Documentary Thread #2

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Well it hooked me 😁 it probably could have been cut back and there's a few speculative angles in there that could probably have been cut out altogether, but if you enjoy the 30 for 30 series for example i think you'd enjoy this. Im about to dip into a 4+ hour podcast series on the story.

• Paid Members

It was a disappointment. It was stuck between being a 90 minute documentary that just focused on his convictions and a longer series that focused on the wider issues in detail, such as his upbringing, sexuality in sport, the culpability of the Patriots, and concussions. Ultimately it didn't focus on anything for very long, even at over three hours, and it was a missed opportunity. Netflix are becoming muddled with their documentary formatting.

• Paid Members
On 1/16/2020 at 3:19 PM, SuperBacon said:

Watched this last night. The story just isn’t interesting enough, apart from him being an elite athlete. 

i think the fact that he was such a high profile athlete is what hooked me in.

...that and the fact that Hernandez' missus looked exactly like Rumble Johnson in a wig.

51HSB55NCML._AC_.jpg

One Day in September (1999)

An old one (and I had no idea it was twenty years old) but a documentary that I re-watched last night for the first time in a while.  The documentary details the events surrounding the 1972 Munich Olympics where the Black September military group took members of the Israeli team hostage, and all eleven ended up losing their lives.  You get interviews from family members of the deceased, as well as an interview from the lone surviving member of the Black September group, now reportedly in hiding somewhere in North Africa.  There is plenty of news footage from '72 and you can't begin to imagine what this would've been like watching it play out in real time.  It also becomes apparent the number of mistakes made by the German authorities in the rescue attempt; one such thing being when they had planned to storm the room where the Israeli and militants were couped up, "surprising" them, only the attempt was being broadcast live on the news and it later turned out the militants were watching everything unfold and were waiting for them.  Fortunately for the authorities they pulled out of the attempt at the last minute, otherwise numerous more lives would've been lost.  There is also a book by Simon Reeve about the event, and both come highly recommended.

• Paid Members
On 1/19/2020 at 7:27 PM, johnnyboy said:

Won't You Be My Neighbor is up on Netflix.  Everyone should watch it and hug those closest to them.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80231412

(Also, if you're planning to see the Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood film, where Tom Hanks plays Fred Rogers, this will provide a lot of context if you want it and aren't familiar with Mr Rogers outside of pop culture references in American TV)

I seen this last year and remember, if only for an hour, being a better person.

The Tom Hanks film is wonderful too. My pal Tom does about as good a job as you can do capturing the charismatic pureness that was Mr Rogers.

Edited by ColinBollocks

I love the 24 hours in police custody series'. 

The latest on is on Channel 4 on demand, called "murder in the woods", it's a 2 parter, an hour each I think. 

Its about a bloke who gets murdered in some woods (surprise!), and the subsequent police investigation to catch the killer. Its a nice easy watch with a couple of slow reveals as it goes on. I think they're really well made shows. 

• 2 weeks later...