Documentary Thread #2

Egg Shen

6 hours ago, theringmaster said:

I kinda have a morbid interest in Qanon atm, watching short little YouTube videos about the absoluteĀ bonkers of it all.

Ā 

Anybody have good docs to recommend?

I havenā€™t got round to watching it yet but thereā€™s a HBO docu-series called Q: Into The Storm thats supposed to be good.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I watchedĀ You Don't NomiĀ on Amazon Prime (Ā£1.99) the other night, which is all about the movieĀ Showgirls. It's really fun, and a better movie thanĀ Showgirls. It part covers the reception the film received, but also goes into a defence of it, along with how it's been rediscovered and embraced as a camp classic.Ā  It's a really easy watch, and makes some fun points throughout as well (while revelling in the terrible dialogue).Ā  You do end up feeling for Elizabeth Berkley, though, whose career was absolutely destroyed in a way that wasn't really her fault - she absolutely went for it, but the problems aren't really down to her performance (as over the top as it is).

• Paid Members

The Painter and the ThiefĀ is doing the round on Sky Arts. One of those documentaries that might not sound like your sort of thing but goes in a direction that's surprising and really lovely.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
On 2/10/2021 at 12:38 AM, Hannibal Scorch said:

I just watched In and Of Itself that a friend sent me a copy of. It is absolutely spellbinding. I have never seen anything quite like it. I knew nothing going into it, so I advise you to do the same. It is a recording of a one man show from New York. That's all you need to know.

Thanks for recommending this @Hannibal Scorch. Watched it a fewĀ nights ago and it creeps back into my mind every so often. Good watch, worth looking up.

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, choccygirl said:

Thanks for recommending this @Hannibal Scorch. Watched it a fewĀ nights ago and it creeps back into my mind every so often. Good watch, worth looking up.

Glad you enjoyed. Iā€™m shocked it still doesnā€™t seem to have a UK release lined up.

The Truffle Hunters

I wasn't expecting my favourite film of the year so far to be about old men and their dogs that look for truffles, but there we are. Life is full of surprises. Wonderfully warm and heartening.

Some Kind Of MonsterĀ 

I have zero interest in Metallica, but this is an incredible watch. I really wished it was longer to be honest.

• Paid Members

The Edgar Wright directed Sparks documentary is really good.

It's brilliance is in how it covers all 25 albums and manages to hold the interest. It only dwells if there is a story of interest there, if not they're on to the next one pretty quick. It also acknowledges all the misteps - Balls pleasingly gets the piss taken out of it by Russell.

Very funny too which is what a Sparks documentary should be.

If you're a fan of the band I can't see how you'll be disappointed with it. I assume it is funny enough for folk who aren't too.

Ā