Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

• Paid Members

Sky Sports are separating out to cheaper standalone channels. You will be able to get a Football channel (similar to what they do with F1) for £18. WWE has been grouped with Rugby and Tennis. Wonder if that'll be any cheaper. 

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/jun/27/sky-sports-channels-prices-football-golf-cricket

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/sky-sports-revamp-football-tv-10700561

• Paid Members

Interesting. I wonder, with the network and all, how many will opt not to bother with SS Arena? WWE and Tennis doesn't share a similar demographic.  

As little knowledge/interest as I have in current day WWE, I could never justify subscribing to anything but the footie channels tbh. I get all the (classic) wrestling I could ever watch from the Network and Impact on free tv.

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members

Tremendous news. I only keep Sky Sports for the football and Raw/Smackdown, and to be honest I can fuck the latter off (considering I fast forward all of it) and just watch those abridged versions on YouTube instead.

• Paid Members

I'm the same, that's all I kept it for, and never considered not having it due to wanting to watch Raw/Smackdown, but I sacked it off a little while ago as I'm content to watch Raw and Smackdown on Daily Motion/Youtube now in full and then watch the PPV's on the Network. I might have to consider getting Sky Sports again for the start of the Premier League season, but it's harder to justify now with BT having quite a bit of the football as well.

Edited by WeeAl

• Paid Members

That's a good point. I've never got BT because I can't justify spending ANOTHER tenner (is it still £10?) on TV subs. However, if the cheapest Sky Sports package will be £18 (and let's say that's for the football), why on earth am I going to pay for that over a £10 sub that includes Champions League and Europa, which Sky don't have? For the odd game on Sky I want to watch, I might as well stream the fucker. It's extortionate.

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, PunkStep said:

That's a good point. I've never got BT because I can't justify spending ANOTHER tenner (is it still £10?) on TV subs. However, if the cheapest Sky Sports package will be £18 (and let's say that's for the football), why on earth am I going to pay for that over a £10 sub that includes Champions League and Europa, which Sky don't have? For the odd game on Sky I want to watch, I might as well stream the fucker. It's extortionate.

Or just grab a Now TV day pass, assuming they'll still be available with this new set up. 

• Paid Members

Everything I've read so far says that the cheapest package will be £18. There's no way that's going to be the football package (2 channels). Sky will fuck football fans over on this. Those channels alone will likely be only marginally cheaper than the current full Sports package.

Edited by Arch Stanton

They've added something like 10,000 subscribers this year compared to 50,000 for same period last year. They are getting spanked by Kodi and general illegal online streaming of football, which unlike previous card sharing and chipped box piracy in the past, is far more widespread and very hard to police. They need to lower the price significantly to entice people into the habit of paying for subs, or risk losing a whole generation of younger subscribers altogether.