Documentary Thread #2

Egg Shen

Just now, wordsfromlee said:

Wouldn’t it have been better to actually write what you thought of the documentary rather than the entire plot of the show in quite some detail?

Considering I read about the documentary in this very thread, where it has already been talked about plenty, I didn't think it would be that much of an issue.

I'll delete the post (which also contains my thoughts) just for you.

15 minutes ago, Magnum Milano said:

Considering I read about the documentary in this very thread, where it has already been talked about plenty, I didn't think it would be that much of an issue.

I'll delete the post (which also contains my thoughts) just for you.

That was kind of the point I was making. I’d much rather read your opinions and thoughts on it which was only one line at the end rather than the entire plot which I could do on Wikipedia or something. 

There was no need to delete it. I was just asking to hear more of your take on it rather than your plot synopsis. 

• 2 weeks later...

I watched Lost Soul: The Doomed Journey of Richard Stanley's Island of Dr. Moreau (2014) last night (available with Prime). 

It's not the most polished documentary out there but it's really interesting because they have some incredible behind-the-scenes footage and the story itself is just batshit insane. 

Most of the main (living) players are interviewed and it's a really easy 90 or so minutes to get through. I'd read about the production problems for years but had no idea just how far out of control things had gotten and there's some great insight as to why here. 

I felt quite bad for Stanley at the end, even though he wasn't entirely innocent and clearly in over his head with the size of the film and the egos attached. 

It made me want to re-watch Hardware and finally get watching Dust Devil, so hey ho. 

Has anyone seen his latest - Color Out of Space - by any chance? 

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, SaitoRyo said:

It's really good until Stanley lets Cage do his usual schtick in the final third. I hated Dust Devil and Hardware though, so it was a huge improvement on those.

17 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

It's really good until Stanley lets Cage do his usual schtick in the final third. I hated Dust Devil and Hardware though, so it was a huge improvement on those.

I haven't seen Hardware for years and years. I remember being fascinated by it due to pictures I saw of it in Fear magazine when I was young. 

Shame about Color Out of Space, but you always run that risk when you employ the great Nic Cage, I suppose. 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, SaitoRyo said:

Shame about Color Out of Space, but you always run that risk when you employ the great Nic Cage, I suppose. 

It's still worth seeing, the first two-thirds are great and the cast, including Cage, are really good until Stanley lets him off the lead.

• Paid Members
53 minutes ago, SaitoRyo said:

I watched Lost Soul: The Doomed Journey of Richard Stanley's Island of Dr. Moreau (2014) last night (available with Prime). 

It's not the most polished documentary out there but it's really interesting because they have some incredible behind-the-scenes footage and the story itself is just batshit insane. 

Most of the main (living) players are interviewed and it's a really easy 90 or so minutes to get through. I'd read about the production problems for years but had no idea just how far out of control things had gotten and there's some great insight as to why here. 

I felt quite bad for Stanley at the end, even though he wasn't entirely innocent and clearly in over his head with the size of the film and the egos attached. 

It made me want to re-watch Hardware and finally get watching Dust Devil, so hey ho. 

I met Richard Stanley at a little film fest I helped the owners with that had a 35mm print of Hardware showing and Stanley in attendance. He's the single strangest bloke I've ever met in my life. He signed a poster for me(that I had a hand in creating) and my first name is spelt "Kriss", so when he signed the dedication to me, he wrote the double S like the symbol for the "SS" and sat laughing to himself about it for about an hour afterwards...

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Cod Eye said:

my first name is spelt "Kriss", so when he signed the dedication to me, he wrote the double S like the symbol for the "SS" and sat laughing to himself about it for about an hour afterwards...

I'm going to guess that - hopefully - he meant this as a reference to KISS.

I love Lost Soul, though. It just piles madness on madness on madness, most of it from Stanley. Every "making of" documentary has its stories about how the weather or egos or some unforeseen circumstance made the movie so difficult to make and it almost didn't happen, but this is the only one that has, "I paid a sorcerer to magically protect the film, but then all his bones melted".

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I'm going to guess that - hopefully - he meant this as a reference to KISS.

I love Lost Soul, though. It just piles madness on madness on madness, most of it from Stanley. Every "making of" documentary has its stories about how the weather or egos or some unforeseen circumstance made the movie so difficult to make and it almost didn't happen, but this is the only one that has, "I paid a sorcerer to magically protect the film, but then all his bones melted".

Nope, he meant the "SS" as in the Schutzstaffel. Did the "comedy" german accent while explaining it and everything! He did it because my mate and I have a bit of a joke where I have to spell my name out for everyone(obviously, as it's a fucking strange spelling!), and if he's there he will always say "don't forget the SS, he's very touchy if you miss the SS", and it tickled him that he wrote it like the "SS" logo.

• Paid Members

I did see a bit of controversy around there being a white supremacist/nazi band on the soundtrack for Color Out Of Space as well. Also, one of his documentaries is about nazis. And Color out of Space is an adaptation of work by a noted racist...

(Ah, cherry-picking is fun)

The documentary is great. Also hilarious - the stuff with Marco Hofschneider talking about how poorly treated he was by the rest of the cast just keeps getting funnier.

• Paid Members
56 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

@Loki can you confirm that your mate Richard Stanley isn't a Nazi, thanks.

Note to any lawyers:

I have not said he is a "Nazi", just that the end of my name was written in the style of the "SS" logo for comedic effect! 

edit: I found the poster out. The SS isn't as prominent as I remember, but still there...

20200916_132017.thumb.jpg.1e7ac3d0d68de0773feb4e3a5ea8e152.jpg20200916_132003.thumb.jpg.13a9622e47d07a7a59e21d51d76d35e0.jpg20200916_132017.thumb.jpg.1e7ac3d0d68de0773feb4e3a5ea8e152.jpg

Edited by Cod Eye