Documentary Thread #2

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, CTXRussomark said:

Oh that looks excellent! I've been fascinated by Action Park for years and had no idea this was being made.

It looks like it'll be on Sky Documentaries soon if not already.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2020-08-27/class-action-park-how-to-watch-hbo-documentary/amp/

Just reading about it. The place seems crazy. I'm very suprised I hadn't heard about it before.

Edited by BigJag

• Awards Moderator

You Cannot Kill David Arquette (2020)

Bloody hell. The story of him getting back into wrestling in spite of nobody giving him the time of day. 

He’s an absolute barmpot but throughout the whole thing you can't help but get behind him. You get snippets of the usual hygiene-avoiding wrestling fans having a pop, but this is a really good watch.

Some worrying moments and a downright terrifying one, but overall it’s sound to see him do what he has a passion for. Recommended.

Edited by Frankie Crisp

• Awards Moderator
6 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

where did you watch that?

Also @johnnyboy i came across Defunctland whilst looking for the Class Action Park trailer, looks like a quality channel.

Watched it here. Not sure if it was my device or the link, but I had to stick the volume right up to hear it.

2 hours ago, Frankie Crisp said:

Watched it here. Not sure if it was my device or the link, but I had to stick the volume right up to hear it.

Thanks for that. Just watched it and thought it was an enjoyable watch. Some obvious bullshit in there and it felt a bit all over the place in terms of narrative but Arquette just seems like a genuinely nice guy and you can't help but be happy for him actually getting to live his dream for a short while. What's he up to thesedays? Has he packed it in?

A couple more these past two days:

Fantastic Lies (2016) (ESPN 30 For 30 - Season 3 Episode 7)

The Duke University Lacrosse team hire a couple of strippers for a house party they’re having which results in disastrous consequences for all involved.  One of the strippers, Crystal Mangum, claims to have been raped by three of the team and what follows is trial by media, everyone assuming their guilt.  D.A. Mike Nifong takes on the case, he himself having ulterior motives as he is up for re-election in the heavily populated African-American area, which is portrayed as these privileged, educated white boys vs. the poor, black girl, who they see as beneath them. 

Despite the ‘rape’ there is no DNA evidence and it becomes apparent that something is amiss.  Between Nifong and a corrupt policeman, Mark Gottlieb, it goes to trial, where the defence team make mince meat of the accusations.  Ultimately the three are completely exonerated, although they and the rest of the team have this hanging over them the rest of their lives.  Nifong was debarred and spent a day in jail for his conduct in the case, Gottlieb committed suicide in 2014 and Mangum is currently serving 18 years for killing a boyfriend.

I had never heard of this story before and although a lot of the main protagonists involved declined to be interviewed, I thought this was another in the series of excellent 30 for 30 documentaries.

Class Action Park (2020)

I would never have known about this if it wasn't for @Egg Shen's post looking for a copy.  The documentary traces the history of Action Park, based in Vernon, NC, which was the brainchild of Gene Mulvihill.  It was without question of its time, primarily a water park marketed on anything goes and a place where there are no rules, there is not a chance it would pass any of the health and safety measures if it was opening in 2020.  The rides were created out of Gene’s mind or by designers who had been turned away by the likes of Disney World.  And its safe to say every one of them was an accident waiting to happen.  Numerous people would get injured on a daily basis, and the injuries were seen almost as a badge of honour, and then there was a fatality.  It’s all a bit jokey until you here from Esther Larsson, the mother of Gary, the first person to die at the Park.  Mulvihill, who had some shady practices to say the least, even tried to cover that up by lying about the details.  Other deaths followed (two drownings and an electrocution) and as times changes, the “World’s Most Dangerous Water Park” shut up shop for good in 1996.  Comedian Chris Gethard, one of the talking heads, is especially annoying.

• Paid Members
20 hours ago, Frankie Crisp said:

You Cannot Kill David Arquette (2020)

Bloody hell. The story of him getting back into wrestling in spite of nobody giving him the time of day. 

He’s an absolute barmpot but throughout the whole thing you can't help but get behind him. You get snippets of the usual hygiene-avoiding wrestling fans having a pop, but this is a really good watch.

Some worrying moments and a downright terrifying one, but overall it’s sound to see him do what he has a passion for. Recommended.

saw the trailer the other day, didnt know it was out already. I'll track it down.

• Awards Moderator
2 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

saw the trailer the other day, didnt know it was out already. I'll track it down.

There’s a link to it in my subsequent reply!

