NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

Like most of you I went in to this event with high expectations, especially because of the high standard of previous Takeovers and with a card that included Dunne vs Bate, how could I not? 

I am so glad I was not disappointed in any way, I enjoyed each and every second and thought the match placement was perfect. Takeovers have become something I always get something from which I rarely get from the main show PPV's, maybe it is because there are less of them and with a shorter TV show, it makes me crave watching the wrestlers more. 

I think the background they have done on Roderick Strong over the last few weeks on NXT have made me invest in his character big time. I did not particularly care much for him before but seeing the behind the scenes stuff really helped develop him for me. I went in to his match with Young cheering every move and feeling genuinely happy for him. It just shows how much doing a bit of character development can do for a performer. If only we got that with some of the 205 guys. 

What is there to say about Bate and Dunne that has not already been said? A sure MOTY contender and something even my wife enjoyed watching with me. (This is unusual!). I believe Dunne has all the potential to be a top heel. I love his character, the moody persona gives him an edge I like. THAT smile, it is pure evil, it's great. 

It was a great choice putting the ladder match as main event I thought. It was a thrilling contest, one I was convinced DIY would win. The turn at the end was killer and I loved, as someone mentioned earlier, the little teaser of putting the logo up in the corner making you think the event had finished. 

A really great event and I am already excited about the next takeover. 

Really surprised to hear the hatred for McGuinness on here, I thought he was fine and by far the best of the entire commentary team.

What a match between Dunne and Bate and the ladder match (and turn) was really well done. 

The crowd was excellent too despite the lurking threats of fappery throughout the night.

• Paid Members
On ‎21‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 9:41 AM, FelatioLips said:

UK match was good but ladder match was MOTN for me. A shame they think every team needs to split these days cos once the feud finishes I can't see either of them going far.

That's my worry too - they'll have some great matches together, and Ciampa's a great heel, but I don't think they have a particularly high ceiling as singles guy. We'll get one or two brilliant matches out of the feud on NXT, heightened by the very real emotional response (and actual heat!) Ciampa got for the turn, and then what? That'll likely be their NXT swansong, and they'll either flounder on the main roster or, I suspect, end up on 205 Live, where they'll just be a lesser version of their NXT selves. At least as a team, they'd have had a shot at being a decent underdog face team on Smackdown.

• Paid Members

At the minute what is the alternative to them splitting? They are already setting up the next title feud without them so it keeps both guys relevant, they are guaranteed some great singles matches  and are one of the few teams that people are actually invested in that would get mileage out of the inevitable reunion down the line.

So on the Brighton Centre website they have a card. Tagged due to spoilers - but must be changing given some of Takeover's results

Spoiler

UK Live Event Card

June 8th, 2017

NXT Championship

Kassius Ohno v Bobby Roode

NXT Tag Team Championship

#DIY v Sanity v AOP

NXT Women’s Championship

Asuka v Peyton Royce

Intermission

Aleister Black v Roderick Strong

Trent Seven/Wolfgang v Pete Dunne/T-Bone

Ember Moon v Billie Kay

No Way Jose v Jack Gallagher

Drew McIntyre v Andrade Almas

Line-up subject to change

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, chokeout said:

At the minute what is the alternative to them splitting? They are already setting up the next title feud without them so it keeps both guys relevant, they are guaranteed some great singles matches  and are one of the few teams that people are actually invested in that would get mileage out of the inevitable reunion down the line.

If they weren't splitting, I'd have thought that match was their send-off. Let them go up to the main roster, and there's a few opportunities with them depending on what show they go to; rekindle the old magic with The Revival, could so some fun stuff with The Fashion Police (play up Ciampa's strikes and have them scared of being hit in the face and losing their looks, whatever), they could have some awesome matches as underdog babyfaces against Cesaro & Sheamus or a face vs. face spotfest with the Hardys.

There's definitely scope for them as team on either "main" show - as singles guys, I just worry that, once the feud is over, they're bound for the Cruiserweight division. I may be wrong, and they could step up into good singles roles on NXT or the main roster - Gargano absolutely proved his worth as a sympathetic face, and Ciampa could easily dial up the Psycho Killer act a notch or two and carve out a niche for himself - but I just see 205 Live in their future.

• Paid Members

Yep, I can't see past them as just being part of the mix in 205, Gargano especially. He's a fantastic babyface and is great at getting sympathy but he's going to have his work cut out making that happen in 5 minute CW matches

• Paid Members

Whilst the turn and split were done fantastically, I'd much rather they went upto the main roster as a team, and then possibly split down the line. By the time both of them leave NXT now, everything will be already played out and they'll have jack shit to do on the main roster/205 live.