Documentary Thread #2

Egg Shen

I actually wrote an academic paper on longform documentaries on Netflix and came up with a fancy bit of jargon (that no one has adopted yet) for it - narrative prorogation. In theory they're trying to build the world around the story as much as tell you the story (ie. Making a Murderer spending time with the family, trying to understand their place in the world, unpack their various traumas) in order to create that deep engagement that drives major longform narratives like Game of Thrones etc., problem is when they don't 'pay off' ie Lost then they create a wave of negative energy toward associated productions.

It's like Michael Scott telling the office how he quit his job. 

Michael Scott: I had no idea when I got into that car to go to New York that I was going to be quitting. I got on the ramp, and I was like, "Two hours, two hours to go. Feelin' good. Crank some tunes. Should have peed before I left."
Kelly: Michael, get to the good part.
Michael Scott: So, I get up to the building. Revolving door broken. So I have to take the normal door.
Kelly: Oh, my God.
Oscar: At least he's in the building.
Michael Scott: No. No, I was so nervous, it was the wrong building. I had walked into the wrong building.

• Paid Members

Saw Trainwreck Woodstock '99 last night on Netflix. I knew the broad strokes of what had happened from back in the day but it has a fascinating amount of footage and access.

Came away suitably depressed after it, seeing as this was my generation of metal fan but the organisation of the event was clearly reprehensible which I wasn't so aware of.

A lot of these 3 part Netflix docs have been pretty poor. Dragging out a solid film into a boring series but I found this one very engaging all the way through.

Yesterday I watched the new Woodstock documentary and the most hated man on the internet documentary.

Wow the second one I have never been more gripped and hopeful that someone get a comeuppance than that prick from isanyoneup.com

That Woodstock 99 doc was decent. A classic fuck up, and a perfect cocktail for that to go right off.

What a fucking cunt that promoter guy was but especially at the end. Trying to use the comparison of "well rapes happen in large cities too" (paraphrasing) was real Father Ted when hes talking about paedophile priests being "only" 10% and that "only" being 5 million. 

I'll be honest, I'd have burned the place down if I'd had to watch the Chilli Peppers as well.

Edited by SuperBacon

• Paid Members

I'm sure there was another documentary about Woodstock recently that mentioned the 3 deaths (none in suspicious circumstances) and that there was a LOT more sexual assaults than they mentioned in this one. Not sure if it was brushed over because they managed to get the organisers involved but it was a proper shit show of an event. They essentially managed to host a frat party for 250,000 people. Just a failure at every level. 

Thought the Netflix Woodstock '99 doc was decent enough, but not without its issues. 

For example, one of the talking heads discussing the culture of toxic masculinity going into the festival how Fight Club was a big movie at the time. Not only was Fight Club not a massive success at the time and only really found its cult following years later on DVD, but it was released three months after the festival. 

Did find it funny how the totally blameless promoters spent a good while piling in on Fred Durst for riling up the crowd. Yeah, it's his fault for being a showman in front of the biggest crowd he'll ever play for, not yours for rinsing people out of money and failing to install basic infrastructure or anything like that. Not even trying to stick up for Fred Durst, as he's clearly a wanker, but come on now...

There was lots of interesting footage and some unique perspective from people who were there or performed, though. I'd always heard it was a shitshow but didn't realise just how crazy things got by the end. 

• Paid Members
On 8/6/2022 at 3:29 PM, WyattSheepMask said:

How does this Netflix one compare to the HBO* doc from last year? More of the same? Or companion piece?

* I’m assuming that’s the one you mean @chokeout?

Companion piece. There’s a lot of crossover from what I remember, although the  HBO one used a lot more footage from people at the event, rather than the Netflix one using (what I’m assuming was rushes from) MTV. Which explains why the Miz pops up in the very first shot. 

The HBO one had a bit more balance and doesn’t ignore the acts they could get clearance for. Mentioning that Korn riled the crowd up but no mention that ICP, Megadeth or Metallica had similar crowds. In fact I think the guy that died happened during Metallica in the pit. I mean Rage Against the Machine followed Limp Bizkit, they even use their song in the Netflix doc but never mention they were there which is very odd. 

• Paid Members
On 8/1/2022 at 11:28 AM, wordsfromlee said:

Netflix, stop stretching out 90 minute documentaries into 3+ hours. There’s really no need. 

That was my problem with the DB Cooper one, too - it's very clear very early one that, given the entire appeal of the D.B. Cooper case is that we don't know who he was or anything about him, there's no fucking content there. The BBC/HBO one that you posted is much better at dealing with that. I generally get a bit shirty about any documentary that makes "investigators" or people perfunctorily involved in the case the focal point, because it's usually a sign that they haven't got much else to work with. There was a BBC Storyville one on historic child abuse in Jersey that gave way too much time and importance to some "civilian journalist" types that are just local nutters with a blog,

The only Netflix documentaries that nailed the serial format were Tiger King and The Devil Next Door, because up until the last couple of episodes they both managed to start with the sense of "there's no way they can drag a full series out of this", and then just madder and madder revelations at the end of each episode. The Son of Sam one came close but then fucked the landing by wanting to have it both ways, of indulging all the speculation and titillation, and then trying to take a stand against it at the end.

Last week I went to see Fire Of Love, and while I didn't get on with every bit of the presentation of it, it's a documentary well worth seeing in the cinema if you get the chance. It's about a couple of volcanologists, so obviously there's some absolutely stunning visuals. Werner Herzog has a documentary coming out about them too, and I'm looking forward to seeing his take on it, because there's a lot of his usual themes of Man vs. Nature, and of doing mad shit in pursuit of knowledge. Really worth seeing, it's a fascinating story, and a beautiful looking film.

11 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Werner Herzog has a documentary coming out about them too, and I'm looking forward to seeing his take on it, because there's a lot of his usual themes of Man vs. Nature, and of doing mad shit in pursuit of knowledge

I take it you’ve seen Into The Inferno?

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I take it you’ve seen Into The Inferno?

I have, yeah, though my main memory of it was it doing a typical Herzog thing of pivoting to a completely different subject for a while (North Korea, in this case). I love him, but there's something of the "bunch of snaps of the dog at the end of the holiday roll of film" about some of his documentaries.

5 hours ago, BomberPat said:

I generally get a bit shirty about any documentary that makes "investigators" or people perfunctorily involved in the case the focal point, because it's usually a sign that they haven't got much else to work with. There was a BBC Storyville one on historic child abuse in Jersey that gave way too much time and importance to some "civilian journalist" types that are just local nutters with a blog,

This has become more popular ever since "Don't Fuck With Cats". The big difference between that one and most others though is ...

Spoiler

... the civilian investigators actually solved the case and caught the guy.

Edited by dopper