Standup Comedy

iamthedoctor

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

I remember you mentioning on Twitter years back that you were thinking of starting a Letterboxd list of 'nice jackets in movies'. I think at the time I recommended Kathryn Newtons jacket in Freaky. Did you ever get around to this?

No, but a friend of mine did although he hasn't updated it in years:-

https://letterboxd.com/letshugbro/list/films-featuring-jackets-i-really-like/

But Newton's is very good (good film, too). Similar to Madison Iseman's in Goosebumps 2, which was also surprisingly fun.

Anyone been or going to any of the dates on the RHLSTP Tour? I’ve just booked tickets for the last date at Hull City Hall now that the guests have been confirmed. Tommy Cannon in one that’s being recorded for release and Bob Mortimer which is apparently not being recorded.

• Paid Members

Just watched the Joe Pera special from last year and absolutely loved it. Double-billing it with the Jacqueline Novak one would be an adventure.

So my debut show was meant to be today (Leicester Comedy Festival)

Two days ago I developed an abscess that's affected my eye and mouth and its pulling and inflammation on me face so I can't talk properly and I'm in a lot of pain. So I've had to cancel the show. I'm absolutely fucking devastated as it's taken me years to get me confidence up for doing one. Just really fucking frustrated.

Edited by Chili

11 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Just watched the Joe Pera special from last year and absolutely loved it. Double-billing it with the Jacqueline Novak one would be an adventure.

I've never heard of this one, but will give it a go based on your recommendation. 

I honestly can't remember the last new show I watched, but I did rewatch Chris Rock - Bigger & Blacker, which is still my favourite show of all time.

His first couple of HBO specials were phenomenonal. 

3 hours ago, Chili said:

So my debut show was meant to be today (Leicester Comedy Festival)

Two days ago I developed an abscess that's affected my eye and mouth and its pulling and inflammation on me face so I can't talk properly and I'm in a lot of pain. So I've had to cancel the show. I'm absolutely fucking devastated as it's taken me years to get me confidence up for doing one. Just really fucking frustrated.

Ah that’s proper shit, mate. Hope you get better soon and hopefully your show can be rescheduled. 

I missed an event because of an abscess years ago and I haven’t heard the end of it!

• Paid Members

I've watched a bunch over the last couple of weeks.

Jenny Slate: Seasoned Professional (Prime) - very much enjoyed this, but might not be to everyone's tastes because of her pitch and tone. I love her, though.

Norm Macdonald: Me Doing Standup - we all love Norm and as much as I like his stand-up, I think I always preferred him when he was working with someone and doing interviews. Such a big part of his appeal was riffing off people and tormenting them. Still good, though.

Neal Brennan: Blocks (Netflix) - absolute neo-liberal bullshit. Wasn't at all shocked to find out this was directed by Derek DelGaudio. Very, very bad with a hefty dose of 'sad comedy'.

Kelsey Cook: The Hustler (YouTube) - never heard of her before but this was a really solid debut. Nothing too groundbreaking but great delivery and personality. Also, BONK alert.

Atsuko Okatsuka: The Intruder - another new one on me, this was superb. Loved her tone and quick delivery, her turn of phrase was especially good. Hope to hear more from her.

Wanda Sykes: I’m an Entertainer (Netflix) - I think Wanda's best days are behind her but her shows are still always a good time and full of laughs even if she's recycling a lot of her older stuff.

Shane Gillis: Beautiful Dogs (Netflix) - never heard of this guy but turned it off after 4 minutes when he used the 'r' slur. What a prick.

I also tried about 10 minutes of a Matt Rife show (I can't remember which one) and christ it was an ordeal. Never again.

Edited by Devon Malcolm