Standup Comedy

iamthedoctor

29 minutes ago, Wretch said:

I bet the Gervais from 2002 would fucking hate the version we have now. 

Nah, he was a wanker back then as well. I always remember (and post)the anecdote Bae Vicky C wrote in her poker book how she met him on a celebrity poker show. He was on the 11 O’Clock show back then and poker wasn’t the thing it became. So the celeb game was Stephen Fry and not famous people, like her and Gervais. 

He was all lovely saying I’ve not really played much poker “That’s what I like to hear” she replied and everyone laughed, and he looked annoyed. Anyway he got rinsed and in the green room Stephen Fry said the “Real game” was in his hotel room. He looked thrilled to be invited to spend time with a big name. Anyway, Gervais lost a shit ton of money really quickly and got really angry. As he put his coat on and stormed out the door he spat “Yeah I might be shit at poker but at least I ain’t gay” and slammed the door. 

• 5 weeks later...

Hello, I'm so sorry do a self-promotional post but as some of you might be vaguely aware. I've tread the boards for a few years as a stand-up. I'm doing my first solo show at the Leicester Comedy Festival on Saturday February 17. I know absolutely nobody in Leicester but if anyone reading this does and could gently make them aware of this, I would be extremely grateful. Tickets are ÂŁ5 and there's an outside chance some fucking lunatic is actually going to purchase one. I don't have PR and I'm appallingly self conscious about posting my comedy stuff round here. Thanks for reading, just popping out to stop having a panic attack posting this ha.

Ticket link here

Good luck, @Chili!

I lived in Leicester for a year and found it to be a really nice city. I'm not sure if anyone I know from my time there actually still lives there, but I'll have a look and pass along as appropriate. 

If you want any recommendations for good places to eat and drink etc. then give me a shout. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Chili said:

Hello, I'm so sorry do a self-promotional post but as some of you might be vaguely aware. I've tread the boards for a few years as a stand-up. I'm doing my first solo show at the Leicester Comedy Festival on Saturday February 17. I know absolutely nobody in Leicester but if anyone reading this does and could gently make them aware of this, I would be extremely grateful. Tickets are ÂŁ5 and there's an outside chance some fucking lunatic is actually going to purchase one. I don't have PR and I'm appallingly self conscious about posting my comedy stuff round here. Thanks for reading, just popping out to stop having a panic attack posting this ha.

Ticket link here

Hi. I'll try and get a few bods together and attend this. very surprised that it's being held at the East St Lanes venue. It's a bowling alley. i can see the benefits. Good luck with the show.

Leicester comedy Festival has been going a few years now. I've checked out a few shows in the past. They spread the acts all over the city centre and you often find that a set pops up in the most unlikely of venues. The last one I attended was in a small meeting room as the support to a street food festival. food was good. Comedy wasn't bad.

• Paid Members

So I watched Jacqueline Novak: Get on Your Knees earlier and I want to know how I'd never heard of someone capable of a show that amazing before.

Impossible to understand how she's new to me. 90 minutes on one subject (blowjobs), delivered like Robin Williams at his coked-up best, with the best timing and turn of phrase I've heard in any show for ages. I hope she becomes massive off this.

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

So I watched Jacqueline Novak: Get on Your Knees earlier and I want to know how I'd never heard of someone capable of a show that amazing before.

Impossible to understand how she's new to me. 90 minutes on one subject (blowjobs), delivered like Robin Williams at his coked-up best, with the best timing and turn of phrase I've heard in any show for ages. I hope she becomes massive off this.

I just listened to her on the Comedy Bang Bang podcast talking about it today. I’ll have to check it out. Directed by Natasha Lyonne if I’m not mistaken.

• Paid Members

I've got a free ticket for Andy Parsons later which I'm mainly using as an excuse to go to the pub before and after. I'm assuming he walks on stage and says something in the Andy Parsons voice and we all get home by 8PM.

• Paid Members
Just now, Gus Mears said:

I've got a free ticket for Andy Parsons later which I'm mainly using as an excuse to go to the pub before and after. I'm assuming he walks on stage and says something in the Andy Parsons voice and we all get home by 8PM.

I've seen him in the past Gustavo. He was OK, not a night wasted in the slightest. 

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Gus Mears said:

Ah, that's good to hear. My memories of him are entirely based on 15 year old episodes of Mock the Week in fairness.

He's one of the Mockers who just went back to the comedy circuit rather than really kicking on like your Acasters, your Gambles, and your Yasheres of this world. I don't know if he even does a podcast, which seems to be the default setting of most stand ups. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

The new Taylor Tomlinson special just came on Netflix. Probably her best one yet, she's steadily improving and this one was especially superb. Absolutely terrific jacket too, I feel contractually obliged to point out.

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Absolutely terrific jacket too, I feel contractually obliged to point out.

I remember you mentioning on Twitter years back that you were thinking of starting a Letterboxd list of 'nice jackets in movies'. I think at the time I recommended Kathryn Newtons jacket in Freaky. Did you ever get around to this?