Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

• Paid Members

Hopefully he doesn’t get in to any bother for that, it’s just a bit of beef, it can be healthy. I am however glad he’s away from commentary though. He is pure shit.

Someone made a fairly valid point that we tend to blame commentators for the shit they spout, when in actual fact a good chunk of the blame should be placed on those who provide the content fed through the ear piece. Regardless of how true that sentiment is, Booker was just shit.

If nothing else his demotion should hopefully be somewhat of a heads up to the others.. don’t be shit.

WWE UK Superstar Tyler Bate has reportedly fallen out of favor with company officials, according to Dave Meltzer on Wrestling Observer Radio.

The heat goes back to before Bate lost the WWE UK Title to current champion Pete Dunne at WWE NXT "Takeover: Chicago" in May of 2017. Apparently there was a situation where WWE wanted to use Bate on a main roster tour but he had made other plans and couldn't work the tour. It was noted that WWE called Bate late for the bookings but he had other plans.

Bate worked several NXT live events in 2017 and made his return to WWE TV for the loss to Roderick Strong on a recent episode of NXT. That match was to crown the new #1 contender to Dunne. Bate worked last week's WWE 205 Live episode and loss to TJP in the first round of the WWE Cruiserweight Title tournament. He also worked Friday's NXT TV tapings in Atlanta, wrestling The Velveteen Dream for an upcoming episode.

Surely if there was that much heat stemming all the way back to last May/June, they wouldn't be booking him at all?

He had a few great matches last year, including NXT match of the year. He is also the first UK Champion and won a tournament. Much more useful to have him put over other wrestlers in good matches rather than just not book him. He is still young as well, they are probably going to give him more slack while trying to nudge him in the right direction 

I feel safe in writing this, given that it's almost a week after it aired, but just in case- 205 Live spoilers from last week's ep coming:

I was surprised that Tyler Bate lost in the first round of the 205 tournament. TJP was in the middle of a losing streak/throwing tantrums angle, and Bate would have been a far more interesting option to progress anyway. So, I don't know if that's the reason heat from last May is being brought up, but I certainly thought it was an odd booking decision.

WWE hold grudges over the pettiest things sometimes though. It seems like Bate, in their eyes, should have told the smaller promotions to fuck off and joined the WWE tour. I feel like it shows integrity to honour your first commitment made.

(I'm assuming the plans were other wrestling bookings. If his plans were to go on a holiday with his missus or something, that probably wasn't the best move.)

Edited by Shane O' Mac Version 2

12 minutes ago, Shane O' Mac Version 2 said:

I feel safe in writing this, given that it's almost a week after it aired, but just in case- 205 Live spoilers from last week's ep coming:

I was surprised that Tyler Bate lost in the first round of the 205 tournament. TJP was in the middle of a losing streak/throwing tantrums angle, and Bate would have been a far more interesting option to progress anyway. So, I don't know if that's the reason heat from last May is being brought up, but I certainly thought it was an odd booking decision.

WWE hold grudges over the pettiest things sometimes though. It seems like Bate, in their eyes, should have told the smaller promotions to fuck off and joined the WWE tour. I feel like it shows integrity to honour your first commitment made.

(I'm assuming the plans were other wrestling bookings. If his plans were to go on a holiday with his missus or something, that probably wasn't the best move.)

It was to go on Holiday with his family, his Mum has posted a statement on social media.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Shane O' Mac Version 2 said:

It seems like Bate, in their eyes, should have told the smaller promotions to fuck off and joined the WWE tour.

That's kind of how the UK guys' contracts are leveraged. There are a few preferred ones the WWE likes but by and large the talent are more paid to not go to the other ones.

• Awards Moderator

If you like this sort of thing, here's WWE's most recent financial call slides:

http://imgur.com/a/8rBOt

Couple of points:

TV is still the goliath of revenue at about 35% of total.

New or possibly reaffirmed TV deals announced for US and UK this year. 

A new Trump tax law will cut them about a 9% break. That's fucking huge. 

1.53 million paid Network subscriptions.