Documentary Thread #2

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

There is no shame in admitting you like it. It’s album of the year. 

It's not a shameful thing. I listen to some right embarrassing dross, so this is a step up. I didn't really bother listening to Swift in that typical "I'm too old for this" fashion. But we've had it on in the car a couple of times, and she'll listen to it on her Amazon Echo. Once she got it I read up on the making of it and was amazed she did it in the way she did, hence being excited for this making of/concert.

Is the Netflix documentary good, and is it kid friendly? 

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

This is so fucking good. https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000nwrq/storyville-pepe-the-frog-feels-good-man

Matt Furie seems like a good soul, and the story of how Pepe was hijacked and 4chan and all that, is wild.

Storyville always has great documentaries under its banner and this is no exception. Just seen The Two Escobars is on there as well, and everyone should watch that.

2 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

There is no shame in admitting you like it. It’s album of the year. 

Album of any year. It's a cracker. Shame it bought out the creepy boring Bon Iver type fans to 'Actually-she's-quite-good-isn't-she' in that faux snarky passive aggressive manner, but that's not her fault. Or his I suppose.

Finally got round to watching the Everton documentary Howard's Way as I'd recorded it off Sky on Sunday, fantastic bit of work about the club's golden period in the mid 80s and highly recommended to any football fan. There were a few laughs hearing some of the stories from behind the scenes during that time and archived footage of Freddie Starr waking the squad up to entertain them in the hotel courtyard on the morning of the 1984 final. Hits you with a proper gut punch at the end though talking about the day Howard Kendall passed away in 2015 and showing footage from his funeral

The Mystery of D.B. Cooper (2020, HBO)

For anyone unaware, D.B. Cooper was the name of a man who hijacked a commercial Boeing 727 flight back in 1971, demanded a $200,000 ransom and then parachuted from the plane never to be seen again.  It remains the only unsolved hijacking in U.S. history.  The documentary details the events of the hijacking interspersed with interviews from family members and friends of people who believe they know who Cooper was (concentrating on four specific suspects).  There are no ground breaking developments here, we don't get a definitive answer of who Cooper was but it's a decent watch of a fascinating story, one that has gripped folk in the US for nigh on fifty years.  FWIW, Richard McCoy is my prime suspect.

5 minutes ago, Magnum Milano said:

The Mystery of D.B. Cooper (2020, HBO)

For anyone unaware, D.B. Cooper was the name of a man who hijacked a commercial Boeing 727 flight back in 1971, demanded a $200,000 ransom and then parachuted from the plane never to be seen again.  It remains the only unsolved hijacking in U.S. history.  The documentary details the events of the hijacking interspersed with interviews from family members and friends of people who believe they know who Cooper was (concentrating on four specific suspects).  There are no ground breaking developments here, we don't get a definitive answer of who Cooper was but it's a decent watch of a fascinating story, one that has gripped folk in the US for nigh on fifty years.  FWIW, Richard McCoy is my prime suspect.

Also on iplayer. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

The Ripper (Netflix)

I've become tired of Netflix's crime docs but this was less flashy and making less of an effort to ape The Imposter than their usual stuff. Focuses a lot more on how awful the police were during the hunt for Peter Sutcliffe and that any of them chose to take part in this shows some nerve. Really well put together and a bit more sensitive than I was expecting.

• Paid Members
52 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

The Ripper (Netflix)

I've become tired of Netflix's crime docs but this was less flashy and making less of an effort to ape The Imposter than their usual stuff. Focuses a lot more on how awful the police were during the hunt for Peter Sutcliffe and that any of them chose to take part in this shows some nerve. Really well put together and a bit more sensitive than I was expecting.

I was surprised at how unaware of their incompetence they were. Saying that it was better than expected, it was alarming the tone and way they talked about the "prostitues".

Edited by ElCece

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, Chris B said:

If you haven't seen the Sutcliffe documentary on iPlayer, it's superb. The focus on women and police incompetence is really well done.

Echoing this, it's fantastic. The Netflix one (obviously I guess) covers the same ground and mostly the same interviewees, mostly leaving big Pete out of it like the BBC did, to the point I even checked to see if it was a retitled re-edit. But where Netflix's really falls down is the unnecessary zooming and cropping of all that gorgeously grim period footage. The BBC version, leaving it all in its native 4:3, has some of the best and most evocative 70's local news footage I've ever seen, which Netflix ruins by artificially letterboxing to the point you can only see about a third of it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Dead Man's Line (Prime)

Riveting story of a bloke who held a man hostage over a couple of days in Indianapolis back in 1977. If you don't know the story of Tony Kiritsis, I would highly recommend you don't read a thing about him before watching this. Superbly made, can't believe they've never done a film about this.

• Paid Members
21 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Dead Man's Line (Prime)

Tony Kiritsis

Watched this late last night after you mentioned it, really interesting story. I thought Tony was hilarious, not sure if that's what I was supposed to get from it but he was like a cartoon character.

Spoiler

Everything playing out so weirdly in public on radio and tv was crazy, it was like something out of a 70s film. 

On 1/10/2021 at 6:57 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

Dead Man's Line (Prime)

Riveting story of a bloke who held a man hostage over a couple of days in Indianapolis back in 1977. If you don't know the story of Tony Kiritsis, I would highly recommend you don't read a thing about him before watching this. Superbly made, can't believe they've never done a film about this.

Just watched this. Went in totally blind as recommended and thought it was such an interesting angle regarding the role of rolling news in developing situations. The guys comments over the credits were bang on. 

• Paid Members

I watched Evil Genius (Netflix) about the 2003 bank heist and consequent death of Brian Wells in Eerie, Indiana at the weekend. 

I'd never heard of this particular case so I wasn't prepared for the shock of the opening 20 minutes which is probably why I'm still confused about what to make of it all. I think the approach that the director took in terms of assembling and presenting the known/unknown facts was pretty unusual and annoyingly made me really invest in it. Really fascinating, if disturbing case but given the question marks that still exist, I think it did a reasonably good job of providing information for the viewer to draw their own conclusions. Might be old news on here but I thought it was pretty decent overall.