Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

• Paid Members

Yeah, I'm not a fan. Far prefer Phillips.

Ranallo, McGuinness & Watson sounds like the most annoying announce team you could assemble without using Matt Striker.

Edit: That said, as someone who has had a few recent mental health struggles, it's  nice to see that WWE have accommodated Mauro's by coming to an agreement on modified duties for him. Whether his issues were really about one individual or not, you'd think not being on the road and working less frequently will help him greatly. The cynic in me also says "another nice little bit of Triple H PR", but still...

Edited by Statto
Added niceties.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, big7thletter said:

Did no-one else hate the sound of Mauro Ronallo's voice? It really grated on me. I was glad to see him go.

I'm not a fan either. I'm pleased for him that it has worked out in the end for him to be able to go back to work for WWE, but I'd be lying if I said I liked listening to his commentary. Nigel McGuinness is terrible too, so I'm kind of glad I only watch the TakeOver shows and not weekly NXT.

• Paid Members

I like Mauro as an announcer. I don't mind Tom Phillips, but he is a bit too much like Cole- which is understandable given that he's his protege. You hear the same bizarre lines from him that you only ever normally hear from Cole. "We invite you..." "For the win/championship!".

Be good to hear him develop his own style, or at least his own twist on Cole's announcing style.

Daniel Bryan had more natural enthusiasm than Nigel I think. Nigel is pretty weak, his colour work is not particularly entertaining and he really struggles with his wording a lot of the time, I don't know if it's nerves or what as he seemed better when I heard his commentary in ROH. Saying "this guy could really make a name for himself here in Ring Of Honor" on Aleister Black's debut was pretty unforgivable

Felt like it was Phillips holding the NXT team together currently, so hopefully Mauro can tap into what made him good in the CWC rather than out of place like on Smackdown. He needs to drop the gratuitous pop culture references and "MOMMA MIA" either way though.

I don't mind Nigel as part of a 2 man booth. Thought he was good with both JR and Cole when actually calling the matches. He needs to stop telling me how all the Brummie lads had rough childhoods and that Wolfgang works in a pub though. Percy Watson seems to solely exist to make David Otunga sound like Bobby Heenan by comparison.

Super happy to have Mauro back, ditch Watson and we'll be golden.

• Paid Members
41 minutes ago, sj5522 said:

Daniel Bryan had more natural enthusiasm than Nigel I think.

I found Daniel unbearable on CWC. He just seemed to be constantly talking loudly in this faux-amazed voice, and just grated on me. Just sounded forced and anything but natural.

Axel Dieter Jr was excellent in PROGRESS, great look to him too. Bit disappointed his tag partner WALTER didn't join him, seeing as NXT needs tag teams

Whilst on the topic of announcers, has anyone else noticed that quite often Michael Cole seems to sound like he's talking whilst covering his microphone with his hand as if to give a more clearer, edgier sounding commentary lately? It bugs the fuck out of me. You can hear him talking as normal, and quite often in a big match he will sound quite distorted like he's trying to add his own dramatic sound effects. Stands out like a sort cock though.

23 hours ago, FelatioLips said:

my mate text me saying they're apparently bringing Punjabi Prison back.

23 hours ago, Abe Mikkel said:

Probably true considering who current WWE Champion is

If the story's a hoax then that'll obviously be what inspired it, so I wouldn't say it adds credibility either way.