NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

• Paid Members

Weren’t these matches taped at Axxess (before WrestleMania)? If so, the most cringeworthy line of the night was Graves doing his nut in that the ring announcer neglected to announce Baron Corbin as the André The Giant battle royal winner. I know the commentary’s amended post-show, but c’mon.

• Paid Members

"The ring announcer is a moron" is just a device to cover up the fact that these were taped before it happened, to explain why it wasn't mentioned, surely? No need to keep the ring announcer over.

It is one of the challenges of the taped show, though. I guess we're supposed to believe that people are still hanging around at Axxess, and will be for another month.

I guess that's not TOTALLY unbelievable (if you didn't know, you could be convinced that WWE sets up & runs an exhibition for a whole month around Wrestlemania week) but I do find it odd with shows like last week where we're supposed to believe that people have come back days later to the arena where Takeover was JUST to see Crews vs. Samson, and were willing to sit through an hour's worth of studio-hosted recaps for it too.

If you're gonna do it like that, what was the harm in Cathy Kelley hosting the whole show and saying "Before Takeover took place, this amazing match happened, and you're going to get an exclusive chance to see it in it's entirety tonight on NXT..." If you're going to lie, at least lie about the match being decent.

Edited by Statto

Does anyone think NXT at any point soon might start doing two hour shows weekly and instead of taping either film live for the Network or just do a taping each week somewhere else? Rather than film several episodes back to back? So like Raw they would travel city to city each week?

I didn't know if there was a long term goal with this? 

Edited by Briefcase

• Paid Members

Does anyone think NXT at any point soon might start doing two hour shows weekly and instead of taping either film live for the Network or just do a taping each week somewhere else? Rather than film several episodes back to back? So like Raw they would travel city to city each week?

I'd highly, highly doubt it. NXT is a massive expense as it is, they'll lose absolute shitloads if they did this for little gain. It's on the network, so they won't be making extra money from changing to the suggested format.

I was dreading Samson walking out before they announced Dillinger. Absolutely the last person I want to see him face. Put an unknown jobber out instead. Or that fat guy in the atrocious attire who wrestled this week.

Fucking Elias Samson.

I'd highly, highly doubt it. NXT is a massive expense as it is, they'll lose absolute shitloads if they did this for little gain. It's on the network, so they won't be making extra money from changing to the suggested format.

The number of actual network viewers are also apparently quite low for it, somewhere around 300,000 watch it week to week.

You can have too much of a good thing, and that's what would happen if they put NXT to 2hours or take it out on the road. It is still the developmental league afterall, if it's not broke don't fix it

Just watching this weeks episode with Austin Aries' match against Angelo Dawkins (who looks much larger than I remember him being) and there it was, that bloody 'out of the head scissors, do a dropkick' spot.

Crowd does seem to be surprisingly quiet, and they were all over the place on that finish. It looks like they either haven't decided what Aries' finish is going to be, or he simply can't do the Brainbuster on the larger guys he's faced so far. Putting him in there with Corbin and Dawkins does seen to have accentuated how small he is though. Having said that, he has always looked like a guy who suffers from Little Bloke Syndrome.

Alexa's double knees finish is fucking weak looking.

Looks like they were hinting at Balor v Nakamura at some point down the line also. I reckon they may do that if they have another Takeover at Summerslam weekend, as opposed to the next one in June

And tucker Knight coming out to Tori's old theme!

Edited by WyattSheepMask

It was definitely a strange episode. Nothing really wrong with it in terms of quality, but certainly the crowd didn't seem too bothered. Just politely clapping every so often like it was full of Japanese fans or something.

Nakamura's match was never going to reach the heights of his Zayn match but it was still great to see him, and I do love Tye's 10 gimmick.

Yeah the NXT squashes remind me of old school WWF stuff that we used to get on TV sometimes. It can be a great way to get people over. It doesn't need to be heavy every week.

There's a reason the Takeover events feel so special. NXT manages to build to a crescendo instead of just going crazy every week.