Standup Comedy

iamthedoctor

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Awards Moderator

Eldest Onyx Jr has asked to go see comedy for his birthday. We've seen most big names. Who's up and coming, not quite on mainstream radar yet, likely doing pre-Edinburgh stuff that's worth seeing in London and the South East that I can take him to see? I'm guessing someone like @Dead Mike knows what's going on?

(He's in his twenties btw, it doesn't need to be Mr Tumble level comedy)

• 1 month later...
On 12/9/2022 at 10:58 PM, Slapnut said:

Over the last two months I’ve been doing a stand up course…

Following on from this, I’ve done about 15 or 16 gigs since the start of the year and they’ve all gone reasonably well. I’ve had some absolutely wonderful gigs and I’ve had some painfully average gigs in front of 4 people, but no absolute horror shows.

Until today.

I was booked for a gig this evening in a pub, and it was only this morning I realised it was part of an all-day festival. My arse completely went from under me when I walked into what I can only describe as Brexit in pub form.

One by one each of the other acts walked in and almost everyone’s first words were “fucking hell”.

Within a few minutes of the MC starting, a few of Cardiff’s finest walked out into the smoking area where all the acts were gathered and proclaimed they were going to “glass the cheeky cunt if he tells me to shut up one more time”.

One of the acts was about to do her very first gig until she saw the opening act get absolutely annihilated and instead just left. Poor lass.

Anyway, I was booked for 10 minutes and made it through 4 and a half before bailing. I think I would have been ok until a bloke in his 50s stood at the back threatened to beat me up because I was mumbling “like his ex wife”, and the barmaid stopped my set to shout at everybody for talking too much like they were in school.

Afterwards one of the nicer audience members told me it wouldn’t be this bad again next time I have a gig there. Bit fucking optimistic to think I’ll ever step foot in there again.

I’m already shitting myself about my next gig. I’d better fucking get on Live at the Apollo eventually.

Edited by Slapnut

• Paid Members

Stick in there @Slapnut. I've been in a room where a comedian got a similar reaction once and it was very uncomfortable but it was more down to the pub not booking the right kind of entertainment, it also didn't help that the mic/PA was nowhere near loud enough for the size of the room. It was Boxing Day and everyone in the room just wanted to drink and talk amongst themselves, it was tosser central too. Comedian never stood a chance.

I've been gigging for over 6 years now (all your own jokes mate? Yes 🙄). @Slapnut unfortunately these kind of awful, not well booked or organised things are par for the course, but good to see it hasn't put you off. Also get it hopefully you have a close support system with things like comedy. It will, if you don't handle it correctly can be absolutely terrifyingly depressing. Awful gig but you'll have more belters.

10 hours ago, Slapnut said:

think I would have been ok until a bloke in his 50s stood at the back threatened to beat me up because I was mumbling “like his ex wife”,

Should've replied "Mumbling? That's because she always had your neighbours cock in her mouth" and legged it 🤣

I like that the barmaid thought she was doing the right thing though. That's quite sweet in a way.

3 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Stick in there @Slapnut. I've been in a room where a comedian got a similar reaction once and it was very uncomfortable but it was more down to the pub not booking the right kind of entertainment, it also didn't help that the mic/PA was nowhere near loud enough for the size of the room. It was Boxing Day and everyone in the room just wanted to drink and talk amongst themselves, it was tosser central too. Comedian never stood a chance.

If you hadn’t said it was Boxing Day I’d have asked if it was last night, sounds almost identical!

2 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Should've replied "Mumbling? That's because she always had your neighbours cock in her mouth" and legged it 🤣

I like that the barmaid thought she was doing the right thing though. That's quite sweet in a way.

I had one of those utterly frustrating “this is what I should have said” moments almost immediately after finishing up, and that was indeed one of them! Glad I didn’t tbh because he looked quite hard.

It was definitely a nice gesture from the barmaid but killed me stone dead. There was absolutely no coming back from that. Like when your mother gives the bullies a bollocking which only makes things worse.

Edited by Slapnut

I watched Tom Segura’s Mostly Stories and his latest one Sledgehammer on Netflix recently. There’s a joke on Sledgehammer that is painfully relatable and disturbingly funny that I imagine most dads with lads will crack up at. I watched Chris Distefano’s Speshy Weshy which is a solid 30 minute special but I’d heard his best dad stories on podcasts already. 

• 4 weeks later...

I like most of these! Especially the Amos Gill one.

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2023/aug/14/need-a-good-laugh-the-10-best-jokes-from-the-edinburgh-festival-2023

A few years ago, one of my very good childhood friends jokes was in the top ten. "If I could only take one thing to a desert island, I probably wouldn't go"

His names Dave Green, if you ever see his name on a poster, well worth seeing :)

• 4 months later...
  • Paid Members

Watched a new one by this guy called Matt Rife and it really is hideously awful. Reminds me of the American Dapper Laughs in that he has this huge female following while he tells mostly misogynist shit jokes.

Mike Birbiglia's most recent couple are very good though and I like him and his shows a lot.