Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

11 minutes ago, Rob Lowe said:

I would hope people read/saw the horrible shit he was saying in the run up to the election, but clearly that didn't make a difference. Lawler at the rally is really embarrassing though. A lot of voters must be quietly mortified at how bad Trump turned out, still supporting him now is mind boggling.

It would surprise you I think. The Guardian were reporting not too long ago that Trump's approval rating has been "incredibly stable."

Thing is, he's largely kept his promises. Lefties can wring their hands all they want but the American economy is healthy, he hasn't dragged them into any wars, he's reduced unemployment and he's not made any noises about taking away their guns. Oh, and he's credited, rightly or wrongly, with defeating ISIS. He's had so much negative media coverage that it only galvanizes his supporters, rather than changing their minds. 

As for wrestlers liking him, he speaks their language. Wrestling is a capitalist enterprise that is traditionally based on the ethos of might is right, and keeping foreigners and minorities in their place by and large. Trump and wrestling are 2 peas in a pod.

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, David said:

Is it such a stretch to think that some of the company mainstays are on good terms with him? 

I guess so, but if someone ignores all his unpleasantness and voted for him because they shook his hand backstage at Raw years ago, that's pretty mortifying. I suspect most people voted for their usual party.

12 minutes ago, David said:

It would surprise you I think. The Guardian were reporting not too long ago that Trump's approval rating has been "incredibly stable."

Trump's poll numbers go up and down like a yo yo, its a daily shit show. I wouldn't put any faith into the polls. We will have to wait for the November mid terms to see the big picture. 

Just now, Rob Lowe said:

Trump's poll numbers go up and down like a yo yo, its a daily shit show. I wouldn't put any faith into the polls. We will have to wait for the November mid terms to see the big picture. 

Like the chap posting above has said, has he actually done anything that would upset his supporters? I don't really think so, having my own ideas of the type of person who'd vote for him.

He's pretty much lived up to his claims so far, minus that fucking wall he kept banging on about, although the NY Post claimed a while back that construction has started in San Diego or something.

There's a solid 30% of the electorate over there who love what Trump is doing.  They hate federal, Washington politics and intellectuals telling them what to do, so he's manna to heaven for them.  There is, quite literally, nothing he could do that they couldn't spin away.  

Linda McMahon is a part of his administration isn't she?  So there's probably a pretty pro-Trump feel to the company.

America is a fucking weird place - it's very different to how it seems in Hollywood/New York movies.  Large swathes of the country are deeply religious, deeply conservative and frankly backwards people.  It's nothing like Europe or the UK.

• Paid Members

Pete didn't work either of the matches he was announced for at Fight Club Pro's Project Mayhem weekender, so I had wondered if he was maybe working hurt and/or protecting himself for Wembley. 

• Paid Members
57 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Pete didn't work either of the matches he was announced for at Fight Club Pro's Project Mayhem weekender, so I had wondered if he was maybe working hurt and/or protecting himself for Wembley. 

Yeah, I too wondered that. Pretty shit on FCP's part to not announce that he wouldn't be competing but I guess they/Pete wanted to keep it under wraps so as to not nix his Ilja match the very next day.

There's still a small smidgen of doubt inside of me though that this is just WWE posturing and not letting Pete work these dates. Whether they're doing it to remind Pete who's boss or to further restrict him to work for 'approved' companies. 

Probably not though, but I guess we'll see what happens with the NXT tapings.

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

Pretty shit on FCP's part to not announce that he wouldn't be competin

That really bothered me. I hadn't been at night one, so didn't realise until checking results after the fact that he hadn't competed then either, but I had been really looking forward to Dunne/CIMA, and for it to not happen with no explanation was a big disappointment.

Fair enough, "Card Subject To Change", but when you're opening the show by talking to the crowd about upcoming events, it's not like you don't have the opportunity to let them know that a match they're expecting to see won't be taking place. 

• Paid Members
34 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

That really bothered me. I hadn't been at night one, so didn't realise until checking results after the fact that he hadn't competed then either, but I had been really looking forward to Dunne/CIMA, and for it to not happen with no explanation was a big disappointment.

Fair enough, "Card Subject To Change", but when you're opening the show by talking to the crowd about upcoming events, it's not like you don't have the opportunity to let them know that a match they're expecting to see won't be taking place. 

Exaclty.

"Card Subject To Change" can be thrown about as much as they like, but that doesn't mean you skip on announcing anything to the live crowd. Especially so seeing as Pete interfered in the Mille/Jinny match on night one AND he was with the rest of BSS during the N2 opening promo so we knew he was in the building, there was no reason for us to think that he wouldn't be competing. There was a collective groan when Stronghearts came out for the tag because we knew we had just been duped.

The really frustrating thing is the lack of effort on FCP's part. Yeah, maybe not wise to tell everyone about Pete's injury the night before Wembley (potentially putting a stop to his Ilja match) but Pete has story line issues with Devlin and Jinny, and there's also the big heel group that they're building heat for; couldn't he had been attacked right after the opening promo to give a decent excuse for him skipping the CIMA match? It's just laziness. Give us something, don't treat us like children.

Edited by Accident Prone

• Paid Members

Yeah - you either have Trent say, "unfortunately, Pete is injured and unable to compete tonight" during the opening promo; you risk letting the crowd down, but then you build them back up with the Korauken Hall announcement, or you run an angle with Schadenfreude taking Pete out to build more heat on them. Hell, have CIMA come to Pete's defence to set up the Strong Hearts/Schadenfreude tag match, rather than it feeling like a throwaway match.

You can't hold it against a promotion when they're forced to change a card around due to injury or absence, but the least you can ask is that they keep you informed - particularly as Dunne/CIMA was an advertised match, and one I was particularly looking forward to. A rare mis-step on the customer service front from Fight Club, in my experience.

21 hours ago, David said:

Isn't Trump's numbers largely skewered by his base? Read/heard some rumblings that regular Republican voters are abandoning the party, possibly resulting in a political bloodbath in the mid terms.

Trump's evangelical support perfectly highlights just how full of shit the religious really right-wing are. Absolute cretins.

Ted Cruz being toppled in Texas would be bliss. Slimy little cunt.

2 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

Isn't Trump's numbers largely skewered by his base? Read/heard some rumblings that regular Republican voters are abandoning the party, possibly resulting in a political bloodbath in the mid terms.

Trump's evangelical support perfectly highlights just how full of shit the religious really right-wing are. Absolute cretins.

Ted Cruz being toppled in Texas would be bliss. Slimy little cunt.

The figures can certainly be used in a number of ways, but I think it's fairly safe to say that anyone who actually put pen to paper for the Donald isn't going to have suddenly found his chat and antics abhorrent.

The people who supported him are probably the same people who support him now.

• Paid Members
20 hours ago, Loki said:

Large swathes of the country are deeply religious, deeply conservative and frankly backwards people.  It's nothing like Europe or the UK.

JHP_MDM_280618FARAGE_12.jpg

2016-06-24t070116z_48156362_lr1ec6o0jh.j

Edited by garynysmon