo said:

You have to imagine the longer he sits out the bigger his eventual asking price could be.Ā 

Isn't he getting a cool million to phone it in for that 5 star Wrestling malarkey?

Ā 

EDIT - No he isn't, fake news.

Edited by Keith Houchen
Donald Trump.

• Paid Members

They offered the $1million as a grandstand challenge. He hasn't accepted.Ā 

Itami looks nowhere like his 2006-8 self to me, and nothing about the match here suggests rematch like they usually do. I respect him giving this a try, but it's not working for me. Right now he'd be a better fit for the New Japan BOSJ tournament. I realise that's a random thing to say. He'd probably be more comfortable there.

• Paid Members

He'sfar from peak KENTA, as was, but I also thought this was the best of Itami in NXT. Good match with nice drama built in by the two guys, good big moves and false finishes.Ā 

The finish was very decisive which suggests Itami is either doing his duty on the way out or they just accept he'll never be anything special now.

On the night though, I thought he definitely stepped up.

I'd just like to say I watched that UK title match and it was 10 out of 10 for me. After Wrestlemania I'm pretty sick of too many near-falls in matches, but this felt far less contrived and much more dramatic.

And that's got me thinking. I was sucked into the drama of that match more than any match for a long time. And that's despite not following NXT or the UK stuff. Both men's characters got over brilliantly purely from the in-ring action and the drama was second to none. So why then do we seldom see drama like that in WWE? Honest question that and I'd appreciate if someone could answer it.

I follow WWE more so than anything else, so the characters and storytellingĀ should suck me into the heat of a match. But a lot of matches are so flat, and I even feel a lot of the betterĀ matches still come across a little to samey or rehearsed. Also, I can't remember recently seeing as good acting/facials/selling than what I saw from the two British lads. Top marks to them both and I hope to see that level of drama on a major WWE PPV soon.

I haven't seen the match, but isn't it just brilliant when something reminds jaded old fucks like us what got us into wrestling in the first place? It's always wonderful to watch a match through happy eyes.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, scotty_1120 said:

Best match I've seen in a long long time that UK title match. Crowd were super hot for it too. I'm sure McGuiness at one point in the match said both men have a decade of experience.. Wouldn't that mean Tyler Bate has been wrestling since he was 9/10?

I'm glad I'm not the only one to have heard that. What a thicko Ā 

• Paid Members
49 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I haven't seen the match, but isn't it just brilliant when something reminds jaded old fucks like us what got us into wrestling in the first place? It's always wonderful to watch a match through happy eyes.

Absolutely. I've been giddy all day, having been reminded why I love pro wrestling so much. I've watched it twice now and loved it even more on second viewing. That spot near the end where they just start swinging punches at each other is incredible.

That Max Landis quote fits perfectly.

"Don't get wrong, a lot of wrestling sucks, but when it's good...it's fucking great."

1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

He'sfar from peak KENTA, as was, but I also thought this was the best of Itami in NXT. Good match with nice drama built in by the two guys, good big moves and false finishes.Ā 

The finish was very decisive which suggests Itami is either doing his duty on the way out or they just accept he'll never be anything special now.

On the night though, I thought he definitely stepped up.

He's turning heel

Ā 

https://youtu.be/TKPnEg_99pA

Well Dunne v Bate exceeded even my own ridiculously high expectations of the two. What a damn match. Overtaken their match in Blackpool as my match of the year choice for sure. Can't say enough good things about Dunne's excellent facials and Bate's borderline unfair natural ability. Was a bit gutted they changed his Peter Gabriel knock off theme though, I loved it.Ā 

DIY with another corker as well, gutted they're broken up but the turn was excellent. Loved the foreshadowing with Gargano taking a ladder to the face to save Ciampa, just added to the feeling that Ciampa is a piece of shit. Tommaso really good during that, it looked like you could sense the regret in his face while he was doing it. Remember during the CWC they had an absolutely excellent match, the best of the first round, and they hinted at the Ciampa turn then. Co-sign that I want to see them somehow back together over time as they just have great longevity together, but this is exciting stuff. Fwiw, I think Johnny Wrestling could be a pretty big deal on his own Ā (if he doesn't go on 205) but this team is best for both of them.Ā 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, sj5522 said:

Was a bit gutted they changed his Peter Gabriel knock off theme though, I loved it.Ā 

I thought Bates came out to the same theme he had at the tournament and on the special? If any oneā€™s theme sounded different to me, it was Dunneā€™s.Ā 

Nah, they switched it up for this one. It sounds similar, but with worse mixing. He was still using the old one in Norwich whereas Dunne used his Takeover theme there

I thought both the original tracks sounded better imo, but it's a small complaint

Edited by sj5522