NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

I wonder if it would've been best all round if Paige had stayed in NXT another year or so. The current crop of the women (or at least TEH WORKERZ amongst them) are always going to be quite overrated because of the patronising "women's wrestling *clapclapclapclapclap*" factor, but Paige really does seem firmly shitter than the three who got called up last year. Her bellyflop from the ropes to the floor at WrestleMania was embarrassing. A bit more development and maturity before coming up to Raw could have done wonders for her.

Ā 

On the other hand, she may still have been rubbish, in which case getting a foothold on the roster for eighteen months before Becky, Sasha and Charlotte turned up was a huge stroke of luck.

He didn't say progressing talent was their only aim, he just said the primary goal isn't to make money. Which is totally accurate.

Ā 

If NXT started posting a financial loss we'll see how important making money is. Besides, my initial post was that they could lose momentum by not making the effort to put together some of those TV tapings in time for the following Wednesday, which is true. Any promotion, be it the main show or developmental, especially when a company are investing money in it, is looking to grow a fanbase and make a profit.

Ā 

I seriously doubt I'm the only person who watched that Mania weekend show, thought it was great, was looking forward to Wednesday's show and was disappointed to learn there was no new material. How many of those people will bother tuning in next Wednesday to watch again? I'm a (admittedly lapsed) fan of wrestling and there's a good chance I'll end up forgetting.

Isn't NXT already a huge money loser, but they're willing to take the hit in the hope of developing for the future? That's how I've understood it.

Ā 

I also read that during various management meetings it was decided that NXT was now considered a "third brand" rather than a developmental set-up? If they're running it as a brand, with tours (overseas as well as domestic) and merchandise sales then surely the money it makes will come into play?

Ā 

Anyway, all of this started because I thought they missed a trick by not capitalising on the success of their Mania weekend show. They should really have put those TV tapings together between the weekend and Wednesday.

Obviously if NXT can bring in extra money to cover its cost then great, but that isn't what its main objective is. They want to create talent who will one day draw money. If they can do that while recovering some of the costs then great, but it doesn't matter so much if they dont.

Ā 

WWE probably get some kind of tax relief for it as well

Obviously if NXT can bring in extra money to cover its cost then great, but that isn't what its main objective is. They want to create talent who will one day draw money. If they can do that while recovering some of the costs then great, but it doesn't matter so much if they dont.

Ā 

WWE probably get some kind of tax relief for it as well

Ā 

And one of the ways they'll know if a talent is popular is by gauging fan response, isn't it? Which is why they probably should have done more to maintain the momentum of the Mania weekend show heading into last Wednesday's weekly, which is what my main point was.

Ā 

Saying that capitalising on that momentum doesn't really matter because they don't care about making money is a bit mental, when surely the more eyes on the product the better chance they have of finding this future star for the main roster?

But can you really judge fan response from the NXT crowd? A bunch of guys over the couple of years already have that built in fan base from the indies

Ā 

Not on its own, no, but when you couple that with ring awareness, ability on the microphone, how they handle performing in front of quite large crowds, how well their merchandise sells, how they handle themselves on the road and so forth then it gives them an idea of how they'll cope. Having more eyes on them only increases the range of responses they'll get.Ā 

Ā 

Obviously there's no way of really knowing until they get a crack at the main roster, but it's as good an indicator as they're going to get.

They missed a trick by having NXT Takeover Dallas in a small arena holding like 9,000. Given how quickly the other shows sold out they could have easily doubled that number in bigger arena.Ā 

Ā 

That said, next year they are putting it in the same arena as HOF/Raw.Ā 

How does keeping their momentum going help prepare them for Raw though? If anything they should do more stop/start booking with them all to see how they survive with bookers who don't give a fuck most weeks.

Ā 

With a big NXT show on Friday, Hall Of Fame on Saturday, WrestleMania on Sunday then post WM Raw on Monday I don't see why they need to have another fresh show out on Wednesday. We've enough wrestling for one week, another proper show would just burn everyone out

Ā 

Add in the fact if Vince was at Takeover on Friday they might not have known for sure who was getting called up Monday. Imagine if they planned a months worth of shows based on Joe, Balor and Bailey getting called up but then had to work around something entirely different.

• Paid Members

Anyone been tracking Austin Aries twtitter? He was vanity searching himself and had an transgender tweeter which wasnt very pleasent on his end. Leading to William Regal posting something about how people should bite their lip on social media. Fantastic wrestler, but this man is a fucking nutter. His decision making leaves a lot to be desired. Cant see him lasting long in WWE the way he is. He needs to cheer up.

The transgender issue didn't really factor into it until it was inferred by others.

Ā 

Aries' is a nutter, but I have some sympathy. If Someone says 'I want to see your face smashed in' unprompted and gets the reply 'hope not, then I'll be as ugly as you', I'd say that's a fairly standard, playground insult fare.

Ā 

It's not gentlemanly, and it certainly doesn't mark him out as a good guy but twitters a cess pool and neither are 'victims'. It's not like that time Robert Huth went on a #cockornot troll.

Ā 

But, overall, Aries should just learn to not reply. He's never going to gain from it.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz