Standup Comedy

iamthedoctor

• Paid Members
57 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Annie Hall Woody Allen GIF by Filmin

Diane Keaton with the lobster is my conscience. 

I'm sorry, I still love Manhattan and Annie Hall. I know I shouldn't be watching them and they do make me feel bad, but I still think they're brilliant films.

Annie Hall especially was a bit of a comfort film for me when I was an awkward lonely teenager so it presents a bit of an issue.

Well, la-di-da, la-di-da. 

I watched a bit of Blue Jasmine about 5 years ago and there's a joke in it about age gap relationships and that was about it for me. My favourite of his will always be Manhattan Murder Mystery even if it's nobody else's.

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I watched a bit of Blue Jasmine about 5 years ago and there's a joke in it about age gap relationships and that was about it for me. My favourite of his will always be Manhattan Murder Mystery even if it's nobody else's.

I think I prefer Bullets Over Broadway from the same period, but MMM has Jerry Adler, so you may have the right of it. 

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Couldn't be more with you on that to be honest, an utter joy of a film.

• Paid Members
On 2/13/2023 at 10:51 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

The new Marc Maron show (From Bleak to Dark) is doing the rounds and could be his best one yet. The stuff about Lynn Shelton is so, so good to the point where I have no idea how he made it so funny.

It's really good. Easily the best 'dead dad' stand up show I've seen and not at all mawkish. Plus, 'angel factories'.

More comedians are self producing shows and releasing them on YouTube & I'm 100% here for it. It goes some way to leveling the playing field away from the big agents & TV gatekeepers and box tickers. Some I've enjoyed recently - 

Adam Rowe - Imperious

Mark Nelson - Comedian

Dan Nightingale - Smasher

Mark Nelson's show isn't my favourite of his but I think it's the best I've seen at capturing the feel of being at the Edinburgh Fringe. A room not designed for performances and an audience where a good chunk of them had no clue about who they were going to see.

Edited by Dead Mike

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Watched Nate Bargatze's most recent two shows and I really like this guy. Just very engaging and light and his delivery is outstanding. His first two are on Netflix and his latest is on Prime, if you're interested.

• 2 weeks later...

Chris Rock: Selective Outrage

The themes of this are quite lazy (modern culture, wokeness, victimisation, Meghan Markle) but I'll be honest, I did laugh quite a bit, especially at the bits on the Royal family and the Kardashians and OJ.

His Bigger And Blacker set is probably my favourite routine of all time, so I'll always have time for him more than most, and *Chris voice* let some shit sliiiiide.

With it being live though, he MASSIVELY fucked up a joke about the Oscars incident, and they've kept it in the edited version, which is strange.

• 4 weeks later...

Mae Martin: SAP (Netflix)

Very, very funny. Mae has such a lovely nature about them and is just incredibly watchable. I loved it and if you haven't seen their show Feel Good I strongly suggest you do, one of the best TV shows of the last few years. And they're on the new Taskmaster tomorrow!

I know there are a few people on here that work in stand up, so if you ever speak to Mae, tell them I love them and I am still single.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Mae Martin: SAP (Netflix)

Very, very funny. Mae has such a lovely nature about them and is just incredibly watchable. I loved it and if you haven't seen their show Feel Good I strongly suggest you do, one of the best TV shows of the last few years. And they're on the new Taskmaster tomorrow!

I know there are a few people on here that work in stand up, so if you ever speak to Mae, tell them I love them and I am still single.

Glad to hear this, was going to check it out later this week.

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Have you seen their episode on the Netflix series Comedians Of The World? The Bette Midler bit always kills me.

No, to be honest I haven't seen much of them at all but I'd heard this was a good special and was looking forward to it as most Netflix ones are shit.