Documentary Thread #2

Egg Shen

On 10/24/2019 at 10:15 PM, Egg Shen said:

still looking out for the latest ESPN 30 for 30, Chuck and Tito. Cant find it anywhere?

Did find out though that ESPN has a ÂŁ9.99 a month subscription service (or ÂŁ69.99 a year) that gives you access to the full 30 for 30 catalogue, full E:60 catalogue and a shit ton of other ESPN films. You also get loads of live American sports chucked in like college football. I may have to pay for a few months and bings on those documentaries.

Unsure if you’ve managed to watch the chuck and Tito 30 for 30 but I believe it is on bt sport tomorrow night if not.

1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

A more fun new one is Rich Hall's Red Menace, on the iPlayer. Might be my favourite of the BBC4 history docs he's done - right balance of funny and informative, looking at the Cold War, and the history of American fear of Communism and Russia, with some good tangents into relevant pop culture.

Absolutely banging soundtrack, too.

Ooh nice one, that's my viewing sorted, thanks!  Rich Hall's stuff for BBC is always of the highest quality.  Currently reading his Magnificent Bastards book and you read it in his voice.

• Paid Members

Ha, I missed @BomberPat's post about that and just tagged you on Twitter, @Keith Houchen, to watch it, somebody on Letterboxd tipped me off about it. But yes, it's very good as always and the bit about Doctor Zhivago was right up there with his best rants.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Watched Hitsville: The Making of Motown over the weekend. Pretty much as entertaining as you'd expect for all the music, but Berry Gordy and Smokey Robinson make for a brilliant double-act and I could have listened to hours more of them.

The Babushkas of Chernobyl doesn't focus quite as much on the lovely old ladies who live in the Chernobyl exclusion zone as I would have liked, but it's still a nice little film. They're all wonderful, bless them all.

Amanda Knox was a weird one in that it was clearly quite rushed and could have been easily as long as one of the documentary serials Netflix have done. Still good though, and it reminded me of that lunatic Flaming June's rant about how she shouldn't be locked up because she was too attractive.

I watched that Netflix doc on Foxy Knoxy back when it came out so cant really remember it too well but I remember liking it. 

I finally got to see Blue Note Records: Beyond The Notes, the film about legendary jazz record label Blue Note Records, as it’s been uploaded onto the iPlayer. If you’re already a jazz fan you’ll learn nothing new but to see Herbie Hancock and Wayne Shorter still killing it into their 80s is a sight to behold. 

• Paid Members
On 11/6/2019 at 9:27 AM, BomberPat said:

Yeah, I was just in the middle of editing my post when you'd replied, to say that I take it back, and it absolutely should have been a series.

There's some "character study" stuff of some of the key players that they could afford to lose, and they could have hit the key bullet points in an hour, but giving it more time allows them to show more of the actual trial, which is by far the most powerful part of the whole documentary for me.

dunno if i missed it, but what actually led to him being arrested in the first place?

• Paid Members
Just now, Egg Shen said:

dunno if i missed it, but what actually led to him being arrested in the first place?

his name was on a list of ethnic Ukrainians living in the US that were suspected of Nazi collaboration, and I think maybe the alleged ID card was already in circulation at this point?

Once survivors had identified his photo, the Justice Department requested that his citizenship be revoked on the grounds of having lied about Nazi activities on his immigration application, which then eventually led to Israel requesting extradition. 

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty sure a few of here will know about this but every chance they may not.....

Cleanin' Up the Town: Remembering Ghostbusters

I first became aware of this around 2008 i think it was, had pretty much given up any hope of it coming to fruition as after the various crowfunding and kick start efforts to keep the momentum going it all went quiet again. Would pop up again and then go quiet again, rinse and repeat. Finally though it's got to the point of release and was premiered last week in London. Still early days so not sure how it will work in terms of a streaming release date but it looks very promising and the brother/sister involved in making it a reality really seem to have went above and beyond the call of duty on this one.

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, Divorced Dad said:

There's a really good episode of Netflix's new series 'The Movies That Made Us' dedicated to Ghostbusters. Goes into all the troubles they had getting the film made etc. 

The Dirty Dancing, Home Alone and Die Hard episodes are good too. 

That series is great, though I think has less substance to it than The Toys That Made Us, most likely because the nature of the beast is that they couldn't get the major players involved in a movie series the way they could in a toy one. Pretty depressing how every episode seems to end with, "and now here's five minutes talking about everyone involved that's dead now", though. 

• Paid Members

I do worry that Netflix might be overdoing the crime documentary 'limited' series but The Confession Killer really is excellent stuff.

Not one of theirs where it's best to now know anything about the background, like with Evil Genius (which was also excellent), but the way it morphs into a critique of law enforcement halfway through is fascinating.