Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Judging from Kate Nash's Instagram, I think most (if not all) of the filming for season 2 has been wrapped up.

Great news!

Re : Horseys match... maybe we're all giving too much credit to this "hide Rouseys limitations" thought. They didn't give Maria Menounos or even Snooki four opponents and three partners to take the pressure off, after all. Although to play devils advocate, they weren't earmarked for potential longer term use as Ronda may be. Who knows.

• Paid Members

Menounos and Snooki were both used sparingly in tag matches, and mostly there for novelty factor somewhere in the midcard - I don't really remember Menounos' match, but when Snooki pulled off her only move of the match, the announcers sold it as something they were shocked she was able to pull off.

In Rousey's case, they're going to want her to look like she can handle herself, and look like a legitimate threat, from the very beginning. Of course, she's also coming from a vastly different background to those two, so presumably would be easier to transition into a worked match. I don't see it being anything other than a one-on-one match, though.

• Paid Members

Would Ronda's extensive judo background help her get the fundamentals like bumping down fairly quickly? Just thinking of the break fall training in Judo (as I understand it) would be theoretically similar, and would give her a leg up on most novices if so. Might be way off though.  

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, mim731 said:

Would Ronda's extensive judo background help her get the fundamentals like bumping down fairly quickly? Just thinking of the break fall training in Judo (as I understand it) would be theoretically similar, and would give her a leg up on most novices if so. Might be way off though.  

Theoretically, yeah. There are differences between break falls in judo and bumping in wrestling, and one thing I've seen people struggle with when making that crossover is rolling differently. The main advantage of coming from a martial arts background into wrestling is that you already have an understanding of how your body works, and the coordination to pick up on what's expected of you pretty quickly, even if it means having to unlearn a few ingrained habits. Whereas someone like me still struggles massively with the necessary coordination, because I'm an unathletic clumsy idiot.

• Paid Members
Just now, BomberPat said:

Theoretically, yeah. There are differences between break falls in judo and bumping in wrestling, and one thing I've seen people struggle with when making that crossover is rolling differently. The main advantage of coming from a martial arts background into wrestling is that you already have an understanding of how your body works, and the coordination to pick up on what's expected of you pretty quickly, even if it means having to unlearn a few ingrained habits. Whereas someone like me still struggles massively with the necessary coordination, because I'm an unathletic clumsy idiot.

Cheers Pat, I had wondered about that, so good to get some insight.

• Paid Members
44 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

There's also the fundamental difference between the purposes of break-falls and bumps - the former is simply to prevent you from injuring yourself, regardless of who's watching, whilst the latter is to prevent you from injuring yourself too much (while accepting you'll potentially sustain a teensy bit of damage), but making it look like you've been hurt by the fall/slam/drop.

For someone like Rousey, whose martial arts training began when she was a young child (four years old, I think), that kind of conditioning must be so ingrained by now, learning to bump must feel wrong and counter-intuitive to her. She's basically going to have to unlearn some of the most essential basics of her lifetime's teaching, in order to learn something that's not quite diametrically opposed to them, but certainly different enough to jar with her strongest instincts.

• Paid Members

It depends what's going to be expected of her - a lot of people seem to be under the impression she's a long-term investment, while I can't see her working more than one or two matches. It's entirely possible that they have her work a match that's not too heavy on bumping in the first place - a match with Asuka would be more focused on strikes and mat work, and any "bumping" could be accomplished with break falls and rolling, as she's not somebody who relies on slams and power moves, so there wouldn't be as much call for a big, dramatic flat back bump.

There is a lot of "unlearning" to be done, but that can be easier for a lot of people than learning from scratch, and I think that comes down to coordination and already having the fundamental understanding of how to use your own body - how your feet are positioned while you're focused on using your arms, as a basic example, is something the majority of people never stop and think about, so having that heightened awareness through martial arts training can easily lend itself to picking up the fundamentals of wrestling quicker than most. I'd say - in my limited experience - the only better background than martial arts is probably dance, in that respect.

14 hours ago, The King Of Swing said:

I was hoping for Kairi Sane to make a surprise appearance but I recently found out that she's out injured.

Honestly there isn't many former stars I care enough about to get excited by a surprise entry.

Was only a minor injury.  She's back now.

2 hours ago, mim731 said:

The origins of Pro Wrestling training is essentially Judo, the things you learn in the first few lessons are all based on traditional Judo teachings.

Sad thing is I bet the majority of people teaching this at Schools don't actually know this..

• Paid Members

Have to agree with Pat that it'd be pointless having the Horsewomen hanging about. Nobody really gave a fuck about Baszler, Duke and Shafir in MMA. They were just 'Ronda's mates' when she was at her undefeated peak and Goldberging her way through opponents. None of them were much good. Them being featured at a WrestleMania would be shite. If anything, their involvement would surely only dilute some of Ronda's impact. Which kind of defeats the purpose of bringing her in. It would be like if they'd brought Brock back in 2012 in a stable with Pat Barry and Chris Tuchscherer just because they were his training partners in MMA. No-one cares about the big star's mates. Unless it's Brutus The Fucking Barber Beefcake, obviously. 

And Ronda used to complain about nagging knee injuries from her judo days, and I think she had a knee surgery not that long back, so that could be an issue if she doesn't know what she's doing. She should be fine if it's a one off or whatever but still. 

Edited by wandshogun09

Was Rousey undefeated when she was at Mania?  I know it shouldn't matter with decent booking but she has had her arse handed to her twice and doesn't look like she is going back to proper fighting.  She doesn't have that real life aura of a badass anymore.  Personally I couldn't give a shit about seeing her in WWE.

Brock had his arse served to him in a far more awful way than Ronda (the running and gambolling away in fear lives long in the memory) and it didn’t hurt him. Her real life aura of a badass still has more ticks than anyone they have. A few videos of her killing bitches and everyone showing arse for her and she’ll be fine.

I think the women’s division is crying out for some real world name value. Particularly if they’re keen on continuing to push it as even with the men. One of the way they’ve made wrestling feel big time in the past is bringing in big names for Mania season, seems fitting that it’s for the Women now.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz