Documentary Thread #2

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

theres 2 different films?

Fyre (Netflix) and Fyre Fraud (Hulu)

6 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I was only aware of the Netflix one.

On the wiki page it says Jerry Media co-produced who were the social media consultants but had no financial affiliation with Fyre or the festival and probably didn't even get paid for their work.

32 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

fair points from you both.

Was there much much difference between what i posted though and what several people were openly posting about the Fyre documentary on the previous page? Genuine question.

The Fyre guy became a meme in the last few weeks so was probably more familiar than Uncle B, plus it was a fairly big story in recent times.  However I doubt anyone had heard of the Abducted story had it not been for the doc, so the whole thing was new information.

Enjoying that Lucy Worsley series American History’s Biggest Fibs a lot. I find her a very good presenter, and one for the unconventional hotties thread, but her speech impediment is throwing me.

Obviously, not the fact that she has one, but more the fact that I can’t quite work out what it is. I think she struggles with r’s, but then she pronounces other words perfectly. It’s really distracting me, and I feel bad for it. But it’s an interesting series. I’m sure history buffs won’t learn an awful lot new, but I have.

Also watched Alt-Right: Age of Rage which focuses on mostly the Charlottesville incidents in 2017, and the political climate in the states. Was good, but be warned, there is a LOT of Richard Spencer in it.

• Paid Members

Horror Noire

It's on the Shudder subscription channel, which has a 7-day free trial. Really good - goes into the history of black people and horror. There's a bunch of stuff I knew, but also a bunch I didn't, and some stuff that just made me annoyed that I hadn't actively noticed (like the lack of black people in 1950s SF horror). Not exactly heavyweight or anything, but an interesting watch.

• Paid Members

Evil Genius is really good. It does have one oversight in the whole Pizza Bomber case, but otherwise it's really thorough and interesting and justifies the length it goes into the case. Well worth watching.

Has anyone seen Free Solo?

They're showing it on National Geographic in a couple of week and the trailer looks good and I've heard great things but I'm worried it'll be basically an hour and a half long version of one of those videos of mental Ukrainian kids dangling from cranes. I don't fancy sweating out all the moisture in my body through my palms.