Documentary Thread #2

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Magnum Milano said:

Apologies if this has been posted already and I possibly should've posted it in On Topic, but was searching through the documentaries on All4 and just noticed they have both the Dark Side of the Ring (6 episodes) and The Wresters (10 episodes) series' up  for streaming.

I only just got around to watching the Dark Side of the Ring series a few weeks back. Nothing really earth shattering (apart from Cornette suddenly deciding he was the mastermind behind the Montreal screwjob) but enjoyed most of them. Does anyone know when the second series is supposed to be out? Sure I read there’s going to be episodes on the whole Benoit thing and the death of Dino Bravo. 

Just now, wandshogun09 said:

I only just got around to watching the Dark Side of the Ring series a few weeks back. Nothing really earth shattering (apart from Cornette suddenly deciding he was the mastermind behind the Montreal screwjob) but enjoyed most of them. Does anyone know when the second series is supposed to be out? Sure I read there’s going to be episodes on the whole Benoit thing and the death of Dino Bravo. 

The Jimmy Snuka and Nancy Argentino case was another that was rumoured to be under consideration.

No idea when the second series is due out or even if they've completed all the interviews yet.  I do remember something from Meltzer on Twitter from the latter half of last year about how he had recommended Jericho, Chavo Jr and Sandra Toffoloni (Nancy's sister) as people who they must interview for the Benoit episode, although from her responses at the time they hadn't yet contacted Sandra.

• 2 weeks later...

I watched this probably well over a decade ago and ever since I'd think about and wonder if it was real or I'd made it up, for some reason never searching. I clicked on a link from a food youtuber and it was the documentary!

I'd have loved to be shouted at and thrown out by Kenny but he sadly died in 2018.

Midnight Family

In Mexico City, there are less than 50 ambulances for 9 million people, so there are people that operate “private ambulances”. I had no idea about any of this, so this documentary that follows the Ochoa family was really eye opening.

It’s incredibly bleak, with moments of humour, but utterly fascinating and moves at a fair old pace. I honestly couldn’t take my eyes off it. Highly recommended.

• Paid Members

Watched the first couple of parts of The Pharmacist and binned it. It wasn't too bad but I doubt I want to watch two more hours of this, it should just have been feature length or made into a proper film. With Richard Jenkins in the lead.

47 minutes ago, waters44 said:

I really want to check that out, where did you see it?

My friends flatmate reviews films and she had a screener so watched it round theirs*

Quick scan of Google shows it’s playing in most arty-farty place from this week. Well worth seeking out.

*sounds wanky. Sorry.

• Paid Members
On 2/20/2020 at 11:50 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

Watched the first couple of parts of The Pharmacist and binned it. It wasn't too bad but I doubt I want to watch two more hours of this, it should just have been feature length or made into a proper film. With Richard Jenkins in the lead.

Yeah, I seen the previews to it and was bambozzled that was it was a mini-series. It would have worked miles better as a feature length documentary.

• Paid Members

Midnight Family

Caught this at the local artisan ponce cinema. Just a really simple documentary that tells a story in a really non-judgmental way. Also, unexpectedly, features two of the best car chases you'll see this year. Absolutely superb.

• Paid Members
On 2/16/2020 at 9:42 PM, Merzbow said:

I watched this probably well over a decade ago and ever since I'd think about and wonder if it was real or I'd made it up, for some reason never searching. I clicked on a link from a food youtuber and it was the documentary!

I'd have loved to be shouted at and thrown out by Kenny but he sadly died in 2018.

Watched this years ago when I could access Netflix US.  Cracking doc, but I’d never eat there, it was fucking minging.