Standup Comedy

iamthedoctor

Just now, wordsfromlee said:

I dunno, Bill Cosby is supposed to be touring this year and he's neither white nor middle aged.

As things stand, he isn’t returning to touring, he’s considering it. But his return has been met with a fuckload of scrutiny that Louis CK’s hasn’t. Mind you, Cosby got out of prison because his defence was essentially “Yeah I did it but I struck a deal with the previous DA saying I couldn’t be prosecuted and you have to honour that deal” so fuck the pair of them. 

1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

Louis CK is proof that there is no such thing as cancel culture. Well, for middle aged white men anyway. 

Cancel culture will never exist for famous people. There's far too many people who will remain fans no matter what someone does.

Must say I can separate art from an artist and if people want to watch someone who is dubious then that's their choice. Louis CK is selling out massive stadiums so the crowd is still there for him. Think he releases his own stuff etc

Edited by Factotum

23 minutes ago, Factotum said:

Must say I can separate art from an artist and if people want to watch someone who is dubious then that's their choice

Of course, and given how this is a wrestling forum, it seems on the whole that’s what we do. 

24 minutes ago, Factotum said:

Louis CK is selling out massive stadiums so the crowd is still there for him

Yep, and I think that’s society telling on itself. I think anyone crying “Cancelled” will automatically be welcomed by a large amount of people regardless of their output because they see themselves as anti woke or whatever bollocks they call it this week. 

And of course, being cancelled doesn’t apply to those on the left. 

9 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Who's watching pretty much every Woody Allen film from the first 20 years of his career and thinking, "Sure, I can separate these!"

Annie Hall Woody Allen GIF by Filmin

Diane Keaton with the lobster is my conscience. 

I'm sorry, I still love Manhattan and Annie Hall. I know I shouldn't be watching them and they do make me feel bad, but I still think they're brilliant films.

Annie Hall especially was a bit of a comfort film for me when I was an awkward lonely teenager so it presents a bit of an issue.

Well, la-di-da, la-di-da.