Documentary Thread #2

Egg Shen

The Wolfpack

Crystal Moselle - creator of the HBO series Betty - made this documentary in 2015 about six teenage brothers who have spent the majority of their life confined to their parents 16th story apartment in the Lower East Side of Manhattan in New York. Their Dad is one of these mental people who thinks that the government are trying to brain wash everyone and that the outside world is unsafe so decided to keep him, his, wife and their seven kids locked in their apartment pretty much permanently.  They spend all their days - when not being homeschooled by their mum - watching, recreating and copying out the scripts from subtitles to all their favourite movies.

It's a fascinating look into isolation and how people develop social skills in that kind of situation. You can really tell by the way they speak that they've learnt everything they know of the world from films, especially Tarantino ones. I'd also happily watch their full recreation of Pulp Fiction. It looked great.

20 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

The Wolfpack

Crystal Moselle - creator of the HBO series Betty - made this documentary in 2015 about six teenage brothers who have spent the majority of their life confined to their parents 16th story apartment in the Lower East Side of Manhattan in New York. Their Dad is one of these mental people who thinks that the government are trying to brain wash everyone and that the outside world is unsafe so decided to keep him, his, wife and their seven kids locked in their apartment pretty much permanently.  They spend all their days - when not being homeschooled by their mum - watching, recreating and copying out the scripts from subtitles to all their favourite movies.

It's a fascinating look into isolation and how people develop social skills in that kind of situation. You can really tell by the way they speak that they've learnt everything they know of the world from films, especially Tarantino ones. I'd also happily watch their full recreation of Pulp Fiction. It looked great.

Sounds really good - where did you watch it?

The first part of the 3-part BBC documentary on Rupert Murdoch, The Rise of the Murdoch Dynasty, that aired last night is well worth a watch. We all know how much he's manipulated British politics (I don't want to use 'influenced' as the connotations are too positive) but even with that awareness in mind, I was shocked at the extent of it. 

It's a depressing watch in many ways, but it's also pretty fascinating. 

• Paid Members

Superb documentary on iPlayer atm, first of five parts. It’s called Once Upon a Time in Iraq, the premise really doesn’t sell it but I enjoyed every minute of it, for want of a better word. It’s a talking head piece with interviews from some great characters from the Iraqi and US side, I even warmed to the nutcase marine by the end. Some of the stories are harrowing but there are others that manage to almost generate a smile, either way they’re stories that should be heard. One of the Iraqi guys that worked as a translator for a journalist when was a teenager is so engaging, the way he talks about the optimism he had for US “liberation” and what it rapidly turned in to is heartbreaking. 

Perfect viewing to rile you up before you watch the Murdoch doc talked about above. The parallels between that and Succession are hilarious and not at all subtle. 

• Paid Members
46 minutes ago, waters44 said:

Speaking of Sky Documentaries -

Midnight Family is on this Saturday night at 22:55. It’s the story of a family running a private ambulance in Mexico City

Caught this at the cinema, a superb piece of work, recommended to everyone.

On 7/14/2020 at 7:01 PM, wordsfromlee said:

The Wolfpack

Saw this a few years back, really enjoyed it. For some reason, the part where they're dancing to Tarzan Boy put a massive smile on my face. Something about how much fun they seem to be having doing something as simple as that. I don't know, it warmed my cynical heart.

2 hours ago, lars85 said:

Saw this a few years back, really enjoyed it. For some reason, the part where they're dancing to Tarzan Boy put a massive smile on my face. Something about how much fun they seem to be having doing something as simple as that. I don't know, it warmed my cynical heart.

Felt exactly the same lars, brought a tear to my eye...

Rockfield: The Studio on the Farm

BBC Four premiered this great doc on one of the best recording studios in the world last night. Some great stories from bands like Black Sabbath, Hawkwind, Oasis and The Stone Roses completely off their faces causing mischief in the Welsh countryside while recording some of the biggest records ever made. I was originally supposed to be going their for my stag do but it never ended up happening because of coronavirus.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000l3vn/rockfield-the-studio-on-the-farm