Documentary Thread #2

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
On 1/20/2019 at 10:54 AM, Cod Eye said:

Wonder is Netflix or someone will ever do a documentary covering some of the many indie wrestling shitshows that have occured over the years in the same way as the Fyre doc? Or maybe we can sell them the story of that feller who's Mrs told his she was allowed into the ring to do some "moves" at a random show(The thread is still in GOLD, and is a brilliant read!)....

I'd love a doc about WrestleXpress and that whole fiasco.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Danny Dyer's Right Royal Family is surprisingly the best thing on telly at the moment. Don't @ me, or I'll get @Scott Malbranque onto you.

Halfway though the Sunderland Till I Die series. Absolutely compelling. @ColinBollocks isn't wrong with his comments about Martin Bain- he looks like a fictitious chairman straight out of Dream Team that will threaten people with a claim that he 'knows people'. I couldn't stop beaming when Josh Maja scored against Fulham. A documentary about a team slowly falling to shit makes much better viewing that overwhelming success, like the City one (although I did enjoy that too).

I've been on an Adam Curtis youtube binge. I really like his scattergun approach and use of pop culture references, even if I often struggle to follow the underlying thread, but that's fine. It's really interesting how he manages to pick out hitherto unknown figures who nevertheless had a major influence in shaping modern society. The last one I watched was "Every Day Is Like Sunday" about the shift in tabloid journalism in the 70s which I found fascinating for its unravelling of press barons and their role in government. Hypernormalisation, about the origins of "fake news" was an almost 3 hour headfuck that took in everything from Russian sci fi to the Lockerbie bombing, debunking Gaddafi and the shortcomings of Freudian psychology. I needed a lie down after it.

• Paid Members

The Ted Bundy series on Netflix is absolutely superb. It had a similar sort of extremely in-depth and deeply researched feel to OJ: Made in America, and it really doesn't gloss over anything at all. Really highly recommended.

• Paid Members

I've got that one on my list after Making a Murderer, which I'm finally getting round to.

The Bundy one is great work. Has to be said, I wonder what the victims' families must have made of the idea of having Bundy's interviews basically play narrator over a lot of it, seeing as though that's almost exactly how he would have wanted it. It made for something quite different though.

• Paid Members

For those that enjoyed the Bundy doc, definitely check out the book The Only Living Witness. The book is co-written by the same bloke that interviewed Bundy in prison and is loaded with far more detail and, because of this, is fairly impossible to put down. It made the docu-series a bit underwhelming for me because they miss out an incredible amount of detail. 

To paraphrase Bob Mortimer, the Netflix docu-series is a bit Ted Bundy Lite.

Edited by ColinBollocks
Morrissey the racist.

MV5BMTc0NWM3ZGItMzlmZC00NDRmLWJlZmUtMjkz

Watched this tonight. Pretty great doc about 3 twins who were separated at birth. Then in the 80s when they're 19 they get reunited and the crazy path it takes them on.

Highly recommend it and I'd say it's one of those that will be a lot more interesting if you don't read anything about it prior to watching like I did.

It's co-made with Channel 4 so I wouldn't be surprised if they air in at some point this year.

I'm not sure if this belongs here but I think it does. Anyone watched 'Trigger Warning with Killer Mike' on Netflix?  It's 6 documentary style episodes around different topics, I really enjoyed it. The episode where he makes the rap group with the white supremacist sticks out in particular.