NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, sj5522 said:

There's a massive Prince influence on his character, considering what a natural heel Prince was IRL this should be brilliant. 

It didn't work out too well for Prince Iaukea. 

paisley.artist.jpg

• Paid Members

Manchester show cancelled:

Out of respect for all those affected by the Manchester tragedy, WWE is cancelling the NXT event on Tuesday, June 6 at the Manchester Arena, and giving fans who purchased tickets to the show a full refund and offering them the option to receive a free ticket at point of purchase to the NXT show on Wednesday, June 7 at First Direct Arena in Leeds.

"Our Superstars will be in Manchester on June 6 visiting with those affected by the tragedy and WWE is making a donation to the We Love Manchester Emergency Fund.

"We look forward to returning to the Manchester Arena on Monday, November 6 for Raw and Tuesday, November 7 for SmackDown Live."

• Awards Moderator

Great character-building sort of show this week.

The justification by Ciampa for his turn was fantastic, made total sense and had a ring of truth to it as well. I'm really interested in where they might be going with Andrade, and the short video of Itami kicking off made his loss to Roode feel so important. You'd never see someone on the main shows react that strongly (or at all really) to a loss, but Itami sold it as absolutely devastating. All good stuff. 

Oh, and Pete Dunne had another great match! He's definitely on my shortlist for Wrestler of the Year.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator
Bruiserweight, Bruiserweight

Pete Dunne really is incredible, especially for his age. I'd seen literally nothing of him before the UK tournament but was instantly blown away. Since trawled YouTube for some history on him, found out he wasn't brought up on WWE or WCW like the rest of us, his first insight to wrestling was all the Indy stuff on The Wrestling Channel on Sky. He then pretty much trained himself on crash mats. For him to come this far in such a short space of time in insane. Turns out he trained Tyler Bate too, who will also get to the very top.

• Paid Members

As great as Pete Dunne is, and he's clearly the most exciting talent in the whole company at the moment, it felt like an anti-climax this week. Similar to when Nakamura had his first few matches at Full Sail after that incredible match with Sami Zayn. I can't really put my finger on it, it's definitely through no fault of his own, and there's nothing they can really do to avoid it. But when these guys steal the show in front of those huge, rabid crowds, putting on star-making performances, it feels like such a comedown when they have normal matches in front of that tiny crowd a week or so later. It's like when you'd seen these huge stars show up in the Impact Zone and everything felt like it'd gone down a few notches. 

In saying that though, Dunne still had a really good match, which is saying something against Danny Burch, who's got to be the most boring, generic, create-a-wrestler-before-you-edit-him guy on the roster. But yeah, Pete Dunne is the business. How Triple H can look at him and not want to feature him in a prominent match at next year's Wrestlemania is beyond me. He's outgrown the UK division before it's even properly started.

I hadn't really considered it until just now, but what a tragedy it is that Nakamura and Pete Dunne never bumped into each other in NXT. That's a dream feud. Involve Regal somehow and it'd be feud of the year with ease.

Ciampa's promo was fantastic. Simple, logical, sensible reasoning, it reminded me of that promo Foley cut before becoming the heel Dude Love against Austin in 1998. I can't wait for their feud to start, even if takes months for Ciampa to come back healthy. It's stuff like this that makes NXT the only show I really bother with on a weekly basis. I hate to sound like a "push the cruiserweights~! Kevin Dunn sucks~!" dickhead, or worse still Jim Cornette, but on a personal level NXT is exactly what I want from pro-wrestling. Basic, simple character building and storylines that make sense and pay off with good to great matches. I mean, fucking hell, they even managed to get me invested in Roderick Strong! That's a miracle in its own right.

Plus, the show isn't a million hours long. I don't think it's a coincidence that NXT, with its one hour weekly show and it's big events every couple of months, mirrors the type of wrestling I fell in love with as a kid. The current main roster programming, where you have to invest your entire fucking life into it if you want to watch it all, I genuinely wonder how kids bother these days. 

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

I really, really dislike moves where a guy throws his opponent into the air in an impractical manner so that they subsequently land on his knees.

Cedric Alexander's finisher is bad enough for this, but Strong's... Christ alive.

Another new theme song for NXT this week - previous one can't have lasted 3 months?

Wasn't even as long as that. Debuted on #387 (12/4/17). Lasted a whopping total of 6 episodes as the main theme. It was still used over one of the match graphics this week, so it could have been a placeholder until they got clearance for the new one as its an actual band's track rather than in house.

Decent episode for the most part this week. Pete Dunne did well again and Danny Birch is a good hand to be in there with

Edited by WyattSheepMask

I am so glad the Pete Dunne/Danny Burch match was not a quick jobbing effort. I liked how strong they made Burch look giving Dunne even more credibility when he put him away. 

Dunne's look is so good. Everything from the evil smile to the gumshield to the facial expressions. He also looks loads bigger than the 5ft10 he is listed at. 

After Dunne's run with the UK belt do you think he will be fast-tracked to the NXT roster? I think so. 

I'm interested to see where they are going with the Hideo angle. Was expecting an instant feud with Kassius after the push last week but then this week we got shown them making up. A slow heel turn perhaps?

• Paid Members
23 hours ago, Statto said:

Another new theme song for NXT this week - previous one can't have lasted 3 months?

Oh good, it's another rock/metal song. Finger on the pulse as usual.

• Paid Members

Anything that is more up to date than their beloved nu-rock. Something that is actually in now, like EDM. Or something that fits the tone of NXT, maybe some punk or hardcore similar to Aleister Black's theme.

I remember they did an advert for the Network in like 2011 and it stood out because they used dubstep, which at the time was relevant. They're so out of touch when it comes to music usually.