Documentary Thread #2

Egg Shen

On 2/9/2019 at 10:14 PM, wordsfromlee said:

MV5BMTc0NWM3ZGItMzlmZC00NDRmLWJlZmUtMjkz

Watched this tonight. Pretty great doc about 3 twins who were separated at birth. Then in the 80s when they're 19 they get reunited and the crazy path it takes them on.

Highly recommend it and I'd say it's one of those that will be a lot more interesting if you don't read anything about it prior to watching like I did.

It's co-made with Channel 4 so I wouldn't be surprised if they air in at some point this year.

This is on Channel 4 on Thursday at 9pm. I highly recommend it if you can.

• Paid Members

Bus 174 - Covers the 2000 hold-up of a bus in Rio and it's one of the very best documentaries you could wish to see. Covers the background of Sandro do Nascimento in incredible depth and shows how horribly deprived the poorest in Brazil really are. It's knocking around on DailyMotion if you want to see it, and you definitely should.

• 2 weeks later...

Beyond the Curve was really good. A much broader watch than I thought it would be, offering up a good mixture of the individuals involved on both sides, as well as the reasoning and justification for people choosing to believe such a trend. Thought it was hilarious how the director kept taking little shots at flat earthers, especially when 

They have the guy talk about the "misleading" connotation of a flat earther being someone who lives at home in his parents basement, before instantly cutting to the next guy who lives at home with his mum. The ending as well was fucking golden - disproving their theory completely but demonstrating once more how somebody can cling onto something despite all the evidence points in other directions.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Something that will probably only appeal to @Merzbow, I saw this on BBC4 the other night, Tones Drones and Arpeggios.  The Magic Of Minimalism.  It was fascinating.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b09tbh10/tones-drones-and-arpeggios-the-magic-of-minimalism-series-1-1-california 

I remember him appearing on late-night programmes in the early 90's, some of those Clive James shows maybe?

At one of William Regal's "An Evening With..." shows a few years ago he was supported by a magician/illusionist called Mat Ricardo, and he did a trick where he appeared to slice through his forearm with a big knife - that was the thing that immediately reminded me of The Amazing Jonathan.

• Paid Members
20 hours ago, dopper said:

I remember him appearing on late-night programmes in the early 90's, some of those Clive James shows maybe?

He was definitely on The Jack Dee Show, not sure about Clive James. I think he also did The Secret Cabaret, but he was on TV quite a lot back then.

• 4 weeks later...