I watched Liverpool FC: The 30-Year Wait on the iPlayer just now. I know they’re everyone’s second team on here so expect a lot of you will already have seen it, but it’s a really good watch. Tells the story of their dominance in the 70s and 80s, then how things unfolded for the club, players and managers since their last title win. Very likeable club and fan-base so I enjoyed it.

Warning: Michael Owen pops up a fair bit.

2 minutes ago, Frankie Crisp said:

There’s a link to it in my subsequent reply!

I watched Liverpool FC: The 30-Year Wait on the iPlayer just now. I know they’re everyone’s second team on here so expect a lot of you will already have seen it, but it’s a really good watch. Tells the story of their dominance in the 70s and 80s, then how things unfolded for the club, players and managers since their last title win. Very likeable club and fan-base so I enjoyed it.

Warning: Michael Owen pops up a fair bit.

I quite enjoyed it, but that's such a well worn story that most people know.

You got not even 10 minutes on Klopp and this season. That was the real interest, the former especially.

23 hours ago, Magnum Milano said:

Class Action Park (2020)

I would never have known about this if it wasn't for @Egg Shen's post looking for a copy.  The documentary traces the history of Action Park, based in Vernon, NC, which was the brainchild of Gene Mulvihill.  It was without question of its time, primarily a water park marketed on anything goes and a place where there are no rules, there is not a chance it would pass any of the health and safety measures if it was opening in 2020.  The rides were created out of Gene’s mind or by designers who had been turned away by the likes of Disney World.  And its safe to say every one of them was an accident waiting to happen.  Numerous people would get injured on a daily basis, and the injuries were seen almost as a badge of honour, and then there was a fatality.  It’s all a bit jokey until you here from Esther Larsson, the mother of Gary, the first person to die at the Park.  Mulvihill, who had some shady practices to say the least, even tried to cover that up by lying about the details.  Other deaths followed (two drownings and an electrocution) and as times changes, the “World’s Most Dangerous Water Park” shut up shop for good in 1996.  Comedian Chris Gethard, one of the talking heads, is especially annoying.

Johnny knoxville made a jackass stunt style film which was a biopic on action park. it was funny and knoxville walked out with some major serious injuries but the park was a nightmare/accident waiting to happen and often it did. I'm downloading this one to watch tonight i expect it to be fascinating 

Icarus (2017)

Amateur cyclist Bryan Fogel sets out to prove how inefficient the current system to test athletes for the use of performance enhancing drugs is.  A contact puts him in touch with the Director of the Russian National Anti-Doping Laboratory, Grigory Rodchenko, who agrees to help and advise him on how to basically beat the system.  Ultimately Fogel dopes for six months, although ends up doing worse in the race (the Haute Route) than when he was clean, however in the run up to the race a German documentary airs that talks about reports of Russian state sponsored doping.  Things escalate and due to his position, Rodchenko is implicated and fears for his life.  Fears that are compounded when, having already left for the U.S., Nikita Kamaev, the head of Russia’s Anti-Doping authority, suddenly dies of a ‘heart attack’.  Thinking it’s better to come clean, Rodchenko divulges everything to the New York Times and the IOC, explaining that there is state sponsored doping that goes all the way up to Putin and his evidence (including all sorts of documents) and WADA’s further investigation leads to Russia’s Olympic ban.  Russia continues to deny these reports while Rodchenko remains in U.S. protective custody, officials believing there is a credible threat to his life.

Of all the Government's, outside of North Korea, Russia is the other that would be top of my list to not want to cross!

Knuckleball! (2012)

The knuckleball is seen as a gimmick delivery, a fluke, a delivery where, due to the grip, you don’t know what it’s going to do from one pitch to the next.  It also doesn’t appear to be trusted by coaches and no-one goes in wanting to be a “knuckleballer”, it’s something you turn when it looks like your career is over to prolong it.  There haven’t been many knuckleballers and as a result there’s a close fraternity of those who made a career out of it, the previous generations happy to pass on tips to the next.  The documentary primarily concentrates on the careers of the only knuckleball pitchers currently in MLB, Tim Wakefield and R.A. Dickey, although we hear plenty from former practitioners like Phil Niekro (who pitched until the age of 48 - the slower knuckleball puts less stress on the shoulder) and Charlie Hough.  Wakefield is trying to reach the 200 wins career milestone, which he eventually does, but it was clearly a weight around his neck.  With his subsequent retirement at the end of the season it is left to Dickey to carry the baton on. 

I think they wrung every drop out of the knuckleball as possible.  I don't have an interest in Baseball but the 30 for 30 documentaries have shown even when it's sports I couldn't care about, more often than not I enjoy the stories that are being told.  That said this was probably thirty minutes too long as my attention did start to wain.