Documentary Thread #2

Egg Shen

Just putting this in here in case it's of interest to anyone. 

There's a team putting together what looks like a tremendous documentary on the life and music of Luke Bell, a promising traditional country music standout who looked set for big things but battled mental illness and, ultimately, ended up passing away in August of 2022, aged just 32. 

There's a Kickstarter page for it here, with various rewards. It's only got about two days to go until it's over but, thankfully, they've managed to reach their target!

Anyway, the initial footage looks promising and from what I know about Bell's story it should be a captivating story on screen. I can't wait to see it, personally, and chipped in enough to get a VOD copy of the documentary when it's completely (hopefully later this year).

Here's one of his signature songs, for the uninitiated: 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I watched The Greatest Night In Pop last night, the Netflix documentary about the making of "We Are The World".

It's an easy watch, and good fun. It has the same appeal of watching the video for that song, just amazement at them getting all these huge names in one room, and hearing about the logistics of putting it together, and of how they arranged it to showcase everyone's voices, was fascinating. Lots of Bob Dylan shuffling about awkwardly and mumbling, as you'd expect. 

There's a bit early on of Lionel Ritchie talking about being in a limo with Michael Jackson, and just phoning Stevie Wonder, that reminded me of an old Travelling Wilburys documentary, where George Harrison explains how they came to be a band, and it's just, "well, I was having lunch with Jeff and Roy and we decided we should record something together, and we knew Bob had a nice little studio, so we phoned him, but then I realised I'd left my guitar at Tom Petty's house". Simultaneously the height of rock star glamour and utterly mundane.

3 hours ago, BomberPat said:

I watched The Greatest Night In Pop last night, the Netflix documentary about the making of "We Are The World".

It's an easy watch, and good fun. It has the same appeal of watching the video for that song, just amazement at them getting all these huge names in one room, and hearing about the logistics of putting it together, and of how they arranged it to showcase everyone's voices, was fascinating. Lots of Bob Dylan shuffling about awkwardly and mumbling, as you'd expect. 

There's a bit early on of Lionel Ritchie talking about being in a limo with Michael Jackson, and just phoning Stevie Wonder, that reminded me of an old Travelling Wilburys documentary, where George Harrison explains how they came to be a band, and it's just, "well, I was having lunch with Jeff and Roy and we decided we should record something together, and we knew Bob had a nice little studio, so we phoned him, but then I realised I'd left my guitar at Tom Petty's house". Simultaneously the height of rock star glamour and utterly mundane.

Do they have all that lovely recording session footage. Was the bit in where Belafonte gets them all singing Day-O for fucking ages. For some reason it made me cringe so bloody much. Also I love spotting Dan Aykroyd being there like when an imposter sneaks onto a football pitch or awards show.

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, Chili said:

Was the bit in where Belafonte gets them all singing Day-O for fucking ages. 

It's in there, but framed as them kind of spontaneously doing it as a tribute to Belafonte after the recording, rather than him making them do it. There's a ton of great recording footage, and some really fun interactions between this mad combination of people. I think I laughed every single time Dan Aykroyd appeared on camera.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, DavidB6937 said:

Just seen there's a second season of The Jinx coming up which seems mad to me but I absolutely fucking adored the first one so I'm in.

Still one of the absolute maddest things I've ever seen. 

Defiance: Fighting the Far Right on Channel 4 is superb.

It's about the National Front, and how the Asian community in the 70s and 80s came together to fight them and their hatred.

A tough watch obviously, and for my liking too much Southall footage and not enough Hounslow footage, but a minor quibble.

Also on iplayer, Darren McGarvey The State We're In was an excellent watch.

If you don't know who he is, he is a Scottish rapper called Loki, has written books (Poverty Safari is well worth a read) and these 3 episodes concentrate on education, justice and care, and show places or initiatives that are wildly different to what's happening in the UK, while exploring the current state of those 3 sectors.

The schooling in Scandanavia seems radical, but in fact it's not when you think about it, but it is fascinating.

Really enjoyed it, and he's a great presenter and writer.