Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Supremo said:

I’ve not given it much thought, but how many second generation guys end up as good or better than their dads? Rock? Orton? The shitness of Ted Debiase Jr and Curtis Axel definitely pull the average down.

The ones that come to mind are:

The Rock
Randy Orton
Bret Hart
John Cena (cheating, I know, because he's basically "reverse second generation")

I'm not sure if Bray Wyatt is better than his dad, and having not seen the Usos for a long time, I couldn't tell you if they were better than Rikishi.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Supremo said:

I’ve not given it much thought, but how many second generation guys end up as good or better than their dads? Rock? Orton? The shitness of Ted Debiase Jr and Curtis Axel definitely pull the average down.

DiBiase and Axel are third generation so maybe there's a third gen curse or something. Maybe talent only passes down to the second generation and skips the third. Although The Rock would be the exception to that. 

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, Supremo said:

There's a fair few old-timers where there's not enough footage out there to make the assessment (Joe Blanchard, Mike Dibiase, Gory Guerrero, Warren Bockwinkel, Dory Funk Sr., Stu Hart, Boris Malenko, Paul Morton, and so on), but where I'd assume their more famous children were probably superior.

I'd say El Hijo Del Santo was a far better and more versatile worker than El Santo was, Jeff Jarrett was better than Jerry, Randy Savage better than Angelo Poffo, Jake Roberts better than Grizzly Smith, a couple of the Von Erich kids were probably better than Fritz.

That's all going pretty far back, though, it's hard to think of any of the kids of that generation that were better than their parents aside from Rock and Orton...an argument could be made for Paige. Maybe Andrade Almas, as his dad and granddad seem to be relative non-entities, as far as I can tell.

2 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

DiBiase and Axel are third generation so maybe there's a third gen curse or something. Maybe talent only passes down to the second generation and skips the third. Although The Rock would be the exception to that. 

Maybe The Rock's exempt because one generation is on his mother's side. Perhaps shitness is passed down on the father's side.

Mark Rocco is allegedly a fourth generation wrestler, which is pretty mental considering the time period he was competing in, and that there are only a handful of other fourth generation wrestlers now that I can think of - one of the Rougeaus, and Dave Finlay Jr are the only two that come to mind, though I assume there must be one or two in Lucha, at least.

Edited by BomberPat

6 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Mark Rocco is allegedly a fourth generation wrestler, which is pretty mental considering the time period he was competing in, and that there are only a handful of other fourth generation wrestlers now that I can think of - one of the Rougeaus, and Dave Finlay Jr are the only two that come to mind, though I assume there must be one or two in Lucha, at least.

Isn't Shane O'Mac fourth generation too? Or would he not count as his family tree is more promoters than actual wrestlers?

• Paid Members

Usos are an odd one. Second generation via Rikishi, who was a nephew of Afa and Sika. So Rikishi's the second generation in his family, but not through his parents, so depends on if we're counting that.

Randy Orton's third gen - Bob Orton > Bob Orton Jr. > Randy Orton

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

I'm not sure if Bray Wyatt is better than his dad, 

Good shout, the IRS character was completely jenk as a single, but worked perfectly as a team with the million dolllar man. I wish it had happened a few years later and could have built on the reason for the friendship (corruption) etc. 

Bray has far more charisma but the character has run its course as is stated regularly, needs a revamp. 

I personally think Mike was a much better wrestler. Probably under appreciated due to the shitness of his gimmicks.

Edited by Kaz Hayashi