Documentary Thread #2

Egg Shen

On 9/15/2019 at 8:40 PM, Thunderplex said:

Watched something very similar to this a couple of years ago where a guy was climbing what looked like a sheer cliff face in South America.  Got me that churned up I had to pause it half way through to check google that the bastard hadn’t fallen off.

Edited by MPDTT

On 9/15/2019 at 8:59 AM, Frankie Crisp said:

Free Solo.

Chronicles the attempt of some mad bastard who wants to climb Yosemite’s El Capitan (3,200 feet) without any harnesses or safety gear. Just him and a bit of chalk. Uncomfortably wonderful to watch and it’s only at the very end that you realise the scale of what he’s doing. I’ve watched it twice this week. It’s incredible.

It’s on Channel 4 catch-up.

It is incredible. I'd recommend Yosemite to anyone doing a West Coast US trip. Spent 3 fantastic days there.

I watched 'The Legend of Jimmy the Greek' from the ESPN 30 for 30 series last night.

The first two season's were relatively priced on eBay a few months back so I picked them up (aswell as the Film series), always wanting to watch the documentaries but never having had (bar the one on the Ben Johnson final from the Seoul Olympics that BBC4 showed once) .  I've been delving in and out and they are tremendously done.  Even sports which I wouldn't say I'm much of a fan of I find myself gripped by the stories, especially the American Football and Basketball ones.  The 'Birth of Big Air' about Mat Hoffman was another great watch, although some of the spills he takes are harrowing (one notable one in particular) and the list of injuries he's suffered is frightening (100 plus concussions, two comas for starters).  I could probably end up listing everyone I've watched as 'recommended' but just a final thumbs up for 'The Fab Five' and 'Who Killed the USFL?' too.

• Paid Members

They are a fantastic series. 'Chasing Tyson', and the ones on Wayne Gretzky and Bo Jackson are also very good, though I would say you'd struggle to find a bad one in the lot. I haven't seen anywhere near as many of them as I'd like, but I haven't been disappointed in any of the episodes I've watched. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
On 9/21/2019 at 6:41 PM, WeeAl said:

They are a fantastic series. 'Chasing Tyson', and the ones on Wayne Gretzky and Bo Jackson are also very good, though I would say you'd struggle to find a bad one in the lot. I haven't seen anywhere near as many of them as I'd like, but I haven't been disappointed in any of the episodes I've watched. 

"Without Bias" is the one that always brings me to tears. Even now if I watched it again.

7 hours ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

"Without Bias" is the one that always brings me to tears. Even now if I watched it again.

His parents came across as amazing people.  To lose one son must've been hell (and Len Bias looked like he literally had the world at his feet), but then to go on and have their other son murdered.  Can't even begin to imagine what that is like.

I've started watching World War II in Colour on Netflix, 3 or 4 episodes in now. It's fascinating. If you're a history buff then I'm sure it's nothing new to you but I feel like it's the perfect introduction if you're like me and know next to nothing about it. I'm amazed at how much footage they actually had of the war. 

History is a subject I'm really not good on, and I often feel ignorant if some things come up in conversation. I knew nothing of what Europe was like in the lead up to the second war, and it explains the rise of Nazi power and the conflicts between Japan and China, and the Spanish Civil War well. 

The episode I watched last night covered Germany's attempt to take over the Soviet, and the scale of it is unfathomable. Taking 300,000+ prisoners at a time.

Well worth checking out if you're like me and have never flicked the History channel on.

• Paid Members

It's the best feature documentary I've ever seen, a brilliant piece of work. Its director, Bart Layton, made American Animals last year which was also great and although not a documentary it's based on real events and uses real footage at times. If you liked The Imposter I'm sure it would interest you.

Also, the soundtrack for American Animals is *amazing*.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

well worth watching if you haven't seen it and especially if you know nothing about the story.

The last time I watched a documentary recommended in this topic which was described as "...especially if you know nothing about the story" was 'Three Identical Strangers'. That was really good and I'm pleased I went in to it oblivious, so I'm now intrigued by this one too.

Cheers. 

1 hour ago, dopper said:

The last time I watched a documentary recommended in this topic which was described as "...especially if you know nothing about the story" was 'Three Identical Strangers'. That was really good and I'm pleased I went in to it oblivious, so I'm now intrigued by this one too.

Cheers. 

Dear Zachary is another great one in the “especially if you know nothing about the story” too.